IGNORED

HDTT Starts Multichannel DSD & FLAC Downloads Section

I do some beta testing for HDTT and was very impressed with the sound quality of the first piano album 'Himalaya Series 1' which is actually just a set of some of the great classical pieces, relatively quiet and not banging stuff. Bob sent me both the stereo and mch versions and I definitely like the sense of space in my 5.1 system of the mch. The album itself is 4.0. Download was quite easy for me. I don't know of (m)any others that are doing multichannel DSD downloads. Bob seems to be on the cutting edge for public downloads. David Robinson of Positive Feedback also had some nice comments.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I do some beta testing for HDTT and was very impressed with the sound quality of the first piano album 'Himalaya Series 1' which is actually just a set of some of the great classical pieces, relatively quiet and not banging stuff. Bob sent me both the stereo and mch versions and I definitely like the sense of space in my 5.1 system of the mch. The album itself is 4.0. Download was quite easy for me. I don't know of (m)any others that are doing multichannel DSD downloads. Bob seems to be on the cutting edge for public downloads. David Robinson of Positive Feedback also had some nice comments.

Larry

There are 7 Multichannel DSD Download sites so far: Native DSD, Channel Classics, PentaTone, David Elias, Cybele, HD Klassik and HDTT. 2L offers Multichannel DXD files as well.

On the Himalaya Series 1 album, I checked the reviews on SA-CD.net - Recent Additions and Amazon. They are widely divergent when it comes to the piano playing on the album. People seem to love it or hate it, with little middle ground.

Thanks for the info on the Multichannel sites. I also looked at the reviews of the Himalaya on online and saw the mixed reviews. The pianist is definitely not a virtuoso like Volodos, Kissin, Yuja Wang or Lang Lang. I think the program reflects both his taste and his abilities. I probably would have preferred some more virtuosity, but listening to the album was fine and my comments are really less on the pianist's abilities than the sonics, particularly the mch version.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Thanks for the info on the Multichannel sites. I also looked at the reviews of the Himalaya on online and saw the mixed reviews. The pianist is definitely not a virtuoso like Volodos, Kissin, Yuja Wang or Lang Lang. I think the program reflects both his taste and his abilities. I probably would have preferred some more virtuosity, but listening to the album was fine and my comments are really less on the pianist's abilities than the sonics, particularly the mch version.

Larry

Thanks for the comments. I'm on the fence on this one.

I haven't liked any of the downloads I've bought from them. The transfers sound hollow. A bad EQ job?

The ones I have are:

Schmitt: Tragedy of Salome - Martinon (the crappy Angel Lp I have has a better tonal balance)

Brhams: Symphony 3 - Steinberg (the old MCA CD is more listenable)

Schumann: Symphony 1 - Munch (this is from an HDTT DVD a friend gave me. Well, dumped on me, it seems.)

A hi-rez sampling of a poor tape transfer is still a poor tape transfer.