IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Thanks a lot for your feedback dr.mike! :)

A few days ago Windows Server 2016 was finally released. AO beta 4 already had support for the RTM included since 6 weeks, and with the official release of Server 2016 Microsoft now also offers an Evaluation version of it -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016 Beta 5 now supports all Evaluation versions of Windows Server 2016. (TP5 is no longer supported.)

Windows 10 also got a big update, the so called Anniversary Update (Build 1067). As often a few things needed to be adjusted, so Beta 5 now also offers support for Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Please see Change log here:

Version 2.10 Beta 5

version info removed (by me) to make this shorter)

All current AO 2.00 customers can download Beta 5 via our download portal found here: https://www.highend-audiopc.com/download

Enjoy it,

Phil

THIS is the kind of service and attention to detail that Phil (AudioPhil) brings to the table with Audiophile Optimizer (AO).

I have a home recording studio that I've been working on for about a year and a half now. I started this adventure by researching various audio improvement related products; room acoustic treatments, studio monitor and subwoofer isolation pads and spikes, high quality balanced cables, Fidelizer Pro, Audiophile Optimizer, etc., and audiophile music player software. All this was back when I was initially dialing in my studio system and trying to get a better, more detailed and uncolored sound. Don't get me wrong. It sounded very good from the minute I powered it up. But 'very good' is NEVER good enough for me. I want GREAT!

So, I started reading various threads on this and other forums. I tried the 'script' offered here, but it either didn't do enough or didn't provide what I wanted and/or expected. It's okay, but I wasn't willing to settle for 'just okay.' Again, I wanted GREAT!

I am a retired software developer who started working in the computer industry in 1975. If I wanted a 'script,' I'd write my own and if I wanted to spend the time and energy, I could also develop my own version of Fidelizer, AO or anything else I'd ever need or want. That's not gonna happen. I'd rather spend my time PLAYING! ... playing instruments and recording music ... than spend another minute writing code I'm NOT getting paid to write! We all have our priorities and these days, work is NOT one of mine.

At any rate, I came across some of Phil's posts on this forum, went to his website, read a bunch of the reviews posted on various sites across the Internet and decided to purchase a license for AO. First though, I started emailing Phil the many, MANY questions I had about AO, what my desires and expectations were, my hardware configuration, my listening environment (WAY too many questions to list here) and from that very first email, the responses I got from Phil were clear, concise, directly to the point and nearly instantaneous. It seems that Phil NEVER SLEEPS!

After MANY email conversations with Phil, I was convinced that AO was worth trying, so I purchased a license. I also purchased a pair of SSDs and Windows Server 2012 R2; one SSD to run the OS and AO in GUI mode (for recording purposes) and the other SSD for the OS and AO running in 'core' mode, for music playback only. I can boot to either SSD whenever I want, so it's very convenient and that setup has worked flawlessly and provides jaw-dropping audio performance, the likes of which I've never heard before.

I should probably mention too that when I lived on Oahu, HI, I was in the US Navy and was stationed on a ship in Pearl Harbor. I have a cousin who built a professional recording studio (as a business) in Kaneohe, where I lived when my ship was NOT deployed. I spent a LOT of time in that studio, listening and learning, and it had a BIG impact on my future as an audiophile.

As a reference, the last 'big' home audio system I purchased was back in the 2001/2002 time frame. I spent a cool $30K (US) and had what I and most other audiophiles considered to be top-of-the-line hardware and performance, but even it doesn't compare to my studio setup running Windows Server 2012 R2 and AO 1.4. That very expensive system just didn't have the detail, the soundstage, the depth, the height, the width, the articulation, the incredible smoothness and perfect balance of frequencies or the impact of my studio system. Obviously, there were no 24-bit/192Khz recordings back then, but neither is/was it possible to even play then on that system if they did exist. Now, when people come over and sit in my studio and listen to music, their jaws drop and they just can't believe what they're hearing. On many occasions I've heard the comment, "It's like listening to music for the very first time!"

I felt the same way the first time I ran my studio system in core mode and with all the 'extreme performance' settings in AO enabled. My jaw dropped too and even now (nearly a year later) when I listen to it, I feel the exact same level of surprise, excitement and awe at how incredible it sounds, especially if it's been a week or more since my last session. If I close my eyes, it's like sitting in front of the band or artist at a live performance. Sounds just pop out of my studio monitors with total realism; the clarity and depth of every pluck of an acoustic guitar string, the impact of a snare drum, the deep and totally controlled bass lines, gorgeous acoustic piano solos and recorded background sounds (musicians breathing, shuffling their feet, etc.) I didn't even know were there. To say that it is 'revealing' is an understatement in the extreme.

I could really care less about ANY of the negative comments I've read, what other's opinions might be or what anyone personally thinks about Phil's Audiophile Optimizer software. Unless you actually PURCHASE it, learn to use it and dial it in for YOUR system, you have no idea what you're missing. If you're just making assumptions based on what you THINK you know, you know nothing about AO, and criticizing something you know nothing about just shows how little you really know about AO.

Sure, we ALL want something for nothing, and if you're willing to live with the limitations of the 'script' or any other free stuff, go for it. Just don't expect the same level of performance, the simplicity or the ease of use you get with AO. You get what you pay for and with AO, you get a LOT more than just software; you get Phil too and a level of knowledge and support that's unmatched in the industry.

I've been very busy with an ongoing and major remodel in my home for the past few months, but last night I emailed Phil a few questions about AO 2.0, which he responded to within a couple of minutes. After reading his reply, I pulled the trigger and purchased the upgrade to AO 2.0. I need to purchase another SSD to install it on, along with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (to test and experiment with), but I suspect that given the improvements to 2.0 over 1.4, it'll only be temporary and that I'll be switching to 2.0 full time in VERY short order. Everything I've read about it (2.0) tells me that once again, Phil has an even BIGGER winner than his earlier versions were, and that's GREAT news for me and my studio!

My dearly departed father told me at every opportunity or whenever I was bitching and moaning about the cost of something, "As is the case with MOST things in life, you get what you pay for." That absolutely applies to Audiophile Optimizer. If you're serious about music playback and you're willing to part with a few bucks, I HIGHLY recommend AO. It's WORTH EVERY PENNY and when you throw in Phil's seemingly limitless knowledge and great support, it's a bargain at ANY price!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT now nor have I ever been affiliated in any way, shape or form with the Audiophile Optimizer product, with highend-audiopc.com or any of its affiliates. Neither am I related to, associated with (other than as a customer) or affiliated with AudioPhil (Phil) or any of his entities.

I AM a PAYING CUSTOMER and full-time user of 'Audiophile Optimizer' software.

I agree with your 'best bang for the buck' assessment of AO. Obviously, I've spent a lot more on many other products. Cables alone were a BIG expense, not to mention the DI/Mixer (Digital Interface), high-end DAC, studio monitors, microphones ... the list goes on and on. In terms of immediate and obvious results and instant gratification though, Audiophile Optimizer wins hands down, although (for me) JRiver Media Center is right up there too. I haven't tried HQPlayer yet, although my DAC (TEAC UD-503) is on the list of supported hardware. I'll check it out soon.

Thanks for posting, clipper!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Folks

USB Audio 2.00 Architecture is coming to Windows 10. That's great news indeed, it means we will no longer need DAC/DDC drivers from manufacturers.

Hopefully this will find its way into Windows Server 2016 as well. that would greatly help to resolve all driver installation issues since those manufacturer drivers would just no longer be needed.

See more: https://www.petri.com/native-usb-audio-2-0-coming-windows-10?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Petri+%28Petri+IT+Knowledgebase%29

Best,

Phil

That's great news! Thanks for the info, Phil. On the subject of 24-bit/192KHz sample rates, the author (Russell Smith) of the article you linked to stated ---

"Although support for high sample rates is not common in consumer tech right now ..."

Really? On who's planet?! My CONSUMER grade LG VG10 cell phone supports 24-bit/192KHz and my CONSUMER grade TEAC UD-503 supports up to 32-bit/384KHz and up to 11.2MHz DSD, all via USB. For that matter, I have at LEAST two other DACs and several sound cards, along with a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sitting in a box out in my garage, that ALL support 24-bit/192KHz. I purchased the SB Audigy 2 back in 2002/2003 time frame.

The availability of source material encoded at 24-bit/192KHz was pretty scarce back then (maybe non-existent?), but the capability to decode it wasn't uncommon at all and has been VERY common for many years now.

Am I missing something or just not interpreting his statement correctly? What do you suppose he REALLY means by 'consumer tech'?

Big AL

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has turned into a really interesting post with lots of great info, suggestions and observations. This IS one of the best things about AO; our HUGE and active community of users who never tire of their quest for audio nirvana. ALL of you are one of the main reasons I started using AO and I hope you all know how much you add to the entire AO experience. Without YOU (and obviously, Phil), AO just wouldn't have the same appeal that it has WITH you! 

I have a question for those of you this pertains to, and for Phil as well. I have a somewhat involved setup so please bear with me when I start explaining how I use AO. My question is; 

From a sound quality perspective, how does Windows Server 2016 running in Core mode compare to Windows Server 2012 R2 running in Core mode? 

So far, I have two instances of Windows Server 2012 R2 running AO (last version of 1.4) and one instance of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit running AO 2.20 B4. Of the two Server 2012 R2 instances, one is running in Core mode and the other is running in GUI/desktop mode. The Core instance is for music playback only while the GUI/desktop instance is for music recording and playback (editing, mixing, mastering, etc.) using a variety of DAW software. The Windows 10 Pro instance is for recording and playback using Avid Pro Tools v12. 

Avid Pro Tools will not run on ANY version of Windows Server. It will install, but it won't run. It (Pro Tools) is THE best DAW software on the planet and is what I was using in my studio computer prior to installing Windows Server 2012 R2 and AO. I only installed Windows 10 so I could run Pro Tools again AND AO on the same computer. Each instance of Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10 runs from a separate SSD configured in Tri-Boot on my studio computer. In other words, I can boot directly into any one of the three operating systems whenever I want to. 

For those of your who are wondering how AO running on Windows 10 compares to Windows Server 2012 R2 in core mode, there simply is no comparison. Don't get me wrong here; running AO on Windows 10 sounds GREAT, but it does not compare to AO running on Server 2012 R2 in Core mode. The difference between the two is striking and immediately apparent, but I HAVE to run Windows 10 to be able to use Pro Tools. There just isn't any way around it. I worked with Phil on this one (over a year ago) and we tried every trick in the book to get Pro Tools running under Server 2012 R2, but to no avail. It took WEEKS to finally get Avid to admit that they're somehow preventing and/or blocking it from running under Windows Server, although they wouldn't tell me WHY. That's all ancient history at this point and I've since moved on.

At any rate, I'm just wondering if anyone who is running AO under Windows Server 2016 was previously running it under Windows Server 2012 R2 and how they compared, sound-wise. Is there an obviously and immediately apparent (audio) advantage to switching to Server 2016 over 2012 R2, or is it too subtle of a difference to justify the additional expense? 

1 hour ago, thuandb said:

Coming from dual PC 2012 Core to dual PC 2016 Core, there's no going back. The SQ difference [read: improvement] is obvious from get-go, before applying AO and other optimization programs.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have room in my studio setup for another computer, nor do I really need or want another one in there. I read the same thing about Server 2012 R2 and the 'dual computer' setup, and while that's certainly an appealing option, I just don't have the space for it. 

Is it safe to assume that a single computer running 2016 core will sound better than a single computer running 2012 R2, or is that a setup you never made a sound quality comparison of? 

There is a BIOS setting called 'SpeedStep', for Intel CPUs. AMD calls it 'Cool n' Quiet'. If you force (set) that option to 'Enabled', your CPU should throttle down under idle loads. That said, I have no idea what AO might be doing to disable those features. You'll have to ask Phil that question.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a couple of dozen server roles and technologies, not to mention management capabilities and tools, that a desktop version of Windows will never have or require. It's just not in the nature of a desktop OS to provide anything more than desktop features. 

Turning off (disabling) services and scripts in Windows Server 2012 R2 is trivial. For the purposes of an 'audio file' server or player, core mode is where the REAL horsepower in 2012 R2 becomes obvious.

The fewer service an OS runs, the better the audio playback quality becomes. Minimizing background processes minimizes the load on a CPU. The lighter the load, the quieter your system will run and the quieter it runs, the better your sound quality. You can only do so much with a desktop OS, while there's very little you CAN'T do with Server 2012 R2. 

Windows Server 2012 R2 Roles and Technologies

Windows Server 2012 R2 Management and Tools

Compare the above info, which is only a fraction of what can be done with Windows Server 2012 R2, to what a desktop OS (Win7, 8.1, 8, 10) provides, and it should become intuitive obvious that there is no comparison. 

Johnseye --- Good points, one and all, but given that Phil isn't developing AO to run on Linux/UNIX, it's kind of a moot point.

I WISH Phil would port his software/scripts to Linux! Compiling a kernel (ala the FREE Debian kit) that supports ONLY the hardware you actually have in your 'box' and includes ONLY the core elements of the OS that you really want or actually need for music playback and a file system/file server, etc., would obviously be the BEST way to fly! 

I've read good things about 'AP Linux' and am about to start building a new computer to test it on. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that Phil is headed in that direction. That said, how cool would 'AO Linux' be!? VERY cool!

As they say, hope springs eternal. Maybe some day. Thanks for posting! 

• 4 months later...

Phil --- or whoever might read this and know. I have no idea if this is a common or rare issue, but I have one. I'll explain... 

I have two instances of Windows Server 2012 R2, each running on it's own SSD. One runs in GUI mode, for studio recording work, and the other one in Core mode, for music playback only. Both instances boot right up, but when I boot into the Core mode instance, I've somehow lost both keyboard and mouse control, which, for all intents and purposes, turns my computer into a rather expensive door stop. I have to force a hard boot (press and hold the power button) to get out of that instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 / AO Core mode. 

My mouse and keyboard work just fine on the AO GUI mode SSD, as they do from a third OS on a third SSD running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, which is used for everyday, goofing around stuff. It's ONLY the AO Core mode instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 that lacks keyboard and mouse control, which USED to work flawlessly. 

And NO; I did NOT change or swap out either the keyboard OR the mouse when this issue first appeared, OR switch them to different USB ports, OR change anything in the BIOS. Subsequent to the appearance of this issue, I have tried swapping them both out with spares. No difference; meaning neither works no matter which keyboard or mouse I plug in (I have several spares of each). Both (in fact ALL) of my keyboards and mice are USB, and they ALL work perfectly from any other OS and/or computer, of which I have four. 

I can access the file system on the SSD that runs Windows Server 2012 R2 and AO in Core mode from any other instance of an OS; either Windows 10 or Windows Server 2012 R2 running AO in GUI mode. I just can't do anything once I boot into the instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 running AO in Core mode. The keyboard doesn't work and the mouse doesn't work. It's kind of hard (make that impossible) to do ANYTHING from within ANY OS without keyboard and mouse control. 

This isn't really a show stopper for me, and although the non-responsive instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 running AO in Core mode is my PREFERRED music listening platform, I can still boot to either one of the other SSDs and listen to music.

Also, I just purchased Windows Server 2016, and although I hadn't planned on upgrading to it any time soon, I may HAVE to at this point, just to get AO Core mode back. I DON'T want to have to reinstall Windows Server 2012 R2 again, as I spent a LOT of time optimizing and customizing the AO Core mode instance (both the OS and AO). If I HAVE to start from scratch, I'd much rather do that with Windows Server 2016, although I don't really want to do that just yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty much at my whits (or lack thereof) end on this one and would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Big AL

5 hours ago, AudioPhil said:

Hey Big Al

Well... AO does not disable mouse and/or keyboard, that wouldn't be too smart.

Is it possible that you also use JPLAY in Hibernation mode? This would cause such a behavior as long as music is played.

Best,

AudioPhil

Hi Phil,

I wasn't (or don't think I was) implying that it was an AO issue at all. I'm just wondering if there's something I can do, via one of the other OS's (GUI mode Server 2012 R2 or Windows 10) to reset or 'fix' the Core mode installation. Maybe some file I can edit or delete to get the OS (Core mode Server 2012 R2) OUT of Core mode so that Windows 'plug 'n play' can (maybe) get my mouse and keyboard working again? 

Like I said, I'm at a loss as to what to do when I can't do anything without a working keyboard and mouse. Just taking a stab in the dark here on this one. I guess my question should have been; is there some way to revert back to standard GUI mode externally, from another OS that has access to the Server 2012 R2 Core mode file system? That SSD just appears as another drive from within one of the other two OS's running on two other SSDs. 

AL

7 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

Hello AL

What about using RDP (Remote Desktop) to control the machine over LAN? Thats what i actually do with my headless audiopc.

best,

AudioPhil

Hi Phil,

Great idea, but how do I install/configure RDP on an OS without keyboard and mouse control of that OS? RDP is disabled, since I had no use for it when it was running normally (i.e. with keyboard and mouse control). As a reminder, I did NOTHING to this computer or the instance of Windows Server 2012 R2 or AO, either physically (no devices swapped in or out, no devices switched to other USB ports, etc.) or system configuration wise; no OS or BIOS tweaks or installs or uninstalls of any software. Nothing changed, either in hardware or software. One day I had keyboard and mouse control and the next day it did not. 

To respond to your original question about JPLAY and hibernation mode, I don't even have JPlay installed and I ALWAYS disable hibernation mode on ALL my computers (laptops included). I've never trusted it and it ALWAYS and eventually screws up a system. 

Is there a file within the AO installation or within Windows Server 2012 R2 that I can either edit or delete to either force it OUT of Core mode and back into GUI mode? 

AL

50 minutes ago, AudioPhil said:

You could enable rdp via remote powershell, winrs, psexec or similar and registry edits, but thats a bit complicated to explain how exactly to do that.

have a look: http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/a/windows/archive/server-hacks-remote-desktop.html

Did you try other USB ports?

Hi Phil,

Yes, I tried other ports, both built-in and ports in an external USB 6-port hub, along with several spare keyboards and mice. No change. It's a doorstop when I boot to that SSD. 

ALL of the NON-music related roles and services (remote access, RDP, remote registry, remote desktop, HTTP, FTP, etc.) are disabled. Even the NIC is disabled. There isn't any way to remotely log into the system at all, given that it was configured for music playback ONLY and nothing else. Virtually every non-music related service and role is disabled. For all intents and purposes, it's a standalone, music player and nothing else. It's not even plugged into my LAN, since I don't really need Internet or LAN access from my studio computer, which is what it is. I have three other computers in my office I use for those and other non-music related tasks. 

It would appear that I am at the point where scrubbing the SSD and installing Windows Server 2016 is my only option. C'est la vie. Thanks for all the suggestions but, as I feared would be the case, it's time to upgrade that SSD to Server 2016. Not what I wanted to do this weekend, but obviously, it's time. 

AL

• 6 months later...