IGNORED

HQ Player

What do you mean by stopping when you change formats? What settings are you using (main window)? And what are the the two formats that cause stop?

Overall, there is at least one clear case when playback is stopped - when the combination of source format, filter and output format are not compatible.

I mean hqp stops and shuts down. My settings are no filter, no dither for pcm. And right now I do a simple up sample to 2x dsf rate. But I can now run 24/176 but when I put a 16/44 file in my playlist and I try to run it hqp stops and shuts down.

i use auto for all the drop down menus on the hqp GUI.

If the mode is "Auto", then you are not doing PCM upsampling to 2x DSD. But of course it shouldn't crash in this case.

Let me try to be more clear. I run all pcm raw...no upsample, no dither, no nothing. When I run dsf files I had been running upsampling to 5.66 MbHz. I prefer running direct sdm. I am not sure what Hqp version I am Running. How can I easily tell?

All the work I've done for HQPlayer just goes wasted that way...

If you do Direct SDM then there is no upsampling for DSD either and things go through as-is.

I think I may have found my problem. In my system all music data is local. I put music on one internal hd and up to 3 different docking stations connected to my mobo via USB connections. Over past few days I had 2 docking stations in use one of which may have a bad connnection. When I placed the hd from the 2nd station into a 3rd docking station no more issues. What happened while using the errant docking station was Hqp would stop working after trying to load a file.

I compared 3.15 and 3.16 back and forth several times. (Lots of uninstallation and installation)

Still find the harshness existed in the 3.16 version. Much better than 3.15.1 but still worse than 3.15.

I'm using Roon with HQplayer, upsampling Tidal 44.1 and local DSD files to DSD512. Modulator ASDM 512+FS, filter: poly-sinc-xrt-2s. DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD.

Anyone feels the same with me?

I do. I'm letting it go for several hours before I go back to 3.15.

Several questions on uninstalling an old version and installing a new version of Hqp. Does anybody know which files in theHqp folder are never updated and which are with a new version? I think after I installed 3.16 some older files were not updated. Why can't I just delete the old Hqp folder rather than uninstall? I realize somewhere in the folder settings are saved but what else remains constant? Where are the filters saved for example? I can see that hqplayer.exe is a 3/16/2017 version so that is okay but what els needs an update in the folder?

52 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I think I agree with this.  3.16 does sound good but 3.15 does sound better to me too.  I think I am going to downgrade back to that version.

52 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I think I agree with this.  3.16 does sound good but 3.15 does sound better to me too.  I think I am going to downgrade back to that version.

Give it time. I had to breakin 3.16 over 2 days before it sounded great.

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

Agreed.  I was wondering the same thing.

When you have new software it may stress different parts of your hardware (caps etc etc) in ways they have not been stressed before. Hence break in. It is not a matter of getting used to the sound. The sound changes.

22 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I'm not worried about CPU, I'll upgrade if I have to.  I'll soon have the most powerful consumer Nvida GPU available and want to use it but I'm concerned about my current experience with the audio fading in and out using poly-sinc-xtr and Cuda.

I am surprised no one is reporting on the risks associated with using CUDA. First of all let me tell you that version 3.16 with xtr-s filters have provided me with the best sound I have ever had. Period! However I did have CUDA selected for a few days...just to try it out. Well I got some horrendous noises. One time the noise was so loud it set my 2A3's on my Vinnie Rossi DHT to create a very loud high pitched whistle. So loud I shut everything down because I was convinced it might create downstream failures of my electrostatics. I firmly believed it was tube noise and potentially tube failure so I talked to Vinnie. After he straightened me out to try different sources the noise was only occurring  with pc inpu from HQPt. Then after reading others had these noises with using CUDA I deselected it and haven't had an issue for 3 days. Now maybe my GPU was not up to the task but everyone should be cautious with CUDA lest they have the same issues and suffer under 3 days of problem solving as I.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2017 at 4:50 PM, tboooe said:

Agreed.  I was wondering the same thing.

Ok I have been very busy in my life and did not head it off. I woke up this morning , my pc was updated overnight and now I can't even launch HQP.  It seems to me (after reading these pages) that my options are

Change my 64 bit Hqp to 32

Get rid of kb4016841 (what is this anyway...a driver?)

change HQP to version 3.16.x

What is my best option?

16 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Yesterday, once I saw HQPlayer crashing I followed the lead and uninstalled KB4019472.  HQPlayer worked.  Then I installed 3.16.3 and it continued to work.  I also added the registry fix for updates (found on same link as above). 

Then this morning I see that the damn KB4019472 was installed again (registry fix may not affect this update, dunno)!!  Didn't matter, HQplayer continues to work, and my NAA (WS2012R1) plays fine.  FYI.

17 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Yesterday, once I saw HQPlayer crashing I followed the lead and uninstalled KB4019472.  HQPlayer worked.  Then I installed 3.16.3 and it continued to work.  I also added the registry fix for updates (found on same link as above). 

Then this morning I see that the damn KB4019472 was installed again (registry fix may not affect this update, dunno)!!  Didn't matter, HQplayer continues to work, and my NAA (WS2012R1) plays fine.  FYI.

So Ted couple of questions

1) what is kb4019472(a driver?)

2) what link above are you referring?

41 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Theo,

1) KB4019472 is the security update to Win10 AU (i.e RS1, not CU's RS2).  CU has, instead, KB4016871 that is causing the issues.

2) The link is in Blue2's post a couple pages ago, but here it is again.  BTW, I use AO so many of the options mentioned in the article are not available to me.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

42 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Theo,

1) KB4019472 is the security update to Win10 AU (i.e RS1, not CU's RS2).  CU has, instead, KB4016871 that is causing the issues.

2) The link is in Blue2's post a couple pages ago, but here it is again.  BTW, I use AO so many of the options mentioned in the article are not available to me.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Thanks Ted. 3.16.3 on an earlier w10 version did it for me

34 minutes ago, steveoat said:

HQ Player still crashes.  I uninstalled and reinstalled 3.16.3 and still no luck.

Using Windows 10 with the latest update.

Any suggestions?

I ended up going back to a different Windows10 version (2 back) and using 3.16.3 and I was back into music. To prevent W10 updates I went into Windows settings and set up metered wifi which supposedly will prevent auto updates. This will be my fix until Jussi comes up with a new HQP version which will solve the incompatibility issue.

Go into settings --> Network and Internet-->Wifi-->Properties--> Metered Connection set to ON. Fairly simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I have gone to the new Sonicorbiter operating system flash card I have been experiencing HQP stoppage caused by no device showing in settings. Usually happens when I warm up the system and run the dac volume control at a low level. Any ideas? I am running HQP 3.16.4 and am running my pc to a microRendu to my Vinnie Dac.

• 4 months later...