IGNORED

HQ Player

9 hours ago, Miska said:

In Control Panel -> Power you can select High Performance power profile.

Regarding priorities; HQPlayer manages it's own thread priorities, different threads inside HQPlayer run at different priorities depending on the tasks they perform. In addition, GPU tasks are scheduled by the Nvidia display driver and not subject to OS priorities.

Thanks.  Is there another way to solve the issue besides permanently setting it to high performance?   I notice when I change to the high performance profile that, at idle, my CPU voltage goes from 0.84V to 1.45V and core speed goes from 2ghz to 3.6ghz.  Yes, that’s what high performance means and so the setting is doing what it’s supposed to do, but given I don’t listen to music 24/7, I would like to be energy efficient.  Is there a way to change to the high performance profile automatically when HQPlayer is under load?  Eg., In my ideal word, I would always leave HQPlayer running (since I control using Roon) and then when I start to play music, it changes to the high performance profile.   When I was running HQPlayer in a Windows 10system, I didn’t have the pausing issue even though my profile was not high performance.  Is this specific to Server 2016?

Thanks, Hammer

I was trying to be more green since the server already runs 24/7 and in the past, I also kept the dedicated HQPlayer machine up 24/7.  

I was doing some googling and it appears with powershell, I can monitor processes and perhaps I can figure how to switch to the performance profile on the fly if the HQPlayer process consumes more than x% of CPU time.

i have an Auralic Vega.

I wrote a very simple PS script to switch to High Performance when HQPlayer uses more than 3% of CPU.  It’s not the most elegant thing, but it does the job although it does use up resources by continuous checking of HQPlayer CPU usage.  I wonder if HQPlayer can simply change the power profile on its own when it is playing, and then switch back when it is idle.

#Power Scheme GUID: 1ca6081e-7f76-46f8-b8e5-92a6bd9800cd  (Maximum Battery 
#Power Scheme GUID: 2ae0e187-676e-4db0-a121-3b7ddeb3c420  (Power Source Opt 
#Power Scheme GUID: 37aa8291-02f6-4f6c-a377-6047bba97761  (Timers off (Pres 
#Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced) 
#Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance 
#Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a  (Power saver) 
#Power Scheme GUID: a666c91e-9613-4d84-a48e-2e4b7a016431  (Maximum Performa 
#Power Scheme GUID: de7ef2ae-119c-458b-a5a3-997c2221e76e  (Energy Star) 
#Power Scheme GUID: e11a5899-9d8e-4ded-8740-628976fc3e63  (Video Playback) 

$p = '8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c'

# To match the CPU usage to for example Process Explorer you need to divide by the number of cores
$cpu_cores = (Get-WMIObject Win32_ComputerSystem).NumberOfLogicalProcessors

do

{

$currScheme = POWERCFG -GETACTIVESCHEME 
        $c = $currScheme.split()

do

{

# To get the PID of the process (this will give you the first occurrance if multiple matches)
        $proc_pid = (get-process "*HQPlayer*").Id[0]

# This is to find the exact counter path, as you might have multiple processes with the same name
        $proc_path = ((Get-Counter "\Process(*)\ID Process").CounterSamples | ? {$_.RawValue -eq $proc_pid}).Path

# We now get the CPU percentage
        $prod_percentage_cpu = [Math]::Round(((Get-Counter ($proc_path -replace "\\id process$","\% Processor Time")).CounterSamples.CookedValue) / $cpu_cores)

If ($prod_percentage_cpu -gt 3)
            {
            PowerCfg -SetActive $p
            }
        else
            {
            PowerCfg -SetActive $c[3]
            }
        start-sleep -s 10

}

while ($prod_percentage_cpu -gt 3)

}

while ($true)

2 hours ago, Miska said:

It probably could, but I think it would go to "assuming too much" category. IMO, messing with such things is something application is not supposed to do... If it would, then someone would ask "can I script this?" and then the conclusion is - it shouldn't have been there in the first place...

Keeping such things separate is just better overall.

We are already starting to see that keeping UI and audio endpoint separate from the player is also better overall.

That’s actually one of the reasons why I moved HQPlayer to the server.  I started using  a NUC NAA device (thanks for the x86-64 image) and so it became having 2 pc’s running all day (NAA and dedicated HQPlayer machine) when I only listen perhaps an hour a day.  I tried a pi2 to save some power, but that was not powerful enough for DSD256.

Hi, saw an interesting/inexpensive Raspberry Pi DAC on Amazon: the Wingoneer WX4000.  Does anyone know if I can use this as an NAA endpoint / DAC and connect directly to my pre-amp?  I guess since Pi3 can be used as NAA, I’m really wondering if the Pi3 NAA image has the drivers for the DAC.  It looks like it is connected to the Pi3 via HDMI.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Miska said:

I didn't find any detailed information about this device anywhere...

HifiBerry and IQaudio DAC cards should work. I have HifiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Hi, just tried it with DietPi and NAA and it works!  Although for some reason, I am limited to PCM even though the ess9018 supports DSD...

On 12/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, Miska said:

I didn't find any detailed information about this device anywhere...

HifiBerry and IQaudio DAC cards should work. I have HifiBerry DAC+ Pro.

Hi, here is the amazon link.  I set it up and can confirm DSD works (via i2s) and so it seems like good value.  But to my ears, it’s much better to have HQPlayer in the chain and so if a Pi NAA can play to it directly (I tried and it does not) that would be awesome!  Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/WINGONEER-WX4000-Multifunction-Expansion-Raspberry/dp/B06XCDGS1B/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1513216305&sr=8-16&keywords=Pi+dac

1 hour ago, Miska said:

OK, that overlay is not found on my RPi3 images, but if you can find some image where that stuff is supported (maybe DietPi?) then things should work. Overall, if you find Stretch-based OS with support for that I2S configuration, then networkaudiod should work without much trouble.

PCM works in Ropieee and Dietpi.  In Dietpi, I can connect either using RoonBridge or NAA.  The only software where DSD also works is moode.  In Dietpi, the DAC is connect via HDMI and I think DSD only works via i2s.  Ropieee connects via i2s, and DSD64 shows up in Roon in yellow which means while the format is supported, additional configuration is needed before it will work. 

Hope this is helpful - would be great for both PCM and DSD to work in the NAA pi image.  Thanks you!

• 4 months later...

Hi, my apologies if this has been previously answered...I tried to search, but did not find a solution.  I am running HQPlayer on a Windows 10 machine and for a variety of reasons, this machine has multiple NIC's and I am trying to get HQPlayer to "see" an NAA on my 192.168.1.xxx subnet.  Is it possible to "direct" HQPlayer to only search this subnet?  I know the NAA on my network is working since I can "see" it on another instance of HQPlayer.  Thank you.

A question on upsampling to DSD512 with HQPlayer.  I see that when I play a PCM file, it upsamples no problem.  However, when I play a DSD64 file, the output remains DSD64.  Is that by design?   (The source is from Roon, if that plays into the equation at all).

Thank you!

Hi everyone!  I’m using the x64 NAA image from the signalyst website and it works great with my Auralic Vega DAC.  However, I would like to add Spotify to my main system and so I figured I would try DietPi (with a Pi 3 B) which combines NAA and Raspotify in one image.  However, I find that with DietPi, I am unable to get HQPlayer to play DSD (SDM is no longer an output option).  This was possible with the x64 NAA image.  Would anyone know how I might fix this?  Thank you.  

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

DietPi needs some kernel patches... @Daniel Knight? Although RasPi has been tricky with hires content because they have ethernet adapter on the same USB bus as the USB connectors where you connect the DAC (not sure about details of 3 B though)...

Thank you!  I tried DSD512 with a Pi3 on a ProJect S2 and that seems to work and so I think the Pi3 hardware is sufficient...so maybe DietPi just needs the patches.  I hope this makes it to the “to do” list!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

I am using an Allo Sparky USBridge which runs Dietpi. I am able to play DSD512.  Do you have the latest version?

Are you using the Vega DAC?  My very limited understanding is that the DAC has to be supported by the kernel.on a ProJect S2.  But not on the Vega.

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

There are just two options, either kernel support, or using DoP...

Of course there are still devices where DoP will anyway suffice for maximum capabilities, like RME ADI-2.

Thanks.  DoP doesn't seem to work with the Vega after my upgrade to DSD256 firmware.  So I am hoping the kernel patch will be applied.  Does anyone know what is required?  Maybe I can try to gather that to make it easier for the developer @Daniel Knight

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to stream Spotify output to HQPlayer?  Reason is because my DAC is connected to a small Intel PC running the x64 NAA image and I listen to HQPlayer/Roon most of the time.  I find that this gives me the best SQ, but every once in a while, it is nice to be able to play something from Spotify.  DietPi with NAA and Raspotify will accomplish this, but the current DietPi image does not include support for my Auralic Vega DAC which means I won’t be able to play DSD natively with this solution.  And suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.  

In trying to keep electrical noise away from my system, I keep my main PC with an nVidia card for CUDA and HQPlayer in my basement and connect that to my DAC via a  NUC running NAA.  I recently found a driverless USB extender and tried connecting my basement PC directly with my Vega DAC.  To my surprise, my basement PC recognized the DAC and it works!

However, I find that SQ has declined.  Not by a lot, but enough for me to switch back to my prior setup.  My question is why?  On my Vega DAC there is an option for Exact USB mode which requires very tight timing with the source.  I am able to run the DAC with the extender in Exact mode no problem and so it would appear the bits are arriving to the DAC without issue.  There is also an Uptone regent in the chain.  So more of a curiosity question if anyone has any insights....I know we can blame it on jitter, but doesn’t a Femto clock in the DAC counter that?

Hi, I notice that I am unable to connect to my NAA if I have Private Internet Access VPN running.  I don't think the issue is being blocked from my local network since I can access my NAS, other PC's etc on my network with VPN enabled.  Actually, I can even Putty into the Pi3 running DietPi/NAA from the PC where HQPlayer is running.  Maybe it's a timing issue and HQPlayer does not wait sufficient time for NAA to respond if VPN is running (eg., it needs to go through more routes - just as guess since I am no networking expert!  Any ideas?  Thanks!

19 hours ago, shadowlight said:

@Hammer HQP  uses multicast to communicate with NAA.  What is most likely happening is that when you have VPN connection active the default multicast interface is the VPN adapter.  You will need to change that to you actual LAN interface using the route command.  If you type "route print" command look for the lines that start with 224.0.0.0 to see where the multicast is being sent by default.

Thanks for the tip...problem solved!

On 5/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, tboooe said:

@Miska I just want to say I finally got this working!!!  I got rid of the Allo Sparky and put back in my Server 2012 R2 based NAA.  I enabled IPv6 in the registry (enabling IPv6 using Powershell or netsh didnt work) on both Server PCs, connected the NAA to the HQP PC, restarted, and now I am able to play directly, allowing me to get rid a switch in my system!  Fantastic!!! Thank you.  Now I am going to compare to see how it sounds compared to having my SG300 Cisco SFP switch in the music chain.

Hi @Miska, I am using the x64 NAA image and trying to directly connect my NAA pc to my HQPlayer PC via ipv6.  I am seeing the link connection via the NIC LEDs, and I also see an ipv6 address on my HQPlayer PC, but since I can not login to the NAA pc, I cannot diagnose why HQPlayer is not seeing the NAA under the ipv6 dropdown box.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?  Is ipv6 enabled on the x64 NAA image?  As always, thank you for your help.  hammer

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm experiencing some "pausing" issues with HQPlayer.  When I play a song, after a minute of playing, the music will stop and continue after roughly 1-2 seconds.  This did not happen in the past and I can't tell if it is due to Windows updates or what since I have not used HQPlayer for the past month or so (and so don't know if an automatic Windows update is causing this).  Any ideas?  None of my hardware/network configurations have changed.  I did upgrade to version 3.22 of HQPlayer, but thinking that was the problem, I downgraded back to 3.21 and the same thing is happening.  I am running HQPlayer on Windows 10.

Thank you.  Hammer

Hi Jussi, I upgraded my NAA image to see if that would fix my "pausing" problem above, but I notice that with the new image, I cannot play DSD on my Auralic Vega DAC.  My prior NAA image was fine.  Does the new image include drivers for my DAC?  If not, would it be possible to add?  Thank you!  Hammer