IGNORED

how long can an aes/ebu run be? and can a mini laptop work as a remote?

Hi folks. Planning my first real computer based system around the lynx card and berkeley dac. I would like to get away with using my current PC as the server and my current NAS. But that means that the rund from the PC sound card to the listening room will be long - 100ft or so. Has anyone been able to make something liek that work? It will be tough enough to digest the expense of the dac and I would not be able to spring for a silent PC in the near future.

Also - I will need a remote. I was thinking that an entry level mini netbook from dell (got family that work there...) would be a good fit and would cost $300 or so. It looks like there is plenty of remote desktop software out there that could be run from the netbook to controll the server. Is this common? I know that there are much simpler ways for Mac folks to do the same thing but Im not a mac person.

Hi Jimmy - You have the makings of a very good system in mind. A cheap netbook will be a perfect remote control. Using a 110 ohm AES cable should allow you to go over 100ft. As usual the shorter the cable the better, but you can certainly start with this currently proposed system. It should sound wonderful.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

thanks chris.

I looked at the redco site at the "build your own cable" section but didnt see hd26 as a termination offering. was I looking in the wrong place or is this an item that I need to call them to request?

I am currently a 2ch only listener right now. My understanding is that the aes16 will handle multi ch at 196 over the signle aes/ebu. Is that correct? Is there a card better suited to 2ch use?