IGNORED

HQ Player

13 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Anyone here at Audiophile Style named Terry Brown offering free Presents in a Lottery?

Ore has someone hacked this site?

I and several others whose Monikers I didn't recognise were on a group email this morning.

I deleted it.

Just FYI!

I got this one: Christine_Reed has sent you a message!

2 hours ago, Pogballistics said:

Yes, kinda :)

But, will HQ Player 4 Desktop users get some discount for upgrade or is the price generalized regardless you are an existing user or new joinee?

Maybe someone who has been with the software since the 3rd gen will know.

I got 20% OFF for upgrade from version 3 to 4!

In black friday there was an additional 5% OFF...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miska said:

Some notes about HQPlayer Desktop 4.10.3 release testing on Mac Mini with M1 CPU.

I created individual room corrections for left and right channels using REW and exported the parametric eq parameters to a text file. Then I loaded these into HQPlayer matrix configuration and compensated for the max eq gain using the pipeline mix gain.

I have also been testing AutoEq headphone corrections on two of my headphones (Sennheiser and Shure), loaded as a matrix profile the same way. (AutoEq corrections come with gain compensation value, so no need to do anything about that)

This way I can easily switch between room and headphone correction profiles. And these work nicely without too much CPU load (tested with PCM and DSD64 source material upsampled to DSD256 using ASDM7EC).

@Miska

Would you post some print screens of these headphones correction profiles?

I'm looking for Sennheiser HD800 S, I never used matrix convolution neither pipeline setup.

59 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I use both, 4.90 (the best sound ever) and 4.10.3!

I will try with Oppo PM-1 e Sennheiser HD800S and post my impressions...

Thanks a lot, Miska!

Mixed first impressions of the Parametric EQ with Preamp -7.2 dB of my Oppo PM-1, that have a warm and laid back sound that I love, more than my Senn HD800S:

More open and transparent, more bass and punch, but it is not my loved headphone, it sounds more as the Sennheiser HD650 that I also own...

The parametric equalizer let the sound "compressed" and I lost the signature of the Oppo sound... I never had fadigue with the Oppos, let's see with the EQ!

I don't know if I like the effect, but, I'll try more for a few days before a conclusion...

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

For HD 800 and HD 800S there are many slightly different corrections available, based on different measurements, like this one too:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 800

(note that 800 and 800S need different correction files)

When txt file has "Preamp" line, there's no need to make manual gain compensation, instead the needed compensation is read from the file automatically. If the line is missing, then you need to manually enter the gain compensation.

Sennheiser HD 800 S Parametric EQ Preamp -5.4 dB.txt is:

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 11 Hz Gain 5.7 dB Q 0.22
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 209 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 0.61
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1869 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.49
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35 this one should be 5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74 this one should be 4
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6705 Hz Gain -0.6 dB Q 3.07
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7531 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 2.21
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11136 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 1.47
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19646 Hz Gain -7.1 dB Q 0.40

May I include Preamp -5.4 dB in the first line and correct the filter order as below?

Preamp -5.4 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 11 Hz Gain 5.7 dB Q 0.22
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 209 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 0.61
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1869 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.49

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3197 Hz Gain 0.2 dB Q 2.74
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4291 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.35
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6019 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 2.43
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6705 Hz Gain -0.6 dB Q 3.07
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7531 Hz Gain 0.9 dB Q 2.21
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11136 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 1.47
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 19646 Hz Gain -7.1 dB Q 0.40

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, you can do that. Filter 1 has highest gain of +5.7, so the compensation should be -5.7 not -5.4. But remember to put colon there to keep the syntax in line, like (although HQPlayer's parser at the moment doesn't care about the colon):

Preamp: -6.0 dB

Filter order doesn't really matter, since each line is individual eq.

Thank you so much Miska, a new world of possibilities was opened for me with HQPlayer! 👍 👍 👍

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, you can do that. Filter 1 has highest gain of +5.7, so the compensation should be -5.7 not -5.4. But remember to put colon there to keep the syntax in line, like (although HQPlayer's parser at the moment doesn't care about the colon):

Preamp: -6.0 dB

Filter order doesn't really matter, since each line is individual eq.

A last doubt: even with Preamp: -6.0 db line before the filters, I need use -3.0 db in HQPlayer?

22 hours ago, Carlos269 said:

What are the opinions on the sound quality of HQP release 4.10.3 as compared to 4.9.0? Curious as I was overseas and never got a chance to download and listen to 4.9.0 after reading the reports of its phenomenal sound presentation. I’m happy with what I’m hearing with 4.10.3 but wondering if 4.9.0 sounds markedly better. 

For my taste, 4.90 has a fuller, richer and easier sound. Period!

Since I'm not using NAA, it never crashed with me. 

Ask to @Miska for get the download link and test for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska Do you agree?

poly-sinc-ext2: Fantastic grip, instrument separation, gradations, and quiet. Better than the poly-sinc-ext. Decent amount of textural cues as well. Not very warm but not cold either.

sinc-L: By far the most resolving filter on this list. It digs DEEP but remains very analog sounding. I could start to hear the individual members of the audience. Cymbals and hi-hats have more “clang” and material to them. There’s an organic weight and presence to all instruments and performers. Very transparent and separation is uncanny. Amazing filter if you enjoy an uncolored sound. Personally, I prefer a more warm-blooded tone.

https://audiobacon.net/2021/03/17/hqplayer-better-than-a-5000-upscaler/#comments

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes. poly-sinc-ext2 is also totally different filter from poly-sinc-ext. I like ext2, but never really the ext. So I expect large differences.

I disagree about this. Since it is non-apodizing it is not very good for uncolored sound, because it leaves the high frequency aliasing mess in place. So cymbals and such will have some unnatural glare and sheen around them due to the aliasing components. It will also put out about million times more (120 dB) ultrasonic noise than ext2 or sinc-S.

I'd say sinc-S is the "most resolving" filter, but may have too much edginess and hardness in the sound for many albums.

I'm receiving an iFi Diablo DAC/Amp that uses a dual BB1793 ancient DAC chipset, so for these ones ASDM7EC is better than ASDM5EC?

BTW, sounds as the T+A HA200 uses the same DAC chipset only for PCM, am I right? Do you use ASDM7EC with your HA200?