IGNORED

Help me spend $1500

If you've already decided on getting the laptop as your playing device with external DAC, I'd opt for using the excellent free Foobar2000 player software rather than JRiver. If you also install the free foo_UPnP plugin component, you'll turn the laptop into a full blown UPnP/DLNA renderer. For media library duties, the excellent free Minimserver UPnP/DLNA server application can be installed on the laptop. MinimServer can be used on many NASs, should you in the future decide to move the media library processing away from the laptop and have it purely just as a music playing device.

You can now run any UPnP/DLNA control point application on the tablet (or any other device on the network) to control the playback. The excellent Android BubbleUPnP app defintely works in the latest beta release of Bluestacks. However there are decent 'native' Windows UPnP control point applications, such as Kinsky.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Ok so scrap the Lenovo idea I guess since a LT is so cheap and stand alone.

Can someone direct me to a decent but CHEAP windows 8.1 LT option? Only really want it to be a good music server. Can use an external HDD. Would love a SPDIF out.

Can u build or buy a purpose built LT for audio serving?