IGNORED

help with 'blip' at end of track

Hello,

I'm very new to UPnP and am only venturing into it because UPnP was added to my DAC's firmware.

This is how my UPnP setup looks like at the moment:

Win7 64bit PC > foobar2000 (with UPnPserver by bublleguuum) > Netgear R4500 (router) > Netgear WNCE4004 (wireless adapter) > Resolution Audio Cantata.

I'm using UPnPlay on my android tablet and phone.

After quite a few attempts at making things work I now am able play all my files in their native sample rate.

I'm still comparing how this setup compares to my Touch transport, but I'm also having an issue that is probably easy to fix, but if not fixed would be a deal breaker: at the end of each track I get a blip of sound before it goes to the next track. I have been able to find out that it is a very, very short piece of the track that just finished, always taken from a few seconds before the end of it.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Might be best to try and work out which device could be at fault here by a process of elimination.

Have you tried using another UPnP/DLNA server on the pc, such as the free MinimServer, or a different Android UPnP control point such as the free version of BubbleUPnP (which like the foo_UPnP foobar2000 plugin, is also by bubbleguuum), for example?

BubbleUPnP comes with its own local renderer and server, so that's 2 more alternatives to try. Also the foo_UPnP plugin comes with it's own renderer and control point, so there's another 2 to try. The good thing about the foo_UPnP's control point is that it comes with gapless support, which you can switch on/off (viaTools >UPnP > Controller > Enable gapless control), so you can test if this gets the 'blips' to disappear when using it to push the files to your DAC streamer.

I'm slightly concerned that it took you several attempts to get UPnP/DLNA steaming to work the music files in their native resolutions, as this should have been more or less automatic with the foo_UPnP server under default settings (once the media library has been configured with the location of the music files, that is) and normal use of a UPnP/DLNA control point. What did you have to do to get it to work?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Might be best to try and work out which device could be at fault here by a process of elimination.

Have you tried using another UPnP/DLNA server on the pc, such as the free MinimServer, or a different Android UPnP control point such as the free version of BubbleUPnP (which like the foo_UPnP foobar2000 plugin, is also by bubbleguuum), for example?

BubbleUPnP comes with its own local renderer and server, so that's 2 more alternatives to try. Also the foo_UPnP plugin comes with it's own renderer and control point, so there's another 2 to try. The good thing about the foo_UPnP's control point is that it comes with gapless support, which you can switch on/off (viaTools >UPnP > Controller > Enable gapless control), so you can test if this gets the 'blips' to disappear when using it to push the files to your DAC streamer.

I'm slightly concerned that it took you several attempts to get UPnP/DLNA steaming to work the music files in their native resolutions, as this should have been more or less automatic with the foo_UPnP server under default settings (once the media library has been configured with the location of the music files, that is) and normal use of a UPnP/DLNA control point. What did you have to do to get it to work?

Thanks for the ideas that you gave me. I've tried using the Foobar renderer and the Android player and everything works fine. I also just tried using another library (I have Plex) with the Cantata and I had the same problems. I switched the gapless off and nothing changed, so I guess the problem is with the Cantata as renderer.

My difficulty setting up the UPnP with the Cantata was that I was having difficulties finding the Cantata as renderer with BubbleUPnP. Later on I found out that JRiver18 and UPnPlay were able to find it, but it took me a while to go that route. I also think that the fact the I'm using a partly wireless network made it more difficult to be detected. It was only after I wired the Cantata to the Router and then put it on the wireless adapter that things started to work.

Thanks again for your ideas. Please let me know if you have any others. In the mean while I'll try to contact Resolution Audio.

Best regards

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

So it appears the UPnP identification difficulty may have been a networking one. I've actually come accross this wireless/wired anomally before and found it to be due to a fault in the network administering/controlling device, usually the router, not being able to forward UPnP data (multicast) between the wireless and wireless parts of the network. It also affects similar multicast using protocols such as Apple's AirPlay.

If you are using a licensed copy of JRiver, it may be worth contacting them, via their forum, as they may well have come across a similar problem before with other media renderers and are usually quite willing to sort these sort of problems out. They may be able to help you configure their server with a 'fix' or at the very least they'll be able to instruct you as to providing them with various error tracking log files, in order to try and work out what's going wrong. You can try posting on the media network section of their forum:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=7.0

Assuming you don't mind that sort of hands on approach, that is!

Best of luck

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

BTW, Cebolla, thanks for the hint in regards to Minimserver. It's great!