IGNORED

HQ Player

I just received amy Holo audio Red, that I would like to use as an NAA.

It works fine out of the box, except that I have some sporadic dropouts.

I am checking my network, replacing some cables, but I would llike to use naa-440-raspberrypi4-holored.7z iso of Holo Audio Red build.

I have burnt this image on a spare 256GB microSDHC card ( nothing smaller at hands ) with Rufus 4.0

I see 2 partitions : 1st one boot FAT32 (70,34MB) , 2nd one root EXT4 (1,7GB) 

Unfortunately, Holo Red does not start up from this card. 

Any advice before I order an extra (smaller) card?

Dirk

15 minutes ago, Miska said:

How do you conclude it doesn't start up? I would be surprised if there's such card size limitation. I'm using a Kingston 32 GB card myself, since smaller ones are starting to be hard to get.

For drop-outs, first thing to check is that 802.3x Flow Control is active. Since many small devices are unable to keep up with sustained 1 Gbps speeds without packet losses (which result in resends which in turn makes situation worse).

Hi Jussi

Thanks for your swift response.

In the meantime I have reflashed the card, an now the Holo Red not only starts correctly (green light in the front) but plays very nicely.

Thanks for all the support

Dirk

24 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

For going direct with HQP OS I have used my micro sd that after several intents of the same failure ( launches then freezes ) I re-balena it several times guessing maybe something wrong went into that process, well now that ScanDisk 128GB Micro Sd is dead now, after I went on a ScanDisk USB stick and the issue remains...frustrated to say least

I also encountered issues with my ScanDisk 256GB using Balena.

reflashed with Rufus (4.0) and now no more problems (hoping to keep it that way).

Maybe just some bad/good luck!

I do remember @Miska saying somewhere that ScanDisk flah drives are ‘not preferred’

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

If we have enough processing power to upsample to DSD512, is it generally better to use the 512+fs version? What is the difference?

Since a couple of days I am using ASDMEC7-super 512+fs (in combination with polysinc-gauss-xla/polysinc-gauss-hires-lp filters)

Dac is T+A 8 DSD.

Compared to ASDMEC7-v2 modulator, the biggest difference is the flow and integration of the music.

Technically, I believe harmonics are far better supported.

All details are there, all bass is there, the soundstage is the same, individual placing/spacing  of the instruments is perfect,

but the big difference is all instruments connect to each other, creating a musical flow that for me, is really hands and feet tapping.

Hopefully this gives a hint, as of course it is very personal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Atriya said:

I get this same error, and then HQPlayer crashes when any audio is played. I do see the NAA device in Output Device Settings-> Device and it is selected. But when I close the Settings window I get this error.

The NAA is a RoPieeeXL device that's in the same WiFi network as my laptop running HQPlayer.

On the same setup, Roon Bridge works fine.

Maybe already checked and answered, but have you made the right selection in HQPlayer Configuration:

image.png.1f5e8a93bd4bdd88942dbbbd04aaefd6.png

If your DAC is connected and powered on (and it huld!) , then you get 2 options to choose from.

The one that needs to be selected, is the one with 'DAC' in it.

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ManfredHQ said:

My Lector Dac IS UP to 196khz 

When listen 48khz => 196hhz

Belle music +++

When. Listen 41khz > 172khz 

Belle music +

Using sinc-mga

Just some small friendly corrections:

cd-quality = 44,1kHz (not 41kHz).  4x Upsampled = 176,4kHz (and not 172 kHz)

48kHz 4* upsampled = 192kHz (iso 196kHz)

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Kirbyt said:

I have t+a dac 200 with corrections enabled and I believe it to be working. Can anyone (or Miska) give a brief explanation of what dac corrections are?

Do  you hear any difference with correction disabled/enabled?

Dirk