IGNORED

HQ Player

I find it interesting that some of the changes in 3.12 have dramatically reduced (essentially to zero) the initialization time of poly-sinc/dsd7/11.2MHz when CUDA offload is on, yet returns when CUDA offload is off. This computer does not have CUDA, but uses Intel HD400 graphics. I got excited and tried 22MHz and the initialization wait returned with a vengeance and stuttered horribly once play began.

Color me confused, but pleased that 3.12 is actually running on this machine as the beta did not. I received my 750ti card last night, and look forward to seeing how it performs.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

This may be a stupid question, but where does the CUDA offload indicator appear? I have just installed a 750ti based video card, and I have yet to see a change in performance or an indicator icon/dialog suggesting it is working in HQPlayer. FWIW, I have installed 7.5 drivers and see them in CUDA Z. Will the GPU show up in in Device Manager or somewhere else? CUDA offload is checked of course.

Forrest:

Thank you!

I seem to have a problem then. Mine says: resampler= enabled convolution=disabled

CUDA offload is checked, and I am not using the convolution engine.

In my case it says =

If you look at the bottom of the window when playback first starts (it's fleeting and only lasts 3 seconds) you should see "offload: resampler=enabled" if CUDA offload is working.

Forrest:

Bummer... It doesn't seem to do much of anything for me then.

Ok, "resampler = enabled" means CUDA offload is working. "convolution = disabled" means you're not using convolution.

So you're good!

Forrest:

AFAIK, you should be able to use native in Linux with the right distro or additions. At least that is what i am being told by others. Here is a link. The PDF file has some code that may be of service. I haven't gotten it to work, but I am a Linux dunce. I would love it if someone figured out how to get the JLSounds to work properly on Win or even OSX. The built in isolation and easily upgraded clocks make it a much more desirable card than the Amanero. IMO, it sounds better too, at least at DSD128.

The Best DAC is no DAC - Page 61 - diyAudio

I just power on the JLsounds DAC/IF and I've some comments to add:

- As you mentioned I can't play non-DoP method with OSX and Linux as well (to be honest I would have expected a different behavior with Linux environment)

- With OSX mute isn't inserted between DSD traces but only when whole disk stops (I've a mute circuit based on relay)

- With Linux mute is inserted between every DSD trace

Miska, is the difference expected ?

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

OSX = El Capitan

Linux = Mint 17.2 with 4.2.5 Kernel

Forrest:

Well put. I wasn't able to wrap language around it, but this sums up the feeling that I attempted to convey.

to my ears the non 2 s add a touch of class, finesse

Forrest:

OK, so upon further investigation the CUDA offload is working its magic and I can now run closed form to DSD256 using an older i5 2500k coupled with a Nvidia 750ti if I directly connect a DAC to the USB. It would appear as if the wireless NAA endpoint I was using as a tester could not handle the stream. In part I think I was confused by the new CPU %s in 3.12 and how it related to clicking/dropouts. Without CUDA using 3.11, anything above 30% CPU would have issues. Now it will play clean at 40%+, but I needed to avoid the ethernet and/or wireless connection.

Do anyone have a recommendation for how I might analyze my network, and what connection throughput I would require for good operation using an NAA? Maybe I need a new router? At present I am using an antique Airport Extreme 2nd generation 802.11n. Gosh, it is at least 6, if not 8+ years old, I have gotten my money's worth! Suggestions for a good stable newer router would be welcomed as well. TYIA

Thank you!

I seem to have a problem then. Mine says: resampler= enabled convolution=disabled

CUDA offload is checked, and I am not using the convolution engine.

In my case it says =

Forrest:

TY Jud, but I am not sure if it is my router, MB controller or the mSATA wireless card in my endpoint that is the bottle neck. With the many permutations of RDT, remote UI, server and NAA using Muso and Rcoon there are lots of options. My hope is to understand my issue first before cutting holes in my floor and/or running wire hither skither. At the moment I have CAT5 in the wall next to the wirelessly attached aforementioned endpoint. My question is then, what sort of data rates do I need to effectively run an NAA at DSD512, and how do I test it properly. Can I simply send some large files to and fro or do I need to study the flow more closely to see if there are spikes in the transmission?

Doesn't ship to the first buyers until February at the earliest, but of potential interest:

https://www.eero.com/

Forrest:

TY, that is a start. In Win10 task manager there was a line across the wifi graph that was never exceeded or even closely approached. Previously I took that as an indicator that I had not exceeded the capabilities, but it seems as if I am somewhere.

If it can be helpfull, a DSD512 file is around 5.4MB/s

Forrest:

So in testing this I played a file RB> CF/DSD7/11.2MHz(DSD256) through to my wireless NAA. The server stated approx 20Mbps send and the wireless endpoint received at 17-18Mbps. The file would keep playing, but stutter. CPU load around 30% with CUDA, 60% without and without seemed to sound slow. If DSD512 is 5.4Mbps, I assume DSD256 would be half that at 2.7, but my metering shows it as 6x that. I am all ears if there are other suggestions or comments. FWIW, without CUDA the send load was 18.6Mbps which I assume to mean that the server couldn't quite keep up without CUDA.

TY, that is a start. In Win10 task manager there was a line across the wifi graph that was never exceeded or even closely approached. Previously I took that as an indicator that I had not exceeded the capabilities, but it seems as if I am somewhere.

Forrest:

Hmm, OK, but I assume one needs to at least multiply by two for stereo, and how does this translate into what is actually being transferred? Are we talking bits or bytes, and then is Bibo incorrect? It seemed as if I was sending 20M bps, not 22.5M bps.

The formula to determine DSD sampling rates is pretty straight forward:

44100 * 64 = 2822400

44100 * 128 = 5644800

44100 * 256 = 11289600

44100 * 512 = 22579200

For DoP (you're using Windows, so this won't necessarily apply to your environment), just divide the DSD rate by 16:

2822400 / 16 = 176400

5644800 / 16 = 352800

11289600 / 16 = 705600

22579200 / 16 = 1411200 (This is why the iFi iDSD Micro can only do DSD512 in native Linux or with Windows ASIO). A 1.4MHz PCM sampling rate just doesn't exist today (that I know of).

Forrest:

This seems like a great thought, I'll look into it along with the channels. If need be, I can keep it off of internet use to avoid large packet issues.

Something else you may want to try if you haven't already is to enable "jumbo frames" in your networking stack. This is an ethernet setting for your network cards. I've enabled this setting on my Synology NAS and on any computer connected to it that involves audio/video file transfers.

Jumbo frames essentially make the individual ethernet packets being sent along the wires "larger", thus containing more payload data. This cuts down on the number of packets needed to transfer large files and increases effective throughput. This solved a video stuttering issue I used to have when I was streaming larger HD video files from my NAS to a lower-powered server connected to my TV. It would also help transferring large DSD streams as well.

Just a thought.

Forrest:

HQPlayer integrates well with Muso too btw-including a remote IIRC.

http://klarita.net/muso.html

tboooe,

I can't tell you it is worth it, only you can determine that. I can give you my perspective. Roon by itself, after being an early adopter I wouldn't recommend over JRiver on AO in Core. First, I think JRiver + AO running Core is better than Roon and Roon can't run with AO in core.

HQPlayer by itself I never gave a chance as it was just too much of a pain in the rear end and that is not what I got into computer audio for.

HOWEVER, Roon + HQPlayer on my desktop with all the computing power I need ------> NAA on my CAPS Zuma running AO Core with Server 2012 R2 is just amazing. In fact, my new recommendation to anyone considering an upgrade of anything is to try this first. Really a tremendous experience.

Now the bad news. It is still a work in progress but knowing these guys the "issues" will be remedied quickly

Forrest:

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Confused said:

I have to say that I have been very much enjoying the HQPlayer 4 "loop back" functionality recently.  I am using this on a Windows 10 PC, essentially creating a virtual soundcard.  It works superbly, allowing internet radio, YouTube audio, free Spotify, and anything else I fancy to run audio via NAA to my sMS-200Ultra.  For me, this functionality alone is worth the price of entry.

For fun, I tried a comparison between Roon / HQPlayer and running iTunes / Loop back / HQPlayer.  iTunes is set to WASAPI, and I expected the resultant sound quality to be more or less identical.  It wasn't.  Using iTunes / Loopback there was a noticeable step back in resolution and dynamics.  For practical purposes this does not matter, for serious listening I either use Roon or just paste an album direct into HQPlayer, the loop back stuff tends to be background listening or checking out new material prior to purchase.  Plus the margin to Roon is fairly small, it still sounds reasonably good.

I presume the slight loss of SQ is down to the fact that the audio path is now running through the Windows mixer, which can only be a negative I guess.  Assuming this is correct, are there any tweaks or settings changes I could make within Windows to improve or optimise the sound quality when using loopback this way?  Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, when you loopback does the video sync with the audio?

Forrest: