IGNORED

Star Trek: Into Darkness

• 2 weeks later...
Took a gamble with HDTracks. Looks reasonable. At least the noise band is inaudible. fbits says it is at least consistent with 24 bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5725[/ATTACH]

Still wish they didn't compress it so much... I'm getting a DR measure of 9 only and there's clear peak limiting on the waveform you're showing. As I recall, the HDTracks release of "Dark Knight Rises" was like this also :-(

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Not too long ago movie soundtracks seemed to be immune to the loudness wars. However most of Hans Zimmer's latest releases has had a good deal of compression applied to them. I was very disappointed in the sound quality of TDKR release. If I had known it was compressed I would have picked it up on iTunes or in CD form as opposed to getting the HDTracks release.

Not too long ago movie soundtracks seemed to be immune to the loudness wars. However most of Hans Zimmer's latest releases has had a good deal of compression applied to them. I was very disappointed in the sound quality of TDKR release. If I had known it was compressed I would have picked it up on iTunes or in CD form as opposed to getting the HDTracks release.

Yeah, sad. I wonder what is the rationale for compressing orchestral tracks like this... iPod commuters wanting louder audio?

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I am reminded when I went to see The Lorax, and there was a popular tune in the score, and i remember it being so loud, I almost walked out. It wasn't the theatre volume, it was the compression added that made it almost unbearable.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.