IGNORED

HQ Player

• 3 weeks later...
I would not follow suite. Keep Roon processing and HQPlayer processing away from each other. It is nice that Roon now officially supports the QNAP and Synology NAS machines (many have moved to them even prior to the announcement) but they would be the last place I'd want HQPlayer, especially given what HQPlayer requires (to do DSD512 upsampling, for example). Roon on your NAS, HQPlayer on your workhorse, and the NAA on your minimalist quiet isolated DAC-connected device. A nice audio menage a trois. :)

I ill only do PCM up conversion, as my DAC most likely never will support DSD. (Not even sure if HQPlayer will benefit me for that limited use as well).

Maybe my TS-453-Pro https://www.qnap.com/i/en/product/model.php?II=149&event=2 is sufficient. 8Gb RAM.

In order to test this, is it possible to install HQPlayer on Qnap ?

Does a installer packadge exist ? Or will it be made, now that the Qnaps get more powerful with the TVS series ?

My Linux knowledge is very limited.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats right. However, are you expecting to upsample to DSD? Which QNAP model do you have?

No DSD. Only PCM upsampled from Tidal or local rips. Maybe some hires from HDTracks. I've just started testing HQPlayer with MicroRendu and Roon. Roon is on my TS-453-Pro 8GB ram. HQPlayer on HTPC did not draw to much power, so I like to test it on the Qnap.

Also I know the new TVS models may have enough power to do DSD. Expensive though.

So far tings works fine, but I do also experience that Roon is loosing connection with HQPlayer. I've started logfile in HQPlayer. I plan to make a post later maybe. Not sure. My music is on a 2008R2 server. I may move them to the Qnap.

I will need to do a full reinstall of the Qnap anyway, as for some reason my Container Station will not install.

I'm just stated to test HQPlayer. I was hoping I could control HQPlayer from Roon. Not possible. I think better integration is needed. A simple link to the filters etc. would be nice.

Now I need an advice:

What is the best settings for CD's rips and Tidal up-sampling to PCM 192 (or 96 if suggested). Several experiences is welcome, as I understand there is no exactly given answer to this.

My SPDIF converter is a hiFace EVO. DAC = Theta Gen VIII. (Audioquest USB Coffee Cable).

Thats right. However, are you expecting to upsample to DSD? Which QNAP model do you have?

Probably very foolish question:

How to install HQPlayer on Qnap ?

Should I start a new tread, cause google did not give me any answers.

I've installed Ubuntu using Container Station. What is the next step. I guess I should be able to have some sort of a GUI by something similar to VLC ?

And from there install HQPlayer ?

No, it isn't! As you can see from the 1st page, it refers to v3.1.0,

You can find the most up-to-date user manual in your HQPlayer installation directory.

Thanks.

I was hoping for some updated installation instructions on a Qnap, and maybe with suggestions of best/correct setup with MicroRendu and Roon, and which settings would be relevant if Roon and the MR was used.

Seems I just have to wait for my other post to be answered.

So far the best I've seen in a NAS is Intel Atom CPU. That's good for PCM upsampling, but for DSD it is not so good.

The only point in buying a NAS device I can see is ease of setting it up, otherwise those are scaled down computers running Linux server. So I rather buy a real server hardware and turn it into a NAS by installing Ubuntu Server or Debian Stretch. For Roon interoperability you need HQPlayer Desktop which in turn has a GUI so the computer needs to be graphics capable*. HQPlayer Embedded is a different thing that doesn't have GUI and thus doesn't need graphics capabilities either, but it is not Roon compatible.

Creating something like headless HQPlayer Server version would require reimplementing the application. Doable of course, but a lot of work...

*) When you run HQPlayer Desktop on Linux, it of course doesn't mean that the physical graphics output would need to happen on the same computer, thanks to X11 it can be redirected to some other computer. Like another Linux machine or Mac (there's a free Xserver for Mac). And it is also possible to Windows, but a bit more pain to set up or alternatively needs to go with a commercial solution.

The newest Qnap may be powerful enough. For me only doing PCM up-sampling, the Qnap I have is good enough I guess. Still I do not know how to be able to install HQPlayer in the Container Station my Qnap. Any help / guide ?

If not headless HQPlayer is on your roadmap, how about a iDevice App ? Or even better for us Roon users, a better integration with the app, so you can change filters/settings direct from Roon. Is it doable ? On your/Roon roadmap ?

Is a Qnap (Qpkg) version more doable than a headless version ? Or does that actually mean you would have to do a headless anyway ?

I have now tried HQPlayer for 11 days. I have some problems that repeats itself all the time.

My Roon server is on my Qnap TS-453-Pro. HQP installed on a HTPC. Using the MicroRendu, with SW 2.2. All on same Linksys switch. All fixed IP, set by my IPCop firewall. I believe my network is good. Using Tidal. Local rips is present at a 2008R2. I only use iPad as control.

When using Roon and the MR, no problem. With HQP in the loop, I loose connection all the time after a while. Can be an hour. Can be more. (Roon states; Lost connection with transport or something).

Solution that seems to work is to choose Apps, HQPlayer in the Sonore meny, and the I have to press restart two times in order get the green text confirming HQPlayer has been restarted.

Then it seems to play in the Roon menu, since these small blue bars are moving, but it does not.

Then I RDT to HQPlayer, and press "Allow control from network" two times. Then I can press play in Roon.

This is oblivious a network communication issue. I have now idea if it is related to HQPlayer, Sonore, or Roon.

Or my hiFace EVO, that shows up in HQP settings.

I have enabled logfile in HQPlayer.

Today I've installed the latest beta. Time will tell if that helps.

Is there anything I could do in order to help you understand what can cause the problem ? Or is this a know issue ?

• 3 weeks later...
The newest Qnap may be powerful enough. For me only doing PCM up-sampling, the Qnap I have is good enough I guess. Still I do not know how to be able to install HQPlayer in the Container Station my Qnap. Any help / guide ?

If not headless HQPlayer is on your roadmap, how about a iDevice App ? Or even better for us Roon users, a better integration with the app, so you can change filters/settings direct from Roon. Is it doable ? On your/Roon roadmap ?

Is a Qnap (Qpkg) version more doable than a headless version ? Or does that actually mean you would have to do a headless anyway ?

I have now tried HQPlayer for 11 days. I have some problems that repeats itself all the time.

My Roon server is on my Qnap TS-453-Pro. HQP installed on a HTPC. Using the MicroRendu, with SW 2.2. All on same Linksys switch. All fixed IP, set by my IPCop firewall. I believe my network is good. Using Tidal. Local rips is present at a 2008R2. I only use iPad as control.

When using Roon and the MR, no problem. With HQP in the loop, I loose connection all the time after a while. Can be an hour. Can be more. (Roon states; Lost connection with transport or something).

Solution that seems to work is to choose Apps, HQPlayer in the Sonore meny, and the I have to press restart two times in order get the green text confirming HQPlayer has been restarted.

Then it seems to play in the Roon menu, since these small blue bars are moving, but it does not.

Then I RDT to HQPlayer, and press "Allow control from network" two times. Then I can press play in Roon.

This is oblivious a network communication issue. I have now idea if it is related to HQPlayer, Sonore, or Roon.

Or my hiFace EVO, that shows up in HQP settings.

I have enabled logfile in HQPlayer.

Today I've installed the latest beta. Time will tell if that helps.

Is there anything I could do in order to help you understand what can cause the problem ? Or is this a know issue ?

Miska

I sent you a logfile some time ago. Had time to look at it ?

I'm still losing connection. "Transport: Roon lost connection with the audio device".

Quite often. Less than 2 hours. Now I also have to open settings in HQPlayer and press save in order establish connection. That's after "restart" HQPlayer from MicroRendu.

Time to answer some of my other questions ?

It shows when a resultant DSD file is too hot and exceeds the standard, causing clipping. This can occur when out of spec SACD rips get extracted, or more likely when high sample rate PCM gets upsampled to DSD. That's why Jussi always recommends -3db as max volume setting.

So since I only do PCM up sampling, I can ignore Jussi's recommendations ?

You also have volume in HQPlayer turned up too high because you get limiting. Make sure you don't turn it higher than -2 dBFS with -3 dBFS being recommended setting. Keep eye on the "Limited" counter in HQPlayer main window, it should always stay 0.

Thanks Miska. I must have a problem understanding what is relevant for me with only PCM and a 24/192 DAC in stereo. And the MicroRendu.

And I wish I could use HQPlayer without a PC or Headless, or just had available the main controls in Roon menu. Which is the filters/dither I guess.

Is it not as simple as I chose 2 channels. Channel offset = 0. (What ever that is), SDM Pack (What ever that is) none. Do not check 2 wire. (What ever that is), set DAC bits at 24, set sample rate 192000, since this is my DAC limitations.

More or less forget everything else, except volume as you suggest, and then only try Filter and Dither under PCM defaults ? Is it not as simple as that ?

On the main page, as a Roon user, the only thing relevant for me is to check allow network control ?

Martix, Tools, is nothing for me ? Only those few under settings as described.

So even there are many settings available, should they not be made unavailable when SDM is set to none ?

Maybe HQPlayer should be made simplere with a only PCM option ?

Maybe you can add some * in the user manual where only relevant for DSD (or PCM).

Where can I find information or a user manual for HQPlayer embedded. I have no idea what it is. Can it do the same as HQPlayer ? Is there a matrix showing the difference somewhere ?

In teori, could you not just add your DAC by a drop down list, and some settings would be adjust according to that ?

(Which I understand will cause a maintainance problem).

Still I think Roon was actually thinking in those directions when MQA was discussed as a possible SW implementation. Cause you needed to know which DAC you where dealing with in order to add the correct filters/settings. And USB is a two way communication protocol, but not all DAC's tell who they are.

Of cause that left out all SPDIF interfaces as an automatic recognition. So you still needed a list of DAC's.

Primarily you can try filter and dither settings in the main window, and once you want to set something as default, go to settings-dialog and set the ones you want as default ones.

Nope, this option is not available the way I use HQPlayer. NAA, Roon, and MicroRendu.

I have to use settings.

The only usefull setting in main window is allow network control.

Edit:

They are available when i stop playing from Roon. I guess that how it is intended to be.

Just to let the community know that there is a new touch friendly interface to HQPlayer called Alchemy Desktop for Win 7, 8.1, 10, Server 2012 64 bit.

30 day trial available. Cost AU$12

Check it out at: Alchemy Desktop

I looking forward to someone is making an iOS app for the HQPlayer. I assume Miska don't mind if someone do ? Maybe they person making iPeng could do ? (IPeng control the Logitech Media Server).

If I understand this corectly you then only need to install HQPlayer Embedded on either a PC or NAS. Or maybe you have to use that version ?

Then, why not just add a interface for the filters in the Roon app ? As I suppose that is doable as well.

From Alchemy developer:

"The current desktop application will be ported to OSX. The desktop version (Win and OSX) will be the interface between the remote app and HQPlayer. It is necessary to provide the library browsing capabilities, ramdisk and filter switching functions, although it will run in "server" mode with no UI.

Difficult to provide a time-frame at this stage."

This is not a smart device interface. OSX is not iOS.

As I understand this, the only thing this SW is doing is to create a remote interface to the HQPlayer on a PC or MAC.

Or have I misunderstood ?

RDC is what I call it. But yes,. Remote Desktop client.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092?mt=8

Alchemy is ONLY a GUI for HQP. It is not a player, it needs HQP. I am not preferring per se, I am using Alchemy as front end and HQP as back end (Alchemy still needs work but it is a great idea). Another front end you can use is JRIver, assuming you already own it somewhere (again, not as engine, just as GUI), and just use it to drag an drop (better than Windows explorer or finder).t

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28681[/ATTACH]

ted_b

Have you tried this SW with Roon and MicroRendu ?

To me it does not work at all....

Can explore more later.

To be very clear, Alchemy is ONLY for HQPlayer, period. It does not work with Roon; it is a poor man's Roon (oversimplified greatly). And yes, I use a uRendu but that is irrelevant as it is used downstream as an NAA (i.e after HQPlayer gets its files from Roon or Alchemy or drag-and-drop or HQP's own library manager-GUI, etc).

Not sure if you are clear :)

Let me explain better. I use HQPlayer with Roon and MicroRendu. So I was trying to use Alchemy as control point for the HQPlayer with setting as NAA.

I did not in this case use the latest beta HQPlayer.

It was not possible to setup Alchemy in my case. If you are saying the Alchemy can't control HQPlayer when combined with Roon, then your explaination make sence.

I have never used HQPlayer as a stand alone media player, and i probably never will. My only reason to use HQPlayer is to be able to upsample PCM Redbook and Tidal, and test some filters.

With set up, I mean "Filter Maps", it accepted the input settings, but it was not possible to create output settings. Also I did not find the setting for NAA vs Asio etc.

If you like we can create a new thread about setting up Alchemy. Not sure if usefull. This SW seems to be in its early development.

Not sure if you are clear :)

Let me explain better. I use HQPlayer with Roon and MicroRendu. So I was trying to use Alchemy as control point for the HQPlayer with setting as NAA.

I did not in this case use the latest beta HQPlayer.

It was not possible to setup Alchemy in my case. If you are saying the Alchemy can't control HQPlayer when combined with Roon, then your explaination make sence.

I have never used HQPlayer as a stand alone media player, and i probably never will. My only reason to use HQPlayer is to be able to upsample PCM Redbook and Tidal, and test some filters.

With set up, I mean "Filter Maps", it accepted the input settings, but it was not possible to create output settings. Also I did not find the setting for NAA vs Asio etc.

If you like we can create a new thread about setting up Alchemy. Not sure if usefull. This SW seems to be in its early development.

I found a minor error in that SW. I've notified support. Those filter settings is not so easy as they seems. You have to both select one of the three PCD/DSD/Auto and in addition chose between Auto Rate and Max rate. (Which is explained what is the difference in last page, last sentence in user manual)

If you have done any selections in the right most box (Dither selections), you can not change your filters.

I was thinking of using this SW to more easily test the different filters in "PCM*" selected input mode, it's to time consuming adding all the options. Then HQPlayer is better.

Maybe a defalt option like "Add All" in output mode could be an option. Or at least "Add All" pr. Dither. (After selected input).

Also, this shows us that if Roon would like to, they could add HQPlayer control / filter selections into their app.

They could even auto select filters based on tags :)

• 4 weeks later...

Miska

When HQPlayer loose connection with MicroRendu, and after I have reset/restart the MicroRendu, I still have to open and close settings in HQPlayer.

Is there anything you you can do in order for HQPlayer to reconnect itself ?

if it can't be done automatically, at least implement a "refresh" in the bottom for allow network control.

That shouldn't happen and you shouldn't restart microRendu while HQPlayer is running. Do you have the latest 2.3 software on microRendu?

It should reconnect when you start playback... (assuming you are using latest beta)

I have the latest 2.3, and using the latest HQPlayer beta.

Well it happens all the time. Not sure what you mean be not restart MicroRendu while HQPlayer is running. Music stops, so of cause HQPlayer stops.

Then I open MicroRendu and have to restart HQPlayer version 3.4 two times in the MicroRendu in order to get the green text confirming a restart has been performed.

if I don't do that HQPlayer will not see the MicroRendu in settings. After restart HQPlayer in MicroRendu, I have to do the open / close settings in HQPlayer in order to establish connection.

I only use ipad as control. Roon is on a Qnap. You got a logfile from me some time ago, and you couldn't find any error related to the HQPlayer.

I started a test test with setting up a PC as NAA. But did not manage HQPlayer to see the NAA. But I could see two new lines in the NAA commando "CMD like interface" every time I tried to reconnect.

The idea behind the test was to rule out HQPlayer as the source for a possible error.

Still I'm thinking the error must be related to the MicroRendu.

I have in stalled wireshark but as you can se here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode-27274/index5.html#post584238 I'm not sure how that would help isolate the network problems.

It looks like it plays in the Roon interface after the MicroRendu restart, but it is only the blue bars running, no music, and the time counter showing how far music is progressing is not moving. So that's why I have to open HQPlayer. So for sure HQPlayer do not reconnect automatically.

I think microRendu is same SoC as SoSE/CuBox-i, but I don't know if it requires some kernel configuration changes. I'll try with my image for just sake of trying to to see if/what works or doesn't... :)

(but I'll probably need to copy over the device tree binary (dtb) from micoRendu)

I think I will not install other SW on my MicroRendu. And to be honest I did not catch what I would achieve doing so.

Install your NAA temporarily on a PC as a test to verify if my problems with the MicroRendu and HQPlayer still was present, made sense to me. Through I had problem seeing the NAA. So I more or less gave up that test (suggested by Roon).

Now the NAA issues has been solved http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-naa-output-mode-27274/index6.html#post585089, as I now can see the PC as NAA.

I will use the last changes to my Cisco switch for some days, and hopefully the loosing connection with the MicroRendu in conjunction with Roon and HQPlayer is gone.

Still I must say I'm not 100% sure, since the solution is related to your NAA SW on a PC, and not the MicroRendu. (Is there a difference ?)

Actually when I just stopped my music now, in order to look for the PC NAA I could not see the MicroRendu as an option, so I selected ip6, and then the MicroRendu was a valid selection. Strange, but as long as it works, I'm ok.

@Miska

I've noticed that Roon version 1.3 will have API's.

Are you planning to make use of this possibillity in version 3.x or later versions of HQPlayer ?

If I understand the consept with API correctly, you can as an example press stop/play of Roon within HQPlayer.

Which would be very convenient in order to test the different settings in HQPlayer when using Roon :)

(Even though I would prefer Roon could control filter settings in HQPlayer, and maybe even based on tags)

I still miss a guide of how to install HQPlayer in container station in QNAP. Are you able to help there ?

As I understand as asked before a qpack is very far from beeing developed, if ever.