IGNORED

Beyerdynamic DT1350-T51p Earpad Mod - full review.

Here it is, with video, photos and graphs. My replacement of the Beyerdynamic DT1350's stock earpads with the T51p earpads, which makes a big difference to the sound - a very useful difference for me, especially in increasing the bass and smoothing the midrange.

Beyerdynamic DT1350 (T51p Earpad Mod) review by Dale

Can you buy the T51p earpads separately? I'd like to try this with my DT-1350s, but don't want to buy and cannibalize a pair of T51p's for that purpose ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Can you buy the T51p earpads separately? I'd like to try this with my DT-1350s, but don't want to buy and cannibalize a pair of T51p's for that purpose ;)

Yes you can buy the pads separately. They are the 'EDT 51' according to the label, and I ordered on the Beyer website and it took a month to get them. Next time I'm going to call a local office and see if I can speed it up. My cost in the U.S. was $29 plus $15 shipping, for a total of $44. Pricy for those tiny earpads, but a marvelous difference so I feel good about it.

Edit: Above the 'EDT 51' on the label is '912603' which is also an official part number I think. Probably a good idea to specify both numbers. I was afraid of getting the wrong earpads after all that time, but what I got was the real T51p pads.

Yes you can buy the pads separately. They are the 'EDT 51' according to the label, and I ordered on the Beyer website and it took a month to get them. Next time I'm going to call a local office and see if I can speed it up. My cost in the U.S. was $29 plus $15 shipping, for a total of $44. Pricy for those tiny earpads, but a marvelous difference so I feel good about it.

Edit: Above the 'EDT 51' on the label is '912603' which is also an official part number I think. Probably a good idea to specify both numbers. I was afraid of getting the wrong earpads after all that time, but what I got was the real T51p pads.

Thanks! I'll give it a try :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this useful thread.

I was wondering whether you have tried modding the T51p by replacing its earpads with 1350 ones, to see how that affects the sound of these?

The pads I am thinking about are listed on the Beyerdynamic site as EDT 1350 SL, though I'm also considering the EDT 1350 SL, if they will fit.

I recently purchased the T51p as a general purpose home headphone, but I'm finding it too dull in the high frequencies. I'm thinking maybe it is made worse by the way the phones sit on my ears, because my experiences do not seem to match up with what people have said about the T51p in reviews.

Thanks for this useful thread. I was wondering whether you have tried modding the T51p by replacing its earpads with 1350 ones, to see how that affects the sound of these? The pads I am thinking about are listed on the Beyerdynamic site as EDT 1350 SL, though I'm also considering the EDT 1350 SL, if they will fit. I recently purchased the T51p as a general purpose home headphone, but I'm finding it too dull in the high frequencies. I'm thinking maybe it is made worse by the way the phones sit on my ears, because my experiences do not seem to match up with what people have said about the T51p in reviews.

The T51p is dull in the highs overall, but it's partly offset by the peak around 5 khz, which you would not like if you boosted the treble. I would never put the DT1350 earpads on anything, as they don't seal well for even minimum bass, and they don't seal at all in cooler weather. But not only that, the stiff DT1350 pads are very uncomfortable where the T51p earpads are very comfy. But here, see the EQ curves I did on the DT1350 with T51p pads, and on the T51p itself:

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_Dt1351p.jpg

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T51p.jpg

Alright, thanks for the response man.

I'm not sure whether you were referring to the stock 1350 pads, or the replacement pads which are available to purchase - the 67mm softskin, and the velour ones. I wasn't talking about replacing the T51p pads with stock 1350 ones - I haven't heard anything promising about those pads.

In any case, I think it's definitely worth a shot. I'm gonna try it. Some people seem to think highly of the comfort level of the velour 1350 replacement pads, as well as the 67mm softskin ones. See this thread: IMPROVING THE COMFORT OF THE DT1350 WITH TWO NEW EARPADS FROM BEYERDYNAMIC

I'll report back with my results.

:)

Alright, thanks for the response man. I'm not sure whether you were referring to the stock 1350 pads, or the replacement pads which are available to purchase - the 67mm softskin, and the velour ones. I wasn't talking about replacing the T51p pads with stock 1350 ones - I haven't heard anything promising about those pads. In any case, I think it's definitely worth a shot. I'm gonna try it. Some people seem to think highly of the comfort level of the velour 1350 replacement pads, as well as the 67mm softskin ones. See this thread: IMPROVING THE COMFORT OF THE DT1350 WITH TWO NEW EARPADS FROM BEYERDYNAMIC

I'll report back with my results. :)

The 1350 'Facelift' (67 mm) pads are no better than the stock pads. I've avoided the velour because 1) They won't sound the same, and 2) They absorb sweat and stuff and the sound will change anyway.