IGNORED

VModa M80 - "Creaking" Joints

I've had the Vmoda M80s for about 6 months. I'm pretty happy with the sound -- although I don't have much to compare them to. But I've noticed that the metal connection joint between the ear cup and the headband "creaks" when it moves. If I move my head while reading or sometimes just when I walk down the street I hear the creak and it's pretty distracting. It's much worse on one side. I tried tightening the screws, but it didn't help.

I emailed Vmoda, and they said I could return them under the warranty. I'm curious whether this is a common problem with Vmoda or with headphones in general.

I've had the Vmoda M80s for about 6 months. I'm pretty happy with the sound -- although I don't have much to compare them to. But I've noticed that the metal connection joint between the ear cup and the headband "creaks" when it moves. If I move my head while reading or sometimes just when I walk down the street I hear the creak and it's pretty distracting. It's much worse on one side. I tried tightening the screws, but it didn't help. I emailed Vmoda, and they said I could return them under the warranty. I'm curious whether this is a common problem with Vmoda or with headphones in general.

I have the XS and two M100's, and all of those have the folding hinge, so I can't see a way for mine to start creaking after much aging, but it might be possible. My experience with a lot of headphones says that most don't start creaking as you describe, but some do, and yes - it's very annoying - as much as a very microphonic cable that isn't tied down completely.

I wouldn't suggest oil or the ubiquitous WD40, or any of the graphite treatments for metal locks, but there are some silicone-based lubricants (or something similar) that might work, that wouldn't bleed into places they shouldn't go. I'd send it to v-moda only as a last resort, since I'd expect it to resume creaking not long after you get it back. (Don't quote me on that though)