IGNORED

anyone using the dell studio hybrid?

I am making a switch from sonos to a dedicated computer in hopes of improving sound quality. I currently run a benchmark dac but am going to audition the berkeley later this week.

I had originally looked at the lynx card but am having trouble finding a box to put it in that is small enough to hide or quiet enough to have out in the open without it costing an arm and a leg (mind you, I am considering a $5k DAC and am worried about the pc getting over 1k so I AM NOT rational...)

I am a PC / Media Monkey person interested in 24/96 (90% of what I listen to is only produced in redbook anyway.)

So all of the running in circles and forum post reading about different lynx card server options has brought me back to the blissfull simplicity of the studio hybrid or mac mini if the mac mini can easily be set up on the same wired network and share the NAS with my WAV and FLAC files and run media monkey for my 24/96 collection.

Thanks in advance.

I have heard the Berkeley Alpha twice with a standard Dell tower in the space and its not a big deal. The combination is hard to beat. Where are you located? My dealer is in Deerfield Beach, FL and I wonder if we have the same dealer. IMO if your not going to buy the card then keep the Benchmark with its usb. Actually, how much due you want for it? I dont think that a hybrid or mini straight into the Alpha dac is a good combo. Send the guys at Berkeley an e-mail with that question, but be prepared they are brutally honest (thats is a good thing). Anyway, my audio buddy heard it another time (three time for him) with the Ayre cd player into it and the computer sounded better...his words and I trust him. With the card and the pc a 16/44.1 wav sounds out of this world! I would try the aes 16 into your benchmark first for sure.

Actually, I am working with a friend of a friend in CA who is sending his BADA for me to spend a week with. It is on the way...

I have the older benchmark (pre usb) and plan to compare the two taking spdif from a cullen circuits modified sonos box and from a multi format transport (oppo bd). For starters both with run to a jeff rowland capri pre and a pair of jeff rowland model 7M monos.

Next test will be to remove the pre and see if the bada can really hold up as a pre as well. If that is the case, then the benchmark and the Capri will get sold.

It sounds like the lynx card is good for more than ultra high sample rates. Which was a concer for me b/c 99% of what I listen to is good ol redbook.

So skip the mini/studio hybrid idea, huh? Good to know. Still not sure how to skin this cat. If I am only interested in 24/96 and under, is there a cheaper solution in terms of a card/pc?

You could go Firewire to AFI1 (or possibly FireFace 400 or Metric Halo) to Berkely which may be as good as Lynx. You need to test. Also nit sure if Dell Studio Hybrid has FireWire.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

thx for the clarification. I am looking forward to testing the same myself.

I am new to the computer side of this but my mind wants to break it down like the CDP - there is a transport and a dac. In this case, the sound card acts like the transport. Ading the BADA may upgrade the dac psrt of the equation but the sound card that gets the bits there still plays a role. is that right? If not, it would seem that all the hoopla over the lynx would boil down to the very high sample rates that it can manage.

laughing right now b/c I just got off of the phone w/ berkeley and they said EXACTLY what you just said.

Also said to use the pci version w/legacy drivers and warned about virtual desktop as a controller.

said use keyboard and mouse and monitor. not sure if I am up for that or not. They said that the problems with the other cards and all in one items like the mac mini was jitter coming out of the box to the dac.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a Dell Studio Hybrid last night for my dedicated music server (it's been months that I've been toying with this).

They have some great deals on refurbished machines right now. I've been patiently waiting for exactly what I wanted. I'm getting 3 MB ram (I realize this is not that important) with a 320 GB HD. The HD is something I really have been waiting for a good deal on. I have a 500 GB external drive I can use, but I think it may take me a while to use up the 320 so this is a big plus for me. I am also getting a wireless keyboard and mouse which is great since I plan to keep the server about 15' away from where I usually sit. Lastly, it was supposed to come with Vista Home Premium, but when I ordered it, I got the Windows 7 upgrade for free. And free shipping. All for $359.

I love my music, but don't particularly consider myself an audiophile. I will at least initually not run an external DAC (on advice received here), but will run optical out directly to my receiver. I will place the server under my 52" 1080p TV and use that as the monitor using HDMI.

Looking forward to getting this together. This is replacing 3 Yamaha CDM-900 110 disc mega-changers. Can't wait to have all my music available at my fingertips. What am I saying? I've had problems with the Yamahas for the last 3 years. I just can't wait to have access to all my music again.

George Roffe

Houston, TX

They are great looking. When you get it up and running please let us know what you think. I am curious about how much noise it makes.

In the end I had to go with a different and much uglier case because I couldnt get the sound card that I wanted into the dell.

Hope you enjoy it!

I'll definitely let everyone know. Dollar for dollar it has better specs than the Mac Mini. It fits my needs in every way. I got confirmation it shipped today so I expect I'll have it in a couple of days. I'm going to take my time getting it up, running, and sorted. I'm looking at software solutions right now.

I'm expecting good things!

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good with the Studio Hybrid. Seems dead quiet to me. I have not listened to classical on it yet in a critical way, but even sitting next to it all weekend ripping CDs into it, I could NOT hear it.

Besides the form factor, I really love the fact I can use the HDMI out directly to my 52" 1080p LCD television as the monitor and I am using the optical digital out directly to my AVR.

So far I'm really really thrilled with this. It's everything I wanted and more. With the 320GB HD I will be able to load my entire CD collection and then some (well over 300) in wav format. Oh, and the "antenna" for the wireless mouse and keyboard are built into the puter so I have one less cord dangling about.

I picked mine up through Dell's factory outlet for $369. I waited for months to find exactly what I was looking for and and really tickled with this.

The only issue I have right now, and first indications are it's a software issue, is that at the end of most tracks and the end of very CD I get a "ppsssttt" noice. Sometimes it's quiet and sometimes it's quite loud. As I said though, first indications are it's a known issue with MediaMonkey playing wav files. I'm hoping that is the case. Supposedly it will be fixed next release.

Back to the hardware, I cannot fault it in any way so far. VERY happy with my decision.

George Roffe

Kingwood, TX (Houston)