IGNORED

Airplay speakers or airport express-connected speakers?

Hi everyone!

I would need some help to complete my sound configuration in my (big) living room.

I am now mostly listening my music through Airplay, one my hi if amplifier and speakers connected to an airport express. My problem is that they are on one side of the room and I have nothing on the other side.

I would like to fill that gap and put 2 speakers there, but I am not sure what to go for, either airplay speakers or 'normal' speakers with another airport express to be able to play them airplay..

My criteria:

- I want to be able to play these 2 speakers either alone or together with my hi fi (not

- sound quality of course

- I don't want huge speakers

I hope you will be able to help me!

thanks a lot

Anne

Why not try each alternative in your room and see which you like best and fits your budget?

The advantage of the Airplay speaker is that it will contain the wireless receiver, the amplifier and the speaker in one package.

But you'll have more choices, and more wires, with separate component parts. And maybe better sound!

Hi everyone!

I would need some help to complete my sound configuration in my (big) living room.

I am now mostly listening my music through Airplay, one my hi if amplifier and speakers connected to an airport express. My problem is that they are on one side of the room and I have nothing on the other side.

I would like to fill that gap and put 2 speakers there, but I am not sure what to go for, either airplay speakers or 'normal' speakers with another airport express to be able to play them airplay..

My criteria:

- I want to be able to play these 2 speakers either alone or together with my hi fi (not

- sound quality of course

- I don't want huge speakers

I hope you will be able to help me!

thanks a lot

Anne

Two issues with using seperate AirPlay devices for sides of room.

1) if you are AirPlaying from an iOS device such as iPad or iPhone you can only stream to one device at a time. If you are streaming iTunes from your computer though, you can stream to multiples at the same time.

2) I have had timing issues when streaming to multiple AirPlay devices. Some have not but I find it doesn't QUITE sync he and I notice a very slight lag between the two.

The best solution is to have whatever you are powering your other speakers with be the source fir whatever speakers you use on the other side of the room.

David

Thanks a lot for your very helpful answers!

I had the same information elsewhere in parallel; If I go for airplay devices I won't be able to play them all together but will have to choose one or the other, which is what I don't want.

@realhifi, have you tried playing in sync with several devices each connected to an airport express? Would be good to know if there is a lag like you've experienced with airplay devices

I also like the idea of 'simply' going for speakers powered by the same speakers as on the other side of the room... I guess that should be possible since my amp still has some available connections... I'm just wondering what sort of speakers then, not sure wifi is possible as my amp is connected to an airport express itself.. Bluetooth? (but how is the sound quality with Bluetooth?)

thanks again!

Thanks a lot for your very helpful answers!

I had the same information elsewhere in parallel; If I go for airplay devices I won't be able to play them all together but will have to choose one or the other, which is what I don't want.

@realhifi, have you tried playing in sync with several devices each connected to an airport express? Would be good to know if there is a lag like you've experienced with airplay devices

I also like the idea of 'simply' going for speakers powered by the same speakers as on the other side of the room... I guess that should be possible since my amp still has some available connections... I'm just wondering what sort of speakers then, not sure wifi is possible as my amp is connected to an airport express itself.. Bluetooth? (but how is the sound quality with Bluetooth?)

thanks again!

You lost me. List all of your equipment and I can sort out a direction for you.

David

Oops, I'm sorry.

So for now my configuration is pretty simple, my router is in one room, connected to an AirPort Extreme. In my living room I have an amp (NAD) with floor standing speakers (Dynaudio), the amp being connected to an Airport Express.

It works well so far, I am mostly playing from my iPad or iPhone, the only thing is my living room is very large (with a kitchen area as well), and I would like to fill that space with sound. With as few wires as possible of course ;-) (by the way I only have one socket on the other side of the room)

thanks!

Oops, I'm sorry.

So for now my configuration is pretty simple, my router is in one room, connected to an AirPort Extreme. In my living room I have an amp (NAD) with floor standing speakers (Dynaudio), the amp being connected to an Airport Express.

It works well so far, I am mostly playing from my iPad or iPhone, the only thing is my living room is very large (with a kitchen area as well), and I would like to fill that space with sound. With as few wires as possible of course ;-) (by the way I only have one socket on the other side of the room)

thanks!

To do it without wires I would do this.

1) Sonos Connect on into your amp $350

2) Sonos Connect Amp on other side of the room $500

3) Small pair of bookshelf speakers for Sonos Amp $400-$600

Possibly a bit more than you want to spend but it will be done right and you will love the Sonos app on your iPad along with having those two zones synch perfectly.

David