IGNORED

UpTone JS-2 Power Supply Listening Impressions

Hi Alex,

As you know,I am currently using a JS-2 to power an iFi Pro iDSD on one rail set to 12V, with great results. The second rail is presently set at 7V and powers an ultrarendu. I now envision adding an iFI Pro iCAN to my system.

Both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iCAN are rated at 9V/6.7A -18V/3.35A, which if my math is correct translates to 12V/5A.

My question: would it be safe to power both the iDSD and the iCAN from the same JS-2 with both rails set to 12V, given that the JS-2 is topped at 7A for both rails combined. I am afraid the answer is no, but I would like your advice.

Regards

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi André:

I truly doubt that either of your iFi Pro units actually draw a continuous 5A at 12V.  That would be a LOT!  

That said, it is still not a give that the JS-2 will power both simultaneously. While we have lots of people posing both a DAC (Brooklyn, etc.) and a small computer with a single JS-2, or even a DAC and ADC, I suspect your Pro iCAN is fairly current hungry.

But it won't hurt at all to try.  Just watch the red LEDs on the back of the JS-2.  Some flickering is fine and normal, but steady on means that you are exceeding current limit and the JS-2 will fall out of regulation and the output voltage will drop.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex, Really appreciate your fast and clear answer.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi André:

I truly doubt that either of your iFi Pro units actually draw a continuous 5A at 12V.  That would be a LOT!  

That said, it is still not a give that the JS-2 will power both simultaneously. While we have lots of people posing both a DAC (Brooklyn, etc.) and a small computer with a single JS-2, or even a DAC and ADC, I suspect your Pro iCAN is fairly current hungry.

But it won't hurt at all to try.  Just watch the red LEDs on the back of the JS-2.  Some flickering is fine and normal, but steady on means that you are exceeding current limit and the JS-2 will fall out of regulation and the output voltage will drop.

Best,

--Alex C.

Alex,

I did some research in the iFi tech notes about the power requirements of the iFI PRO range. Should have done my homework before... In this document we see that the Pro iDSD features an DC loop connector, and guess what, it can be use to power the Pro iDSD and the Pro iCAN from the same 15V/4A PS. A third PRO family member (PRO iESL) can even be thrown in the mix:

DC-LOOP-OUT AND POWER SUPPLY CONNECTION

The two small connections just above the external clocking dial of Pro iDSD will be familiar to iESL and Pro iDAC owners. The one on the left is a DC-Loop Out and its purpose is to feed another Pro range device from the Pro iDSD.

This means that one external PSU can handle both Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN. You can even throw Pro iESL to the mix (connected via the HDMI interface found on the latter) and have three iFi Pro range decks operational via only one external PSU.

The input to the right of DC-Loop Out is a regular 15V/4A DC power input.

•Tip: Any 9v to 18v DC power source with a minimum of 60VA rating can be used with the Pro iDSD (including vehicular, RV and boat -based 12V DC power). We strongly recommend the use of the included iPower Plus 15v. It offers the latest in power supply technology and is better and cleaner than any battery or aftermarket linear power supply

So it appears that you were right when you said :

I seems highly probable that the JS-2 can feed both units at the same time, even on one rail set at 12V.

I will keep you informed when I receive my Pro iCAN

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...