IGNORED

Router and Ethernet Switch suggestions

Hi - if anyone is interested,  I took my metal cased Netgear 8 port GBE switch apart and added a ground wire to one of the screws that connects the PCB ground plane to that of the metal chassis. I have been connecting and disconnecting to the mains ground during a track and cannot hear a difference. 

Interestingly if I touch this ground wire rapidly on the downstream spdif metal barreled cable from my streamer to the DAC I can get a tiny click sometimes so while the barrel is not ground, and likely is introducing some minor Dc current it has an effect. 

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

BTW. How are you powering your Netgear switch? If it works with 5v you should try to connect a simple powerbank and power it with the AC charger disconnected while listening to music. 

Hi - the Netgear is 12V 1A and I have swapped the original smps PSU for an older heavy linear PSU in a wall plug from an older Netgear switch I had. I also tested it fine at 9V from my IFI supply that is powering my MicroRendu. 

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

What did you think about the mR+iFi combo powering the Netgear switch?

IME powering all network devices with a floating ac mains connection (batterypack disconnected from ac mains, floating psu or psu connected to a IT with floating secondary) is hugely beneficial for sq when listening to cloud content (ex.Tidal) where all the music bits are passing through router/wireless brigdes/network switch etc.

mR+iFi is not completely floating relatively to the safety ground (unless connected to a floating IT), but the combo should be close enough to make a very noticable difference IMO.

BTW. If you are interested. Here is an idea for a grounding experiment that I will perform as soon as the AQVOX switch and all the parts have arrived! :)

Hi - I have not been able (nor will I easily) to use a battery pack for the router etc. I am doing testing today. My main focus is to evaluate the signal chain between my Rendu and Sonos streamer. The fact they sound so close to one another just means that something isn't right.. Whether its the resolving ability of my amp. But for sure.. With the difference this small, whats the point of Mac + Roon + IFI + Rendu vs plain old Sonos ZP80. 

I love to tweak, and willing to try things. But I evaluate on value for money and right now the Rendu chain isn't earning its keep. Which is odd! The main reason I would keep it is for streaming hires and also MQA.

I will try the IFI vs linear walmart 12v PSU for the switch. I will try the grounding cable (only to mains ground). I will try ethernet switch vs internet router (ethernet ports on each).. 

I have torn apart my HiFi install and brought my Mac mini to the same system removing the mains ethernet power line adapters from the signal chain.. Good experiment day and evening..