IGNORED

Help me spend $1500

Hi all! New to the site and happy to make my first post.

From reading I get bits and pieces, but want to ask for advice directly.

I'm looking for a new source to feed > Odyssey Candela Pre > Odyssey Mono Extremes > Martin Logan Ascent i's.

Previously I was using Logitech Touch > Cambridge Audio DACMagic. However I sold my front end.

I would really like to use a Tablet so I can surf, play games, load with magazines an take on business trips.

If budget allows I'd like a Surface Pro 2 with JRMC > Schiit Bifrost. I think I could simply connect the Surface to a USB HUB which would be connected to an external HD and the DAC.

Will this work?

Is the Surface the best bet, because the ASUS T100 a lot cheaper.

And is the Bifrost still viewed well? Because I keep hearing good things about the ifi products.

Please advise.

Thanks, Bob

Welcome Bob. Many of us here use a dedicated server/PC controlled by a tablet for our front ends. This way the tablet is untethered and allows you to surf the web, read, whatever...all while listening to great music. My secondary system is a repurposed laptop controlled by an iPad mini......all for less than $500 including software.

Welcome Bob. Many of us here use a dedicated server/PC controlled by a tablet for our front ends. This way the tablet is untethered and allows you to surf the web, read, whatever...all while listening to great music. My secondary system is a repurposed laptop controlled by an iPad mini......all for less than $500 including software.

Is the advantage of this:

1. PC's are cheap and you get a large harddrive?

2. Can get by with a lesser tablet?

But then don't I need to connect a monitor and keyboard?

Hardware suggestions?

(BTW, typing on this site is buggy. Every few keystrokes are missed for some reason.)

Honestly one of the best upgrades for the price is a cheap computer (relatively speaking) and Windows 2012 + AO. I think this will give you the biggest advance in sound quality. Since you already are using JRMC, you're basically set. I'm not sure if you can make Win2k12r2 work on a surface (never tried it), but this would be a great way to give you a very nice boost.

Your Odyssey equipment is fine. The Bifrost is good as well (though maybe doing the upgrade to it....)!?!? I'd recommend a DAC for you, but honestly you're going to blow all that $1500 and you will get benefit...but I think you'd be surprised how good the Schiit Dacs are overall.

So what are the downsides of using a tablet directly into the DAC? (provided I can connect an external HDD via USB hub)

That it's tethered to the system by a cable AND if you do plan to work or play in it while listening to music, you may encounter system noises from CPU functions.

I use my iPhone with the remote app all the time. Works great. I think there's a JRemote app for the iPhone as well.

Thanks.

So, just so I'm straight. Get a cheap PC running JRMC, then...

What software is needed on a Surface (have a Surface 1 with RT) or an iPhone to control JRMC on the PC remotely?

Cheap PC runs JRMC along with media library server.

An iphone or ipad can use the jremote app to conenct to the library on your PC via wifi to control playback. Likewise on an android device you can use the gizmo app to do the same thing.

Not sure how it would work on the surface, unaware of any app, though you may be able to just install jriver right onto it and browse the PC library right from the surface through the actual jriver app. Multiple Jriver installs across all the PCs on a network can integrate with each other.

Yeah, I think I could just install JRMC to any windows 8.1 tablet and go for it. Yes, I'd have a long USB connection but wouldn't have to buy another PC. I could probably use the remote iPhone app to control the Surface....would be cool. I just wonder about the USB hub since there is only one connection on the tablet. Hmmm

Yeah, I think I could just install JRMC to any windows 8.1 tablet and go for it. Yes, I'd have a long USB connection but wouldn't have to buy another PC. I could probably use the remote iPhone app to control the Surface....would be cool. I just wonder about the USB hub since there is only one connection on the tablet. Hmmm

With a hub, it could be done. If you're controlling it remotely, why the long USB connection?

I'd need the long USB when I want to hold the tablet and surf, read, game, etc. One of my goals when I got rid of my Logitech Touch was to "declutter", so adding a small PC feels counter productive.

Just wish the Surface Pro 2 was cheaper.

Does your tablet have an sd card slot? That might be a way to go depending on how large your music library is. SD cards have quite a bit of capacity these days.

Chris

Looks like several tablets (Surface and ASUS T100) come with a microSD slot.

Speaking of those units: can anyone help me justify the extra cost of a Surface...or confirm satisfactory use of a T100 as a media source?

I'd need the long USB when I want to hold the tablet and surf, read, game, etc. One of my goals when I got rid of my Logitech Touch was to "declutter", so adding a small PC feels counter productive.

Just wish the Surface Pro 2 was cheaper.

Why not go back to network streaming and just get a UPnP/DLNA streamer/renderer with decent built-in DAC instead of a computer with tethered USB DAC. Will 'free' your tablet (as it will only need to run the UPnP/DLNA controller) and you could get away with a cheapo Android one (within reason). Use the computer (or a NAS) on the network for the files and the UPnP/DLNA server music library.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Why not go back to network streaming and just get a UPnP/DLNA streamer/renderer with decent built-in DAC instead of a computer with tethered USB DAC. Will 'free' your tablet (as it will only need to run the UPnP/DLNA controller) and you could get away with a cheapo Android one (within reason). Use the computer (or a NAS) on the network for the files and the UPnP/DLNA server music library.

Please dumb it down for me. What is a "UPnP/DLNA streamer/renderer"? Can you please point me toward a specific device?

Sure, it's a similar device to the Squeezebox Touch in that it can play music files over the network, from a music server. However, instead of using Logitech's proprietary system to stream the files, it uses industry standard UPnP/DLNA protocols, more details of which can be found in this decent guide in the CA Academy:

Computer Audiophile - The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

CA reviews of some (high end) examples of UPnP/DLNA network audio players/streamers/renderers:

Computer Audiophile - UPnP / DLNA

A more comprehensive list can be found on the excellent Well-Tempered Computer site (note includes some non UPnP/DLNA devices):

The Well-Tempered Computer - Streaming audio players

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Which ideacentre?

Q190 with 1 TB HDD. I like how there is a SPDIF out.

Look like I can get one for <$400. Would like to use JRMC on the PC and JRMC remote app from a windows 8.1 tablet, but it looks like the JRMC remote app is Android. So how can I install Android apps on a Window 8.1 tablet? Looks like there is a workaround from Bluestacks. Is this the best way?