IGNORED

There's been a lot of talk about this sampling rate, maybe...maybe too much talk

I spent an entire semester once, pretty much dedicated to studying the Ring Cycle. Interesting, but there is much better music out there to my taste. I enjoy performances of any part of it, but I much prefer the Italian or French operas more.

That course sounds interesting, why don't you share with us some of the non obvious insights you gained?

I spent an entire semester once, pretty much dedicated to studying the Ring Cycle. Interesting, but there is much better music out there to my taste. I enjoy performances of any part of it, but I much prefer the Italian or French operas more.

+1. I can enjoy the lyricism and sentimentality of Verdi far more often than the almost militaristic grandiosity of Wagner, which I love occasionally but find tiresome in large doses. (Meistersinger being a non-grandiose exception.)

I believe this is the first time anyone on CA mentioned an interest in Italian or French opera! (Other than baroque, which I assume is not what you mean.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

+1. I can enjoy the lyricism and sentimentality of Verdi far more often than the almost militaristic grandiosity of Wagner, which I love occasionally but find tiresome in large doses. (Meistersinger being a non-grandiose exception.)

I believe this is the first time anyone on CA mentioned an interest in Italian or French opera! (Other than baroque, which I assume is not what you mean.)

Surely not! At least the very popular and well knows operas must have been mentioned before, like Carmen? I can see if people don't know who Lully is, or what Gluck is all about, but -seriously? Delibes, Bizet, Debussy?! Or Verdi? Puccini? Aye yi yi! ;)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Surely not! At least the very popular and well knows operas must have been mentioned before, like Carmen? I can see if people don't know who Lully is, or what Gluck is all about, but -seriously? Delibes, Bizet, Debussy?! Or Verdi? Puccini? Aye yi yi! ;)

I can understand how most folks don't know any of them. You're in Austin, how many full opreas of your list have been performed in the past decade.

If you think Wagner has "almost militaristic grandiosity", then you're not listening. The core of the ring cycle is love, unrequited, father daughter, brother/sister (vice is nice but incest is best).

Whoo boy - you are are old greek friend aren't you?

Anyway, the answer to your question is a few last season, and few for this season.

2014-15 Season | Austin Lyric Opera

And within easy driving distance:

Houston Grand Opera schedules 2014-'15 season - Houston Chronicle

Season 2014-2015: Heights of Passion | The Dallas Opera

Season : The Opera San Antonio

and of course, the smaller opera companies with limited seasons.

Outside of the Met- how many have been performed in your area? (Not counting high schools...)

I can understand how most folks don't know any of them. You're in Austin, how many full opreas of your list have been performed in the past decade.

Robert A. Heinlein

Whoo boy - you are are old greek friend aren't you?

Anyway, the answer to your question is a few last season, and few for this season.

2014-15 Season | Austin Lyric Opera

And within easy driving distance:

Houston Grand Opera schedules 2014-'15 season - Houston Chronicle

Season 2014-2015: Heights of Passion | The Dallas Opera

Season : The Opera San Antonio

and of course, the smaller opera companies with limited seasons.

Outside of the Met- how many have been performed in your area? (Not counting high schools...)

Actually, all of them. BAM has had several Lully operas performed by William Christies company. Austin is 200 miles from Dallas and 165 miles to Houston. To be fair, then from NYC, I'd have to include Philadelphia, Boston and DC. It's not just the Met, just at Lincoln Center there are several other venues that host fully and semi staged performances, including Charpentier who I doubt has ever been performed in Texas

Texas may be a lot of things, but it's not a classical music destination

Oh, that Ring Cycle, its this one

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Der-Ring-Des-Nibelungen/dp/B003ZKLDPI

Actually, all of them. BAM has had several Lully operas performed by William Christies company. Austin is 200 miles from Dallas and 165 miles to Houston. To be fair, then from NYC, I'd have to include Philadelphia, Boston and DC. It's not just the Met, just at Lincoln Center there are several other venues that host fully and semi staged performances, including Charpentier who I doubt has ever been performed in Texas

Texas may be a lot of things, but it's not a classical music destination

Oh, that Ring Cycle, its this one

Amazon.com: Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen: Juha Uusitalo, Anna Larson, Lance Ryan, John Daszak, Christa Mayer, Gerhard Siegel, Franz-Josef Kapellmann, Peter Seiffert, Catherine Wyn-Rogers, Matti Salminen, Petra Maria Schnitzer, Ralf Lukas, Stephen

Have to concede that one. But on the other hand, Texas is about as far away from the barren cultural desert you seem to believe it is as it is possible to get...

A 200 mile drive? That's only a couple hours, not a big trip at all. Many of us drive 10-20 miles to get to the supermarket...

-Paul

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Think in terms of time, not distance. I live 30 minutes from San Antonio, 45 minutes from Austin, 2 1/2 hours from Houston driving and 3 hours total trip time to Dallas flying SW. When I lived in Sonoma County, 3 hours was the commute time to San Francisco, each way.

I am in San Francisco today to see Bruce Cockburn with my bro in law so a quick trip in State is no big deal.

RealAudio, how about a CA music weekend in NYC? You organize it! I'd go hear any style from classical to oper to jazz to rock of all types....

John

PS I had season tickets to the Dallas Opera just to see the ring cycle (one each season for four years)....

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Think in terms of time, not distance. I live 30 minutes from San Antonio, 45 minutes from Austin, 2 1/2 hours from Houston driving and 3 hours total trip time to Dallas flying SW. When I lived in Sonoma County, 3 hours was the commute time to San Francisco, each way.

I am in San Francisco today to see Bruce Cockburn with my bro in law so a quick trip in State is no big deal.

RealAudio, how about a CA music weekend in NYC? You organize it! I'd go hear any style from classical to oper to jazz to rock of all types....

John

PS I had season tickets to the Dallas Opera just to see the ring cycle (one each season for four years)....

You don't need me, just check the current NY Times or New Yorker Magazine, get out your netjets card and go.

I love Puccini!

George

I love Puccini!

A shoutout from me for my favorite opera composer, Vincenzo Bellini.

Now what all this has to do with the OP's original post is a mystery, but I do like a good stream-of-conciousness thread.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Now what all this has to do with the OP's original post is a mystery, but I do like a good stream-of-conciousness thread.

How about a sleep-walking mad scene?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

It's not just the Met, just at Lincoln Center there are several other venues that host fully and semi staged performances, including Charpentier who I doubt has ever been performed in Texas

Charpentier has been performed at least in Houston, says a quick Google.

And the National Opera Association's Opera Journal is published out of West Texas A&M. So it's a hotbed down there among the arroyos, who knew?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'd extend an offer as a native guide for any CA member coming to the big apple for an audio related cultural experience.........at least some descent places to eat! Lol

If they want to go to the most precise concert hall, take them to Alice Tully. If they want to hear the next generation of world class musicians, take them to the Peter Sharp Theater at Julliard.

For food, take them to Sushi Yasuda or Brushstroke. For the BBQ only Texans, take them to Morgan's Brooklyn Barbecue. Brooklyn has been stealing the best pit masters.

As they say "How do you keep them down on the farm once they've been to NYC"

Oh, that's easy. You take them to the Salt Lick Barbecue, and listen to whatever band is playing that night. All good. :)

-Paul

A band that proves the difference between most musicians and a pizza. A pizza can feed a family of 4.

Oh, that Brooklyn BBQ place, they were able to steal John Aliva, Franklin's pit master.

To Me. The High Sample Rates and 24 bit depth are more significant for the audio of Movies. With the Music, a CD Quality is more than enough to me.

Just the opposite for me. I don't have a problem with the sound Dolby Digital on over the air TV or on DVDs in movies and TV shows, despite Dolby Digital being lossly 48kHz. However for music concerts Dolby Digital sounds as bad or worse than 16/44.1kHz PCM and CDs.

My theory is because I am using more senses as there is vision in addition to audio and movies have dialog, special effects and room and outside ambiance in addition to the ambiance in the music.

For music I need at absolute minimum 24/48kHz, but prefer at least 24/88.2kHz and wish I all my PCM was 24/192 or higher or better yet 5.6MHz DSD.

In short low resolution PCM is OK for me for movies and TV but not for music. For music I need the highest resolution possible as the resulting music sounds more comfortable and analog like, more like the real thing.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

With the launch Pono, I've heard more noise about 192k than ever before. From the celebrity cheerleaders to those that say it is totally unnecessary.

Being relatively new to the HiFi game, I'm not completely jaded...yet ☺. I would like to give it try. For those that are proponents, can you recommend a favorite recording that you feel really showcases the purported advantages?

Regards,

Clay

I've heard in numerous spots that it's not necessary to go any higher than 96khz. But hey, if the mastering is good, I'm fine with even 44.1khz.