IGNORED

FINALLY Made up my mind, making a purchase tomorrow...not popular choice here though...

Huh? I will be able to do what with v20?

I will be able to play dsd over pc hdmi?

or I will be able control my volume from my pc for all my pc audio?

or something else i don't know what you are talking about?

v20 is going to have a WDM driver so that you can pass all system audio through the JRiver audio engine.

Then you will have their 64-bit volume control and other processing options for all audio playing on the computer.

v19 lets you either use their 64-bit volume control for audio playing in the program, or it can be set to control the system volume level. (32-bit floating point)

Do you work for jriver? I just noticed another user responded above who's handle is jriver?

If so, I like jriver, i used it quite a bit when i got it....i did dlna, i upsampled, but never really gave it full chance.....i started toying with both audiogate and foobar, and i like both of those for different reasons...i kind of have been using all 3...

I don't. I think the "jriver" person does though.
I'm unaware of that as a limitation (afaik).

Sorry... Are you saying there is a video card which is compatible with outputting DSD to a receiver via HDMI? If so this would be a holy grail for some...

I'm not talking about DoP but "native" DSD as output by an SACD compatible bluray player such as the Oppo 105 or a Marantz UD7007, etc.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you are saying that HDMI1.2 is sufficient for DSD then you are correct ... but ONLY if the transmitter supports it and (afaik) there is no support for DSD over HDMI with any computer hardware.

If I am wrong then I would be interested in know what HDMI hardware supports DSD from a computer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you are saying that HDMI1.2 is sufficient for DSD then you are correct ... but ONLY if the transmitter supports it and (afaik) there is no support for DSD over HDMI with any computer hardware.

If I am wrong then I would be interested in know what HDMI hardware supports DSD from a computer.

Eloise

You are totally right, I just tried to give more argument to the fact that the limit is the computer hardware.

• 1 month later...
v20 is going to have a WDM driver so that you can pass all system audio through the JRiver audio engine.

Then you will have their 64-bit volume control and other processing options for all audio playing on the computer.

Can you clarify this? Do i have to jriver running? It would be nice if there was a driver that would the pc speaker volume control all programs. RIght now, the pc speaker says "korg wdm audio device", but the pc volume control has NO effect.

wdm.jpg

PS, update to thread...i still never bought a new receiver. I am now running an older denon avr as a preamp to a NAD amplifier with a KORG dsd dac. I am very satisfied with the SQ, but I also know its just a matter of time before i change it again (grin). I am going to sell the KORG DSD DAC and buy a herus for one, and i picked up some vintage infinity speakers with the emit-r tweeters, and they are awesome....not sure what is next.

• 1 year later...
Just be aware that (afaik) there is no way of getting DSD (directly) out of a computer via HDMI.
Ah. Just noticed this is a very old thread and post. There is no problem doing this today.

Explain please. I can send DSD from my PC streamer via HDMI to my prepros. Are you saying something else?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile