IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

I have exactly the same here. Ethernet connected Aries updated to 4.0 and then 4.0.0 (the latter one has fixed the Roon volume control).

huh? 4.0.0? :-0

looks my Aries too is now on 4.0.0 but did it all on its own :rolleyes:

I was, instead, prompted for (and asked if I wanted to) install 4.0: this is the way I'd like updates to happen! :angry:

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

the Aries has a 4GB "HD" ;)

but I believe caching happens in RAM instead

Edit: oops, been slow :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I understand the convenience and Roon is great indeed (paid for a lifetime subscribtion and using it most of the time)

though the Aries sounds sensibly better standalone, using Lightning DS, than as "Roon device" ;)

not to mention only streaming service available in Roon is Tidal which... sorry: during my trial I spent 98% of the time skipping through stuff I didn't like :P

headphones system:

To me, the Aries is lacking a degree of transparency and subtlety and replaces that with a bit of bloated bass.

exactly all the other way around here :P

headphones system:

we were comparing the Aries used as RoonReady device vs. standalone (using Lightning DS), I believe

or, at least, that's what I was comparing :P

headphones system:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all

lately I'm keeping an eye on a new "soon-ish" available Vinnie Rossi's PS based on his Lio Ultracaps technology

with a max output of 12v/2.5A looks an ideal match for the Aries too :)

wandering if it may bring even further, than the JS-2 I'm currently powering it from, Arie's SQ

thoughts?

headphones system:

Elijha Audio still makes on custom order its great Isolate CU and recently introduced the Konvertible Lite

The first one has no 5v bus wire at all, the latter has ground and 5v wires separate from data ones. 5v wire can be connected or disconnected

I'm using both: Isolate from Aries to USB Regen and a very short Konvertible from Regen to DAC (my DAC doesn't need 5v bus at all)

headphones system:

you can find out by masking the 5v pin of a plain USB cable (pinout is easy to find on the net) ;)

headphones system:

• 1 month later...

@Hauser had something similar happen to my Aries a couple weeks ago: playback suddenly stopped and Aries vanished from my network. Tried resetting (one... two... three times...) and it was always starting up with the WiFi icon but I could not connect from my iPad :-/

Unplugging the power cord, leaving it unplugged for a while then restarting solved the issue and, as in your case, everything was automagically back as usual :-|

headphones system:

• 1 month later...

Yes: during Lightning DS beta I reported that my Aries (femto) was *sometimes* stopping playback after first track of an album

It happens when I start playback, from Qobuz streaming, using the small "play" icon on album's cover

I was told it's an Aries firmware issue, not Lightning DS'

headphones system:

• 1 month later...

are you turning your Aries off and on?

are you on latest firmware (4.1)?

headphones system:

only happened once, here, after the reboot that followed fw 4.1 update

tried contacting Aralic support?

headphones system:

I found the Sbooster to be an improvement over the Aries power supply. I can't comment on the others that you mention, but the Sbooster has had some very positive feedback.

just to be sure: are you talking about an Aries, Aries LE or Aries Mini?

no idea about the SBooster but tried and found, with my Aries, that:

- HDPlex 100w was better than stock LPS

- UpTone's JS-2 was wow!

- Vinnie Rossi's Mini-Pure-4evr blows even the UpTone away :)

headphones system:

In Lightning DS go to "Settings (clogwheel)/Lightning Device/Output" and pick the Metrum ;)

headphones system:

1. yes

2. plays up to DSD-256 (if I'm not mistaken). my DAC only does up to DSD-128 and I never had an issue with these. but never tried Iso: all my DSD files are dsf

3. yes (for local files. obviously not not for streaming services). jfyi: search is very powerful and fast ;)

headphones system:

Could one of the owners here measure if Plus is the inner contact, or the outer contact?

I've been using an UpTone Audio JS-2 with my Aries so... definitely center positive ;)

headphones system:

Could you elaborate on the sonic differences?

same as when you replaced Aries' stock LPS with the JS-2: darker background, more air, better focus/soundstage etc

you get some more of that all when moving from the JS-2 to the Mini-PureDC

now... $1000 more? no, but if you have something else that would benefit from being powered by the JS-2 (I'm now using it for both a Mac mini and a 2Qute, the latter was previously powered by the HD-Plex)... imho worth it

and I believe Vinnie has a 30 days return policy (check about this)

headphones system:

• 5 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

12v dc in

current generation runs just fine off of a 12v PS: it just needs 1.5A instead of 1.0

in fact I'm powering my femto Aries from a 12v Vinnie Rossi ultracapacitors LPS ;) 

headphones system:

54 minutes ago, Leeuwarden said:

Any interesting changes?

who knows? latest beta they care to mention and write about, on Auralic support site, still is 4.1.0 :|

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...

wait guys: my Aries doesn't see anymore the NAS share where all my music files are

as soon as I hit "Rescan" it just unmounts it O.o

contacted support and waiting for a a reply

headphones system:

11 minutes ago, sebassie said:

My music is on a NAS running minimserver. So far no problems.

so... you're not accessing it as an SMB share from the Aries, which is what brings up the issue I have

headphones system:

... and on fw 5.0beta-1 my Aries was also abruptly stopping playback after a while, when used as RoonReady output device, and vanishing from the network :-/

I'm back to *non beta* fw 4.1.0 and won't move from here :|

also back to non beta Lightning DS

still can't access the NAS share anymore :mad:

headphones system:

at least on 4.1.0 I can still use it as RoonReady device (playback is again flawless) and for streaming Qobuz

as soon as I get confirmation SMB is working again I'll *maybe* re-try a beta. *MAYBE*!!! :P

headphones system:

8 minutes ago, Anthro said:

It is called a beta for a reason. Do not try this beta if you can't live with the possibility of losing a stable audio platform.

darling... I have no problem living with it

even though... I'm really astonished they released even just a beta with such a big bug in such a basic function 9_9

and I just though it would be wise to alert others about it

headphones system:

3 hours ago, Anthro said:

You missed that one big bug a few beta's back that accidentally bricked Aries units that updated through ethernet cable instead of WiFi?

No, I didn't: my Aries took a trip to China and back last year 9_9

headphones system: