IGNORED

Steve Earle "The Low Highway"

24/96 download from HDTracks.

I'm a big Steve Earle fan, so I had to get his latest when I saw it on HDT. Musically, it's something of a mixed bag. There are a couple of wonderful heartfelt tracks, in the Townes Van Zandt style, but also a couple that I could live without. Not his best effort, IMO, but Earle fans will want this.

Sonically, it's also somewhat mediocre. It's a bit flat, not especially dynamic, and his voice was recorded, um, not well. It's kinda like he just recorded it in his basement with ProTools. None of his albums have great sonics, IMO. His best sounding might be Transcendental Blues, also 24/96 from HDT. At any rate, I'm guessing the CD will sound pretty much as good for less $$$.

SteveEarle_spec.jpg

SteveEarle_wave.jpg

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post, Beetlemania, I'm a Steve Earle fan as well, at least his older material... I just checked out The Low Highway from our library but have not listened to it yet.

I am interested in your comment "His best sounding might be Transcendental Blues, also 24/96 from HDT" That is a favorite album of mine. Did you find that HDT digital download a worthwhile ($ and sound quality) improvement?

Thanks

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

I am interested in your comment "His best sounding might be Transcendental Blues, also 24/96 from HDT" That is a favorite album of mine. Did you find that HDT digital download a worthwhile ($ and sound quality) improvement?

The HDT download is the only version I have of Transcendental Blues, so I can't speak to how much (if at all) better it sounds than the CD. What I can tell you is that the sonics are better than any of my Steve Earle CDs or the Low Highway download (I don't have any Steve Earle on vinyl). If you're a SE fan and love TB, then you might very well find the 24/96 download worthwhile.

Have you seen this?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

• 4 months later...

Holy crap that video just undid me. I knew Steve wrote that song but I've only ever heard Guy Clark sing it with Emmylou backing him up. Theirs is a beautiful version but seeing Steve sing it like that is so raw and bloody.

Thanks so much for sharing.

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

• 2 weeks later...