IGNORED

Mahler- Symphony No. 1 (Fischer/Channel Classics)

Decided to download this as I'm not very well acquainted with Mahler or many large-scale classical works. This for the 24bit/96kHz edition, but there are also 24/192 and DSD editions (stereo and multichannel) available from Channel Classics. Absolutely superb quality!

foobar2000 1.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2013-12-06 13:53:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Budapest Festival Orchestra / Mahler Symphony no. 1 in D major

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR19 -0.06 dB -25.70 dB 16:37 01-Mahler Symphony no. 1 - Langsam. Schleppend

DR15 -0.90 dB -22.91 dB 8:03 02-Mahler Symphony no. 1 - Kr#ftig bewegt

DR16 -11.12 dB -33.31 dB 10:50 03-Mahler Symphony no. 1 - Feierlich und gemessen

DR15 0.00 dB -20.91 dB 20:16 04-Mahler Symphony no. 1 - Stu?rmisch bewegt

Number of tracks: 4

Official DR value: DR16

Samplerate: 96000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 2662 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Whoa, DR19!

I agree, this is a great recording, actually I just recommended it in another thread. Plus, it is one of those rather rare occasions where outstanding sound quality meets a really good interpretation.

This is one of the albums I'd really like to hear on a good DSD dac at some point.

• 5 weeks later...

+1 purchased 192 khz version and it beats my LSO version of Mahler's No 1. I need to turn the volume up a bit more match levels with the LSO version, but once volume matched this becomes my new go to version.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

The DSD download is very nice!

The only complaint is that it is .DFF, not .DSF so it doesn't "hold" metadata. Once I converted the envelope to .DSF and added the needed tagging, it was a very nice addition to the Mahler 1st collection (Thomas/SFO and NYP/Bernstein, both DSD).

Thank you for the suggestion (and on sale right now, too!).

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

The DSD download is very nice!

The only complaint is that it is .DFF, not .DSF so it doesn't "hold" metadata. Once I converted the envelope to .DSF and added the needed tagging, it was a very nice addition to the Mahler 1st collection (Thomas/SFO and NYP/Bernstein, both DSD).

Thank you for the suggestion (and on sale right now, too!).

Best,

John

I haven't bought from there yet, but the new NativeDSD.com site will have all the Channel Classics content (including all the Mahler symphonies they've released to date) in DSF format, with up-to-date tagging, etc. Should be nice :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system