IGNORED

basic beginner question

Hi guys, question is related to how I can rip CDs to NAS and and store 24bit music.

I been using iTunes to download music and rip some of my CDs (default mode, not even lossless) and playing via Sonos and iPod.

I just brought a new hifi system and can't quite get my head around how to redo everything, especially how to set the NAS

I use a PC with iTunes for iPod, Macbook laptop (business trips), Sonos system (whole flat) and Rotel RA-12 hi fi system (living room)

My question is how should I go about re-ripping my CDs and storing hi-def music (brought from HDtracks) on my NAS?

I read most people use DBpoweramp to rip CDs to multi formats, FLAC and AIFF (purely for iPod/iphone/itunes)

My NAS has 1 folder at the moment, the default iTunes/iTunes Media

Do I create 3 additional folders on NAS?

'FLAC-CDs'......for cds

'FLAC-24bits'........for online purchases

'For iTunes only'........DBpoweramp AIFF rips

If the above method is correct, after ripping, I just reopen iTunes and import the "For iTunes only' folder?

thanks all

Hi guys, question is related to how I can rip CDs to NAS and and store 24bit music.

I been using iTunes to download music and rip some of my CDs (default mode, not even lossless) and playing via Sonos and iPod.

I just brought a new hifi system and can't quite get my head around how to redo everything, especially how to set the NAS

I use a PC with iTunes for iPod, Macbook laptop (business trips), Sonos system (whole flat) and Rotel RA-12 hi fi system (living room)

My question is how should I go about re-ripping my CDs and storing hi-def music (brought from HDtracks) on my NAS?

I read most people use DBpoweramp to rip CDs to multi formats, FLAC and AIFF (purely for iPod/iphone/itunes)

My NAS has 1 folder at the moment, the default iTunes/iTunes Media

Do I create 3 additional folders on NAS?

'FLAC-CDs'......for cds

'FLAC-24bits'........for online purchases

'For iTunes only'........DBpoweramp AIFF rips

If the above method is correct, after ripping, I just reopen iTunes and import the "For iTunes only' folder?

thanks all

Why are you ripping & buying FLAC? What system are you playing FLAC files? You appear to be in an Apple Ecosystem. What system are you playing 24-bit FLAC? Sonos is not compatible with 24-bit AFAIK but Sonos is compatible with ALAC/AIFF files.

You can purchase 24-bit AIFF or ALAC files but not sure where you can play them. Unless you are doing it only for archival purposes.

DBpoweramp is a great program and can do the down conversion and/or format conversion. I do not know if its the best method but it works for me.

NAS file structure should be whatever makes sense to you. It is easy enough to point iTunes, Sonos, or whatever to the correct folder.

Perhaps a better definition of how you play your files might help define what is required. The iPod is clear enough but is it Sonos direct to your Rotel? Do you just plug headphones into your Macbook?

chris

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Hi Boshk,

Do you have the Rotel RT-12 tuner / network audio player as part of your RA-12 system and intending to stream your FLAC files over the network to it from the NAS?

If so, then you may several issues with it.

It requires a UPnP media server running on the NAS to provide the RT-12 with the music files as it cannot access the NAS using network shares. I would recommend the excellent free MinimServer, as opposed to using the default one provided by the NAS which tend to be quite buggy and may not even work with all network players. However, MinimServer can only be installed on certain makes of NAS, eg Synology, QNAP and Netgear ReadyNAS, see:

MinimServer features

The RT-12 is reported to not support network streaming music files with resolutions higher than 24 bit depth / 48 kHz, even though its DAC supports up to 24 bit / 192 kHz.

It is also said that it only supports network streaming as a UPnP player and not also as a UPnP renderer. This means you can pull music files to it with its remote control or buttons on the box or its dedicated iDevice remote control app, but you can't use third party controllers, ie UPnP control points, to push files to it.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am ripping existing CDs to 16bit FLAC and buying FLAC 24bit format purely for hi def.

I play 24bit via MacBook laptop using audirvana via minijack toslink into RA-12 amp.

The reason why I am also ripping CDs to 2nd format Apple lossless is purely for iTunes and Sonos system since its limited to 16bits.

Does that make sense or am I going about it the hard way?