IGNORED

Performance of older Audio Alchemy DAC 01?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of adding a second Apple TV to my overall system. The first is already used in another room, synching and streaming from my brand new Lepard Mac Mini/Western Digital - Lacie HDs combo.

The second Apple TV I am going to use as a music server in my Naim Nait / Paradigm set up. I have an older Audio Alchemy DAC01 D-to-A converter that has never been used before. Will the AA work with the Apple TV? Any thoughts on the sound quality level I should expect (or not expect) with this D-to-A unit? I know it was highly thought of in audio circles as a lower budget model back in the day.

Thanks for any input.

d

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com

If the Audio Alchemy DAC has an optical SPDIF (TOSLINK) connector then it will work. If only has a coax cable them you'll need a Optical to Coax adaptor - UK price around £15 from Maplins.

As for quality ... really it's a case of try it and see if you're happy.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I plugged a moden day dvd via spdif rca into it and it worked. If I remember the test it made the cd in the dvd sound more layed back. I cant say much else besuase it was a quick test to sell on e-bay. I can tell you people fought over it and it sold for big bucks. It was the best in the series with remote and had another matching dither unit. It was one dde and dti...I think. Not sure if they are any good still for today. Maybe Steve can pitch in. Also, they are still in bussiness www.alchemy2.com shoot Peter an e-mail.

wiki has some info as well on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Alchemy

and for kicks check out this guys house: this guy trips me out!

http://www.trygve.com/stereo.html

heheheh

JR

It does have TOSLINK output. I connected via TOSLINK to the Apple TV and OH MY GOSH!!! The output volume increase...I don't know...at least doubled (my estimation). My Naim Nait (original) and Paradigm Atoms v.6 never sounded so good. Unbelievable and my entire music library is all easily accessible from my iPod Touch with the Remote App.

Seriously. This is outstanding. I don't know how such an increase in output is possible with a DAC and TOSLINK but it is. This is awesome.

hifisoup[br]Mac Mini 10.5.7; Samsung P2370 display; iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 (2) ?TV; iTunes; ipod Touch w/remote app;[br]Lacie 250GB HD & Western Digital 1TB HD;[br]Naim Nait; Linn LP12/Basik/Grado; Paradigm Atoms v.6;[br]Meg\'s Daily Grind Coffee www.megs-daily-grind.com