IGNORED

New life for a C**y MS-1

I bought a used C**y MS-1 and whattdya know 60 days later I'm having issues, the details of which I won't bore you with. I could send it to the manufacturer for a couple hundred and have genuine 2010 tech. Or I could take this opportunity and build something better by asking people that are smarter with more experience.

Computer Audio Asylum

So I'm thinking I have a case, a nice linear powersupply, and a 4 year old motherboard. I could just get a new 1tb or larger WD Black SATA drive, maybe some more memory and install a new os and install an app. What OS, what app ? I'd like to stop the madness soup-to-nuts at about $400.

What are my requirements? Hmm. I liked the turn key, no monitor or keyboard part, works from my iphone. But it's just a door stop for now so whatever functionality I can salvage. I had been researching a CAPS build for about a grand, but I'm cheap and I'm ok with last year's thing from a reputable company for half that...and see where that got me, so now what?

I "like" windows 7, I fear 8.1. Can I install 7 and have it autoboot without a password and load my music program (jl river or whatever)?

Windows Server 2012 r2 seems to be touted, where and how much would that cost ? I see it on Amazon for 700 bucks ? What?

I'd love for it to be linux...because it's linux, free, community supported etc...I know, I know, what do I want, a music server or a world view?!?

Suggestions greatly welcomed outside of "don't buy 4+ year old stuff in a fast moving industry and then hope other people will help you clean up your mess" ;)

Thanks for your time.

If you wanted a (close to) turn-key Linux setup then you could look at VortexBox or Daphile. Both will replicate the functionality of the Cary MS-1.

With the cost of the drive should manage it for £150 or so...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A Lumin S1 would be much better. Not just put misc. parts together.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

A Lumin S1 would be much better. Not just put misc. parts together.

Hardly comparable on price!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hardly comparable on price!!

What price?

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers