IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

I own a Mutec 3+ USB for three years, and found this thread recently and read from the beginning to the end, and have learned a few things, like the importance of LPS regarding the SQ.  Likely will do it myself some day.  I have some questions to see if any one has any insights here:

1). Internal clock speed.  What is it when we do internal reclock?  Is it a fixed value of 1GHz or can be changed by the clock-multipliers, likely in column 1 or column 2 under Clock Multipliers?
2) In the mode of internal reclock, is there any clock output from Item 1 of WCLK Out 1-2?  I recalled one person output that clock signal to Brooklyn DAC.  Wonder others have utilized these clock out.

3) Has anyone search the different options of USB cables?  I recalled reading @One and a half suggested SAEC USB over Curius USB.  Wonder anyone has other suggestions?

The digital configuration I have is NAS(Synology)-ASUS Router(AX5400)-Mac Mini(A1)-SOtm SMS-200 (NAA for HQ Player)-Mutec 3+ USB -(AES/EBU) - Metrum Onyx.  I should say Mutec 3+ USB brings the most significant (positive) impact on the entire audio system I have except the speaker, regardless of the price tag of the items. I am currently using Snake River Audio Boomslang (AES/EBU) after some intensive research with the help from The Cable Company.  Highly recommend this cable.

Very nice thread, a lot of work and valuable information for a wonderful product!

12 hours ago, zoltan said:

I have two MC3+USB changed. I tried four with a friend, three seemed to be audible but the third one with much less benefit than the second. Both MC3+USB are clocked with a Mutec Ref 10 master clock and so are my SOtM SMS-200 ultra (HQPlayer NAA) and SOtM tx-USB ultra. The MC3+USBs run on Uptone Audio JS-1 linear power supply.  All DC going through two LT3045 panels.
Curious USB between SOtM txUSB ultra and the first MC3+USB (the other USB cable is stock) 
I think digital is as good as it gets but I'd be happy to listen to anybody's ideas for improvement, especially at little cost.

Interesting to hear your comments of the functional difference between SOtM txUSB ultra and Mutec 3+ USB.  I always thought they play similar roles based on the limited readings.  Must have missed something big.  

• 4 months later...

Regarding the daisy-chain of the multiple Mutec in series, there may be another possibility, which is to connect SoTM sMS200 ultra which is with a clock, with SoTm txB-USB ultra, then followed by Mutec USB 3+.  Do I expect to experience the SQ improvement?  Not questioning the SQ improvement experienced by many through daisy-chain configurations, I am trying to understand the logic foundations behind.  Being not in this field by professional training, I am lacking the capability to form any sounding hypothesis.  

On 10/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, zoltan said:

@Mahler and Bach on Computer This is exactly what I do, I have SOtM SMS-200 ultra, tx-USB ultra, and two Mutec MC3+USB in chain. All clocked by the REF10. All make minor but audible improvements. If I was forced to removed one item, I would probably remove the txUSB ultra then the second Mutec. Reclocking a USB signal should not even matter as the protocol is asynchronous but for some reason it does. 

@hopkinsPractically all DACs, DDCs and streamers descriptions claim the same. Immune to jitter or something like that. It just doesn't seem to happen with most. It may be true or nearly true for some but very few independent measurements are out there. Also, to my understanding, a DAC, for example claims to be immune to jitter but it is very hard to measure unless you are manufacturing it or taking it apart to an extent. I don't think even professional reviewers can do that. Once the data is converted to analogue, you would not know as there is no jitter any more as it is a digital phenomenon. You can only measure input and output jitter on DCCs easily (if you have the right equipment). So we are still largely reliant on our ears regarding the end result. 

In your case, I wonder if the timing is controlled by the REF 10 due to synchronization.  However, if all three clocks are connected in sequence without REF 10, how timing is determined?

• 9 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, mitch751 said:

I received the following message from Mutec :

"

How old is your unit we don’t made a new firmware update so I think there is no need for an update. Is something not working or why you are asking for it?

Best
Tom Porcell "

Thank you, @mitch751, for contacting MUtec directly.  I don’t know the age of the unit.  I can dig into that information and talk to them directly.  I promise to post the development here to share with people here.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Dear Mutec MC-3+ USB fellow users, I have two questions about this unit.  

1). I wonder if any of you also is also using HQPlayer?  If you are using HQPlayer4Desktopp on version 4.17.X and later, do you experience the stutter when applying DSD filter, which is the problem I am experiencing in the past year.  If I used PCM as a signal output for HQPlayer4Deskyop, there is no such an issue.

2). I am searching around to find the instruction to update the firmware 1.10 but did not find any.  I recalled there was an online instruction but could not find it now.  Wonder if anyone knows where to find the instruction for Mac interphase. 

Thank you very much!