IGNORED

No idea...but could the Olive One play DSD via DoP?

Hi folks.

I have no idea, but now that several DAC's allow Dop DSD via SPDIF and the like (my Reslabs Invicta has just allowed this).. if the Olive One will be DLNA certified and we know MinimServer should serve to it, and we know MinimServer is OK serving Dsf and Dff files...would the Olive One theoretically do DSD via DoP out via SPDIF...given this stream is bypassing the DAC?

Just wondering//

You know me... always curious.. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hi folks.

I have no idea, but now that several DAC's allow Dop DSD via SPDIF and the like (my Reslabs Invicta has just allowed this).. if the Olive One will be DLNA certified and we know MinimServer should serve to it, and we know MinimServer is OK serving Dsf and Dff files...would the Olive One theoretically do DSD via DoP out via SPDIF...given this stream is bypassing the DAC?

Just wondering//

You know me... always curious.. :)

It should yes ... that is the idea behind DoP that the transport mechanism doesn't have to support DSD - all it needs is to be able to pass a bit perfect PCM signal (at 176.4 for DSD and double that for DSD128).

Eloiose

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for that thread link!

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about..

When I get some time I'll try this via my Linn Majik DSi...into the Invicta...

But I need to put on the new beta on the Invicta

Has anybody else tried this with other uPnP streamers and DoP via SPDIF DSD capable Dac's?

This is *very* encouraging..because as far as I can tell, that Olive One looks like a darn good little 4 room multiroom setup...

That is if one can get there hands on it to try it!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Come to think of it..

I wonder if Sonos could pass these files?

I can't recall, but can Sonos handle 176.4? It would need to be 16 bit...

edit. I think the answer to this is "no" :)

^ Are you saying these are capable of DSD via Dop?

Ok..then by the same logic the Live One will as well....?

I should think so (assuming by 'Live One' you mean 'Olive One'), but didn't we arrive at this conclusion earlier, starting with Eloise's post (#2)?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I should think so (assuming by 'Live One' you mean 'Olive One'), but didn't we arrive at this conclusion earlier, starting with Eloise's post (#2)?

Yep Olive One..Sure. I understood Eloise's post.. but how?

How and where would the "packaging" of the DSD file occur into a PCM format?

Lets say for argument sake once can browse onto MinimServer from the Olive One GUI... (This should be compatible becasue we are told the One is uPnP compatible..)

And lets say one connects the digital SPDIF out from the One to a "DOP enabled" SPDIF input of a DSD DAC...

When you hit "play" on the Olive One.. what does the DoP "packaging"

Maybe I'm daft but??? hhahahha

Ah, sorry Wap, I thought you were familiar with MinimServer's transcoding abilities wrt DoP, via its MinimStreamer optional extension. It "packages" the DSD file into a WAV file on the fly while streaming, with its dopwav output setting, see MinimStreamer's users guide:

http://minimstreamer.com/userguide.html#Transcoding

Presumably the Olive supports DLNA & can access MinimServer. If so, with the appropriate MinimStreamer settings, any DSD file on MinimServer will appear to the Olive as a WAV file and be able to stream the DSD packaged WAV file as if it were a standard WAV file.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Ok! Cool. I forgot that MinimServer setting. Now I get it ! LOL!