IGNORED

Best android phone for audiophile 2041

As I understood, the HTC ONE is the best smartphone for an audiophile. How Iphone 5 compares to it?

What would be the second best smartphone in the quality of sound?

smile.gif

Also, I'm personally looking for a lightweight (around 112gr or less as Iphone 5) with a smaller screen than HTC ONE (Iphone's 5 would be ok, or even smaller) and quality of camera for photos and videos is very important too (don't care about megapixel, just fast and quality shoots for photos, and I'm satisfied with video of 720p (640x480) just want it of good quality). Using normal size SIM card, dual-sim, memory expansion slot, removable battery, Android - are additional pluses.`

As I understood, the HTC ONE is the best smartphone for an audiophile. How Iphone 5 compares to it?

What would be the second best smartphone in the quality of sound?

If you're talking about using the phone's internal DAC and listening with phones through the audio out jack, it appears that the iPhone 4S is still the best choice. Per this comparison, it has more output power than the 5, so it can drive most 'phones to higher clean levels than the 5. And I can confirm that this is the case in real life, as I still have my original 4S (I'm on a Verizon 3G unlimited data plan that I'd have to to give up if I moved to 4G). I can actually drive my AKG 701s to reasonable listening levels with my 4S, although it won't get really loud. The 5 and the HTC One X both have more background hiss at higher SPLs than the 4S.

The graphs below compare these phones to the FIIO "benchmark". The 4S has the widest flattest frequency response except in the low end, where it has a slight rise at ~80Hz and a slight dropoff below that. But the One X starts dropping off at about 200 Hz and is less linear above that:

audio-final-frequency-response-620.jpg

The 4S also has the lowest harmonic distortion:

audio-harmonic-distortion-620.jpg

So if you're looking for the phone that will give you the best sound quality at the highest overall SPL, the iPhone 4S remains the choice, with the 5 in second place and the One X next on the list.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Device[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Loudness[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Dynamic Range[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Distortion[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Hiss[/TD]

[TD=align: center] "Quality"[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Total[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] FIIO E17 (reference)[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 60[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 58[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 298/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] iPhone 4S[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 54[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 57[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 289/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] iPhone 5[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 45[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 55[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 275/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%] HTC One X (global)[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 35[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 50[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 59[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 50[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 45[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 239/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%] HTC One X (AT&T)[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 34[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 44[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 36[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 227/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%] GS III (Sprint)[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 36[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 40[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 46[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 215/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%] GS III (global)[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 29[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 40[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 51[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 213/300[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I use the HTC One and really like it...The claim of best sounding is definitely true of the internal speakers, but no phone plays music well. Where the phone excels, in addition to its internal speakers, is in its ability to drive outboard DAC's who in turn produce real high rez music. I owned a Samsung S4 for a couple of weeks about 6 months ago and did not like its music abilities at all. The internal speakers were junk, the sound through the earphone outlet was only average AND, for reasons I have yet to understand, my efforts with outboard DAC's (Fiio 07K and Audioquest Dragonfly) were hit or miss. The new HTC phone works flawlessly each and every time tried.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson