IGNORED

How accurate is the Audacity spectrum analyzer?

I've been using Audacity to analyze some measurements of my cartridge (from digitized test tones, etc). I noticed that there was a general downward slope in the 20Hz-20KHz sweep, which surprised me as the cartridge specs indicate it's pretty flat until 24KHz.

I then tried a 20Hz-20KHz sweep from the Alan Parson's 'Sound Check 2' test CD. And the slope is there too:

Audacity 20Hz-20KHz Sweep.JPG

Playing this track back on my PM2, the meters show a rock steady -15dB output across the whole sweep.

So what's going on? Any ideas?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

The sweep is a logarithmic sweep. It starts its sweep up slowly and sweeps up faster as the frequency increases. You can hear this, and see it if you click on the down-arrow next to the track title and select "Spectrogram" display. The reason it slopes down in the "Plot Spectrum" display is because the spectrum plotter measures the amount of energy in each "bin". Because the tone spends less time in the higher frequency bins, there's less energy per bin at high frequencies so the displayed level is lower. If you want to see a flat line in the ""Plot Spectrum" display, use a linear sweep so that the time spent in each bin is the same.

Generate --> Chirp

Frequency = 20 - 20000

Level = 0.2 - 0.2

Interpolation: Linear (Logarithmic will give the display you showed.)

Duration: 24 seconds

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Thanks Don. That all makes perfect sense.

The slope of the 30-second CD sweep appears to be -3dB/octave. The LP sweep's duration is closer to 15 seconds. So would I expect a -6dB/octave slope? Seems a bit steep to me.

Cheers,

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Thanks Don. That all makes perfect sense.

The slope of the 30-second CD sweep appears to be -3dB/octave. The LP sweep's duration is closer to 15 seconds. So would I expect a -6dB/octave slope? Seems a bit steep to me.

Cheers,

Mani.

Both slopes should be the same. You can prove it with Audacity: Generate a chirp as before, logarithmic interpolation. Now generate a second chirp with the same parameters as the first except for only half the duration.

They both have the same slope when analysed. Although the tone is sweeping up twice as fast and thus spending only half as much time in each "bin", all "bins" are affected equally.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.