Just to quote Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water: "Frank Zappa and the Mothers were at best place around." Meaning they had the best mobile recording studio in Switzerland at Montreax Music festival. Does anyone know of any Hi-Res recordings of Zappa? He did have some of the best recordings of the era.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Just to quote Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water: "Frank Zappa and the Mothers were at best place around." Meaning they had the best mobile recording studio in Switzerland at Montreax Music festival. Does anyone know of any Hi-Res recordings of Zappa? He did have some of the best recordings of the era.

Not a Zappa expert, but as far as I know, his heirs (kids) control his stuff and have put out quite good remasters, but not in hi-res. If you like Zappa check out some of the recent remasters. The ones I've heard are very good.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'll have to check them out. His son does shows Zappa does Zappa, so I would imagine they would be meticulous.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Thanks for the link. I thought the family remasters had expanded to CD's recently, but maybe not the same thing. I did download 24 bit samplings of his older LPs. I am hesitant to mention it as I am not sure of the legality. I do own the LP's of the downloaded music and in most cases the cd too.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 1 month later...

The only HiRez Zappa I can think of is the "Halloween" dvd, which is rather good, circa 1978 I think.

Main system: Meridian GO6, Squeezebox touch, Marantz TT15S1, Cambridge 640p, Oppo DV980H, Wyred4Sound ST 1000 + Cyrus PreXVS, ATC SCM19, Panasonic Plasma TH37PX80B.

Junior system: Meridian 506, Squeezebox 3, Oppo DV980H, Cambridge DacMagic, Bel Canto S300iU, ProAc Tablette 50, Panasonic TH42U30B.

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/chevvies/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks that will next on my shopping list.

Intel Thin-mini ITX