IGNORED

new desktop system

I'm looking to put together a new desktop system for my office at work. I obviously don't need the system to get too loud. I'd like to get a pair of powered or active speakers and a small headphone amp/dac. I'm leaning towards the emotiva airmotiv 4s for the speakers. The size is right (app. 10" by 6" by 7") and the price is good at $300. Any other powered/active speakers I should be considering. I'm willing to pay up to $500 for the speakers. For the headphone amp/dac, I'm leaning towards the audioengine d1 but I'll put up a separate thread in the dac section on this.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

It sounds as though you'd appreciate a nice set of monitors. I have a buddy with the Rokit 8's from KRK and they slay, although for a desktop system of your size you could get into a set of the Rokit 5's and get an interface all for under 400 if you shop wisely. I also second the Genelec recommendation if you can track down some good second hand pairs

I would recommend taking a serious look at Vanatoo:

Vanatoo active speakers: my experiences - Blogs - Computer Audiophile

These look great and I enjoyed your review but I really want a headphone amp somewhere in the system as well as this is for my work office.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

It sounds as though you'd appreciate a nice set of monitors. I have a buddy with the Rokit 8's from KRK and they slay, although for a desktop system of your size you could get into a set of the Rokit 5's and get an interface all for under 400 if you shop wisely. I also second the Genelec recommendation if you can track down some good second hand pairs

I really want to keep the costs down to $500 or so but yeah they look great (as would the focal cms 40s and adam a3x).

+1 on the emotivas also consider the new PsB alpha PS1 great velue

I'm a big fan of PSB speakers but I'm not excited about their frequency response. I think they will be lighter on the bass than I like.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying the airmotiv 4s and the audio engine D1 dac. My new gear just came in and I have it set up. I haven't totally dialed in the speakers yet but they are seriously awesome speakers particularly at the price. The dac is also good and the headphone amp is nice. I needed something with a volume pot for the speakers and I wanted the headphone amp since this is for my office at work. This is the best desktop system I've heard for under $500.