IGNORED

Smyth Realiser

Finally joined the site after lurking for a while. I noticed that not many if at all are talking about the Smyth Realiser A-8. It has been a godsend for me and can't recommend it highly enough, even if you have a good speaker system. It convincingly emulates stereo and surround setups, and sounds almost exactly like the system used for calibration. I use a Mac mini hdmi as the source. Just amazing.

There is a Dropbox account where people share their calibrations. There is a thread on Head-Fi about it. A lot of great systems are represented. Each calibration is very specific to the person doing the measurement, which is why the unit works so well. But that also means that someone else's measurements won't work as well for you. But I have had a couple from one particular person sound really good, probably because his ear size and shape is similar to mine. I likely will check into local studios or stores with nice listening rooms to see if I can do measurements there. Or fly out to LA and take advantage of the arrangement between Smyth and AIX records to have measurements done at AIX by one of Smyth's employees.

i am using the Stax system that comes with it. It is the base amp/phones set.

• 2 weeks later...

I am living in a rental apartment with thin walls and extremely quiet surrounding. You can imagine what's it like between neighbours when I blast my 7.1 HT system.

This is the reason why I am buying the Symth Realizer, allow me to watch movie even late at night......i hope. It is delivering next month......and I am upgrading my projector end of May... :) I hope I am doing the right thing.

(Audio)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have less luck, I guess.

I connect mine throught HDMI to an Oppo 93. Right now, the main issue is I got no sound until I completely plug out the DC power plug power and re-insert it. And once I change the soundtrack, I get no sound until I repeat the re-power process again.

I need to explore further. Maybe I am not doing it right but right now, the speaker mode sounded better than the headphone mode... :)

(Audio)

• 2 weeks later...

Took out the Oppo and used a media player instead.

Ah! This time, it works work for me...and I am using bitstream setting for the HDMI output.

Now it sounded right....no loss of audio during audio changeover.

It was so good that I forget I was listening with the headphone at 3am in the morning when the volume get loud, bang and boom, with those action scenes I was worried for a while until I realised the neighbours were still happily asleep when me donning headphones....... :)

I am putting the Smyth Realiser into the main system, now that I got a brand new projector!!

(Audio)