IGNORED

There's been a lot of talk about this sampling rate, maybe...maybe too much talk

You don't need me, just check the current NY Times or New Yorker Magazine, get out your netjets card and go.

That is too bad…I'm sure you know NYC far, far better than what I could find in a general Google search. Not much value in that as it is really hit and miss.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

If they want to go to the most precise concert hall, take them to Alice Tully. If they want to hear the next generation of world class musicians, take them to the Peter Sharp Theater at Julliard.

Thanks for the recommendations…much better than "look it up yourself in a rag."

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I'd extend an offer as a native guide for any CA member coming to the big apple for an audio related cultural experience.........at least some descent places to eat! Lol

That is a very generous offer. Thank you!

My trip to San Francisco was much better because I met my bro-in-law and we went to the concert together. I still had lots of time to explore on my own due to overlapping schedules but it wouldn't have been very enjoyable to have not connected with someone while there.

John

Thanks for the recommendations…much better than "look it up yourself in a rag."

John

You might actually look at the typical event listing in the New Yorker before you call it a "rag" They tend to be mini reviews/backgrounders. Here's a typical entry, it has more analysis then a typical brother in law can provide. Pop quiz, without google, who is Carl Nielsen

"N.Y. PHILHARMONIC WITH MARC-ANDRÉ HAMELINAvery Fisher Hall—New York Philharmonic

If Thomas Adès, among British composers, is the Mozart—i.e., a super-charismatic composer-performer—of Generation X, then Julian Anderson is the Haydn: a forward-looking modernist with a keen interest in folk music. His latest orchestral piece, “The Discovery of Heaven” (a co-commission with the London Philharmonic), combines influences of Mongolian overtone singing, Japanese gagaku court music, and Carl Nielsen. Andrew Davis leads the U.S. première of the work in this week’s program, along with Franck’s seldom heard “Variations Symphoniques” for piano and orchestra (with the brilliant Marc-André Hamelin) and selections from Prokofiev’s ballet “Romeo and Juliet”; the Saturday-matinée concert pairs the Prokofiev with a chamber performance of Fauré’s Piano Quartet in C Minor. (Avery Fisher Hall. 212-875-5656. April 24 at 7:30, April 25 at 11 a.m., and April 26 at 2 and 8.)"

or

"PARK AVENUE ARMORY RECITAL SERIES: FLUX QUARTETPark Avenue Armory

The Armory’s Board of Officers Room, an exquisitely restored Victorian-era gem, will provide a stylistically dissonant but appropriately grand venue for this enduring New York foursome, who are devoted to the masterworks of modernism. They’ll be tested to the limit when they perform, in this concert, Morton Feldman’s String Quartet No. 2, a monument of Abstract Expressionism in sound. The piece is rarely played, and for a very good reason—it’s six hours long, without a break. (Audience members may come and go as they wish.) (Park Ave. at 66th St. armoryonpark.org. April 26 at 3.)"

You might actually look at the typical event listing in the New Yorker before you call it a "rag" They tend to be mini reviews/backgrounders. Here's a typical entry, it has more analysis then a typical brother in law can provide. Pop quiz, without google, who is Carl Nielsen

My point was that you brag about how much better NYC is for music but when asked for help to discover this musical treasure, you say "look it up yourself in a fine magazine available on-line."

You then follow it up with a snarky quip about "who is Carl Nielsen without Google" presumably to demonstrate your continued superiority and to perhaps make the point that I (or those like me) are not worthy of your efforts because, again presumably, we lack what you have but won't share.

Everything you know, RealAudio, is something you learned from somebody else. Perhaps your ego has grown so large that you think you learned it all on your own somehow. The hubris you exhibit apparently has no bounds.

Take a moment to consider that sharing knowledge demonstrates greater authority than hoarding knowledge. And that is said with the generous idea that you are actually as knowledgeable as you say…as you point out, anybody can be an expert with a Google search and the fact that you would jump to that "test" speaks volumes about your real nature.

Best,

John

My point was that you brag about how much better NYC is for music but when asked for help to discover this musical treasure, you say "look it up yourself in a fine magazine available on-line."

You then follow it up with a snarky quip about "who is Carl Nielsen without Google" presumably to demonstrate your continued superiority and to perhaps make the point that I (or those like me) are not worthy of your efforts because, again presumably, we lack what you have but won't share.

Everything you know, RealAudio, is something you learned from somebody else. Perhaps your ego has grown so large that you think you learned it all on your own somehow. The hubris you exhibit apparently has no bounds.

Take a moment to consider that sharing knowledge demonstrates greater authority than hoarding knowledge. And that is said with the generous idea that you are actually as knowledgeable as you say…as you point out, anybody can be an expert with a Google search and the fact that you would jump to that "test" speaks volumes about your real nature.

Best,

John

Actually, I followed up with 2 random listing that I learned something from, why can't you? And Carl Nielson may be obscure in the US, but he was actually on the currency of his home country Denmark. That Ades is drawing on him is very interesting since Nelson is very different from his usual sources, such as the British band "Madness". And if you've never seen Hamlin perform live, well you should put it on your list of things to do, he's a remarkable pianist.

Actually, I followed up with 2 random listing that I learned something from, why can't you? And Carl Nielson may be obscure in the US, but he was actually on the currency of his home country Denmark. That Ades is drawing on him is very interesting since Nelson is very different from his usual sources, such as the British band "Madness". And if you've never seen Hamlin perform live, well you should put it on your list of things to do, he's a remarkable pianist.

I'll take you at your best, RealAudio. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll certainly consult the sources when I go to NYC the next time.

I'm currently planning a trip to Chicago for early summer and am trying to find where to go and it is remarkably hard to tell what is good and what is not so good from the internet. Nothing beats a real person who knows giving some pointers.

Best,

John

I'll take you at your best, RealAudio. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll certainly consult the sources when I go to NYC the next time.

I'm currently planning a trip to Chicago for early summer and am trying to find where to go and it is remarkably hard to tell what is good and what is not so good from the internet. Nothing beats a real person who knows giving some pointers.

Best,

John

I don't know about Chicago, but summer tends to be festivals, in NYC is the Lincoln Center Festival and the Mostly Mozart. Europe, does it better, there's the Proms

BBC - Proms - Tickets

and of course the Salzburg

Salzburg Festival

and others

You may think I view Texas as a cultural backwater, but compared to Europe and the UK, the US is a the real backwater.