IGNORED

Budget audiophile external CD burner?

So I'm looking for an external CD burner to handle my analog transfers reliably and accurately. I'd like to stay around or under $100. Any nominations for something audiophile? Right now I have an Optiarc that came with my desktop (and is currently inoperable).

Thanks

Matt

personally i have used a yamaha for about 8 yrs, its the fx1 or something like that, it does the AMQR burning and produces wonderful sounding disc's, that are in fact better sounding than the original. probably why they stopped making them? but the same burning technology is available on the hdd machines they sell, the 1300 and 15000. for what it's worth i don't think they can be beat.

good luck

steve

Check this post....it talks about a teac drive.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/dbpoweramp-pro-and-Teac-drive-ripping

Not sure it’s external, but you might be worth trying out or converting it. It’s was test extensively by this company in order to select the best drive.

Are you looking for a stand alone CD burner that will record your Vinyl onto CD? If so then the Yamaha is a good suggestion - though IIRC no longer manufacturer. Maybe look at Pro units from Teac (new or second hand) is your best bet. The alternative, for recording vinyl onto digital (CD) is to get a device which includes a good ADC (Analgue to Digital Converter) - such as E-Mu 4040 USB device - and recording software on your PC.

OR are you looking for a USB connected CD burner to rip CDs to itunes (or whatever) as your internal one no longer works. If so the Teac is good, though 99% of people won't notice any difference between different CD or DVD drives once the file is ripped.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.