IGNORED

HQ Player

• 2 weeks later...
I have just started using HQP (v.3.13.3) with my mch NADAC and Win10. It works great except with upconverting from DSD64 (most of my mch filess are DSD downloads at DSD64) to DSD256 in mch. Works fine with stereo, but not with mch. If I keep at DSD64, I have no problems, but not at DSD256. I tried several algorithms includng the recommended - poly-sinc with and without 2s, 100ms buffer. Any suggestions. I didn't go through the 6000 plus posts, so if the answer is already posted, please direct me to the right place.

BTW I was able to load two of my NativeDSD DSD256 mch files to HQP and they played without problem at DSD256. Of course, they were not being upconverted. The other four DSD256 files from NativeDSD all caused HQP to crash when I tried to load them.

Thanks, Larry

What PC do you have? For Multi-ch DSD256 upsampling you need a very powerful cpu with many cores.

Have you tried DSD128? Do you get the same result?

I didn't fully understand your post. Does HQP crash every time you upsample DSD64>DSD256? Does it start calculation?

Merging Technologies driver is single client, so you can have only one program that uses it at a time - either Emotion or HQPlayer in your case.

CUDA refers to nVidia game/3D graphic cards that offer offload to HQPlayer calculation. As you have a laptop, it doesn't interest you.

What CPU do you have in your HP laptop? You need minimum a quad core.

If you haven't done it already, enable Pipeline SDM in Settings.

You say that 2 mch albums played fine (the two Bach Cello Suites V1 and V2 mch). I wonder if they have a different channel configuration compared to the other DSD256 albums.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi generic question, probably answered somewhere in thread already.

New to HQplayer, just got back into computer audio,

Is Cuda offload always recommended? Running win 10 64 bit, i7 5930k processor with dual nvidia 980ti video cards.

CUDA offload is particularly useful for heavy computation like upsampling to DSD512, multichannel, DSD upsampling with convolution...

As you own a nVidia video card already, you can make it work for you even in lighter conditions. Of course, its influence in terms of speed improvement would be only slight.

When I download the update will it over-write the current version and save my settings?

Yes. If you use the latest beta version, however, you better uninstall the current version.

Will it automatically integrate all of the associated software?

Yes. All the previous setup with other applications will stay the same.

Should I upgrade Roon or HQPlayer first?

It does not matter.

I looking forward to someone is making an iOS app for the HQPlayer. I assume Miska don't mind if someone do ? Maybe they person making iPeng could do ? (IPeng control the Logitech Media Server).

If I understand this corectly you then only need to install HQPlayer Embedded on either a PC or NAS. Or maybe you have to use that version ?

Then, why not just add a interface for the filters in the Roon app ? As I suppose that is doable as well.

Yes, I'm working with the developer to have him release 1.01 that does better job of library import/scans. It's a very nice concept, especially stuff like the filter map (assuming one does not mix playlists with differently mapped sample rates, otherwise first mapped setup is default for rest of playlist).

From Alchemy developer:

"The current desktop application will be ported to OSX. The desktop version (Win and OSX) will be the interface between the remote app and HQPlayer. It is necessary to provide the library browsing capabilities, ramdisk and filter switching functions, although it will run in "server" mode with no UI.

Difficult to provide a time-frame at this stage."

Also, can HQPlayer process UPnP input? I would like to try it running Plex.

Only HQPlayer Embedded (Linux only) can work with UPnP. You need to buy a Linux license and then upgrade the license to Embedded requesting at support.

Is it OK to use 96kHz convolution files even though it convolves at 44.1kHz? Thanks!!

Yes, normally Miska even recommends to use a 192kHz filter.

• 2 weeks later...
Miska, my computer is maxing out its CPU load (and I hear audible clicks) when I try to play a native DSD256 file. If I downsample to DSD128 or DSD64, there is a loud hiss that goes with the music.

I have an i7-6700 and I am running 8 channels of convolution. This is why the CPU load is so high. I have turned off as many services as I can to keep the computer running. Task Manager shows that HQP is using 99% of CPU.

I currently am using the poli-sync-2s and DSD7 filters. My questions:

1. What settings do I need to reduce the CPU load?

2. How do I get rid of the hiss when downsampling?

With 8ch calculation you're pushing the boundaries of your system. :)

99% of CPU means you're maxim out! Not good.

Perhaps you can use AO to optimize your PC resources a bit.

Have you enabled Pipeline SDM? You should.

You can try enabling DirectSDM. In this way you stop delta-sigma elaboration for DSD content, but convolution is still possible.

If it works, you will have convolution at native DSD resolution (64, 128, 256) and still retain convolution -> DSD256 for PCM.

The hiss is probably due to your system hitting its limit.

Was full screen/touch mode for HQPlayer disabled in 3.14b5? Every time, I try to run it I get a blank screen with top left hand corner saying "Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop - registered:" and the right side having the normal option for minimize, maximize or exit. I use my iPad as remote via RDP session. It also does not work via normal RDP session from either a win10 or win8.1 system.

Try if it happens also with new 3.14b7

Signalyst - Installing HQPlayer beta

Hi All. I'm hoping for some help. I downloaded and installed HQPlayer to use with Roon and my Mytek Brooklyn DAC which does PCM to 32/384 and DSD256 natively. I got everything set up last night on HQPlayer for PCM and DSD playback. I set HQP to upsample to the highest PCM rate the Brooklyn will handle (32/384kHz) and also the highest DSD rate the Brooklyn will handle (DSD256). Under settings I have: SDM Pack - none, DAC Bits - 32, AltDSD is not checked, Sample Rate Limit - 384000, Bit Rate Limit - 11289600. DSDIFF/DSF: Direct SDM, not checked. I seem to be able to play PCM fine upsampled to the highest rate, but on those settings all of my DSD files are converted to PCM at 384000. I have tried setting the SDM Pack to DoP and that works for the DSD64 files, but DSD 128 and DSD256 Seem to be downdampled to DSD 64 and the display on my DAC shows "No Lock. I opened a ticket with Mytek, but they referred me back to HQPlayer. Anyone on here know what I'm doing wrong with my settings that I'm not able to upsample all of my DSD files to DSD256 and play through HQPlayer + Roon? Also, another issue is that I can play several files, then HQPlayer quits or locks up and I have to shut it down and restart it.

Firstly, make sure that HQPlayer on its own can upsample PCM to DSD256.

Secondly, in Roon click on HQPlayer icon in the low right, set Crossfade to 0.

A "non" technical question for Miska...

I have tried the free trial and really like the product. I now want to purchase the license but would like to hear a little more about the license terms. I don't think it is already explained in the manual and I have had no luck trying to Google an answer...

For how long time can I expect to be able to update the HQPlayer software after the purchase?

...or is it licensed like 1.x.x , 2.x.x , 3.x.x meaning that the 4.x.x would require a new license?

And while talking about the version 4...is that version planed to to be released within the next year or so?

Thank you very much :-)

Regards

Martin Roerup

Well, if you buy a license now, you're entitled to free upgrades to all versions 3.x.x.

When v4 is released, there will be an upgrade cost involved. Owners of v3.x.x license will be able to upgrade at a discount price.

I leave Miska to reply to the second part of your question :)

Anyone willing to share their settings for upsampling to a Mojo? For some reason, I am getting a lot of dropouts on an i7-4770 with 12gb of memory. At the moment, I am using poly-sinc-shrt-mp/NS5/352 and getting fairly frequent dropouts.

You are not on an NAA, I suppose...

With those settings I doubt that it's a problem of cpu power.

I would set DAC bits to Default and check in your system if there is something that creates high latency like a driver or antivirus. Look on Gogle for some software utility to measure latency on your OS.

I am using a microrendu. I downloaded Latencymon (?) and that seems to show that things are ok. I did discover that I was on some weird Samsung power saving plan. Got off that but still dropping out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ah, you do have a NAA... the matter is different then.

...and you're outputting at 352.8 on the microRendu, right?!

The problem probably resides in your network.

How is your LAN? What switch do you have?

Yesterday, I installed a trial version of HQ Player on my MB pro.

I noticed that the software remembers the output device and filter settings, but does not keep the last dither or sampling frequency settings.

Is this a normal behavior? is it related to the Demo version?

It depends on your setup in Settings. As long as you close it properly, HQPlayer keeps dither and frequency.

PS: I sent you a PM

Hi guys,

I am a new member and i need your help with HQPlayer.

I use HQPlayer with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer Pro on Windows Server.

I don't have an nvidia card , my cpu is an i5 3570k and my DAC is a psaudio nuwave ( max 192k no dsd support ) .

So when i play a file everything sound great the sound is really good.

But i wondering if i setup the player at his best possibility because when i look my cpu load it's very low ( a few % ).

Can you tell me if everything is good ?

I use : poly sinc short mp and TPDF And Auto k and PCM.

Thank you by advance for your help and i'm sorry my english is not very good.

Aurelien.

It's all correct!

In PCM only a cpu is not stressed at all.

You can test filter/noise shape combinations as you like.

HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded 3.14.0 released!

For Network Audio Adapter endpoints, improved discovery and support for IPv6 (Win/Linux). New modulator for DSD512+ rates rates and new filter variants. Added minimum-phase variant for two new filters. Hardware requirements bumped up. Lot of bug fixes and other improvements.