IGNORED

New Dirac series from minidsp

I'm "resurrecting" this thread since I'm now contemplating the idea of buying a minidsp DDRC-22A.

I did some trial a few months ago with Dirac Live on Mac (trial version) using the "beta" plugin provided by Dirac for Audirvana and I was very very pleased by the results.

I ended up not buying Dirac simply because I did not want to tie myself to having a Mac in my chain.

A couple of questions:

1) will I be able to load the filters I created with Dirac Live on Mac onto the mini-dsp?

2) did anybody experimented with the "analog" in-out version of mini-dsp? Should I expect the result to be comparable to what I was having on the mac, despite the additional AD-DA conversion taking place in miniDSP 22A?

The reason I'm thinking about this version is because the 22A would be inserted between the DAC out and the AMP and therefore will always integrate in my chain, irrespective of possible future changes to either the digital conversion part (DAC) or the analog part (AMP).

Thanks for any feedback.

Franz

Hi Franz,

I don't see a necessity for a DDRC22A if you have a DAC and you have digital sources only... if that is the case why not a DDRC22D before your DAC?

In any case with all DDRC22s you will receive a dedicated version of the DLCT (Dirac Live Calibration Tool) that you trialed already... it is used to upload your filters to the DDRC22 that replaces the DAP but it behaves in the same way (so you'll initially need a Mac/PC for the measurements and filters creation)

By the way I think it can load .drpj projects created by the standalone version if 192 KHz filters have not been used but I cannot guarantee it... anyhow you don't need that, you can create your projects as usual with the dedicated miniDSP's DLCT version.

:) Flavio

P.S. I also think that you can switch your license from Mac to PC or viceversa as with the standalone version... but I'm not sure so if necessary please check with miniDSP

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hi Franz,

I don't see a necessity for a DDRC22A if you have a DAC and you have digital sources only... if that is the case why not a DDRC22D before your DAC?

In any case with all DDRC22s you will receive a dedicated version of the DLCT (Dirac Live Calibration Tool) that you trialed already... it is used to upload your filters to the DDRC22 that replaces the DAP but it behaves in the same way (so you'll initially need a Mac/PC for the measurements and filters creation)

By the way I think it can load .drpj projects created by the standalone version if 192 KHz filters have not been used but I cannot guarantee it... anyhow you don't need that, you can create your projects as usual with the dedicated miniDSP's DLCT version.

:) Flavio

P.S. I also think that you can switch your license from Mac to PC or viceversa as with the standalone version... but I'm not sure so if necessary please check with miniDSP

Flavio thanks for the info.

The biggest limitation (for me) of the DDRC22x digital products is that they miss a USB input.

Therefore I'm now inclined to wait for the release of the MiniDSP 2x4 HD/DL box.