IGNORED

The Importance Of Speaker Positioning

...as far as reflections being nearly time coherent, it can't be unless the reflection and the direct sound emanate from the same place. By their nature, reflections will take a longer path than the direct sound, hence they'll arrive later. Again, one may like the resulting color but it is something added to the sound contained in the recording...

Thanks Barry. Absolutely, it's a color that is an echo, and isn't exactly time coherent even if one ignores the delay (except for a fully coaxial speaker), but that slap echo still doesn't mess up the cues from the direct radiation enough to blur the main images, IME. But other spatial cues do suffer: I know my sound would improve a lot with careful treatment. I agree with all your points, nice to hear from another isoscelesophile :)

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

....the distance I had "intuited" and am using were the exact same to the 100th of an inch...

Hey Richard, not surprised you have a fine room.....nice job intuitin' !! Anyway, you'll have to let us know how important was making that one liiiiiitle correction... :)

In church music, a personal favorite is "Old One Hundreth" !

Cheers, Sam

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Hey Richard, not surprised you have a fine room.....nice job intuitin' !! Anyway, you'll have to let us know how important was making that one liiiiiitle correction... :)

In church music, a personal favorite is "Old One Hundreth" !

Cheers, Sam

Hello Sam,

How I arrived at 7.69' is more than a little vague as I arrived at the distance some three years ago.

For me the synchronicity of arriving at a measurement so precise that an independent person, Art Noxon's assistant, who drew up the proposed plans for the rooms' treatment also arrived at had us laughing. If I used the law of thirds, 22' divided by 3 equals 7.3333. I also placed the JL F112s next to the outside of each KEF Reference 107. I then began fine tuning the position of each speakers which I based on nothing more than an intuition. I then measured and re-measured and re-measured. Arriving at the feeling that I had done enough subjective moving. I used my digital laser measuring device I had purchased based on either Art Noxon or Jim Smith's suggestion. The device measured 7.69 for the right main speaker. I measured the left and tweaked it until the laser read 7.69'.

What about 7.69'? I hadn't a clue. It was just the measurement at which I felt I should stop futzing with speakers. Intuition? Yes! But based on nothing other than a feeling. On the phone with Art's assistant discussing Art's proposed plans for room treatment which would have been a considerable project, Michael, I believe his name is, read the relative positions to me that they had come up with. When he read the number for the speaker distance from the back wall and I heard him say "7.69'", I thought it was some kind of joke. I expressed my surprise at the coincidence of measurements. There are no coincidences in my model of the world.

We both started laughing at the mysterious synchronicity. Or in my view, my folly of placement arrived at that was then being recited to me by Art Noxon's assistant based on something more precise. I imagined. I did not even bother to ask him how he arrived at that measurement. The synchronity of the Matching measurement was magical. I did not care. I have not moved the speakers since. My KEF Reference 107's mid and tweeter are on a head that can be swiveled without needing to toe in the body of the speaker. I have changed the direction of the head to the left and to the right and straight. I continued to go back to directing the head to the position of pointing straight. They just sounded better. Subtle and better. if I changed the head direction, eventually, I set them back to pointing straight.

I am crazy enough without engaging in continuing to micro manage the head direction or speaker body placement. One one-hundredth this way that way. It became a matter of trust. I am not familiar with Old One Hundredth! And what it signifies. But I am open to embracing a matter of trust and enjoy the music. I never followed through with the recommendations for structural changes to my room. Amarra Symphony's iRC has helped. It is good enough. 100%!

Enjoying the magic,

Richard

Richard, thank you, what a fine story! And a fellow no-toe-in traveler as well! I too have found synchronicity on many occasions, though never tried to prove it, the magic would be gone.

Old One Hundredth is music, a Psalm, several hymns, and is used in the Doxology of the Anglican and Episcopal Churches and several other protestant denominations. I heard it every Sunday in my youth; it's a beautiful melody, well suited for organ. It is often heard often on big occasions:

Background and Lyrics:

Old 100th - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All People That on Earth Do Dwell

Blessings, Sam

Richard, thank you, what a fine story! And a fellow no-toe-in traveler as well! I too have found synchronicity on many occasions, though never tried to prove it, the magic would be gone.

Old One Hundredth is music, a Psalm, several hymns, and is used in the Doxology of the Anglican and Episcopal Churches and several other protestant denominations. I heard it every Sunday in my youth; it's a beautiful melody, well suited for organ. It is often heard often on big occasions:

Background and Lyrics:

Old 100th - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All People That on Earth Do Dwell

Blessings, Sam

Thank you, Sam, for the information. I happen to be a fan ? of Vaughan Williams.

Agreed about the intrinsic Nature of Magic and futility of proving it. That does mean I dismiss formal research based on objective criteria. They co-exist for me. Information is resource. And resource is power. In my model of the world, Medicine, Magic and Miracles is my poetic take on setting highly valuable criteria (outcomes), following through to accomplish those outcomes by talking action and accomplishing that (those) outcomes and reproducing the results.

I love the (what I imagine) metaphor or the idea of Old One Hundredth and what I conjure it could also connote.

Thank you for this!

Enjoy the music,

Richard