IGNORED

Yes The Yes Album HDTracks

Yes. That old Atlantic was cut way too low. Typical of the era and equipment.

Could be low because this is just one track from an album. There may well be a higher peak on another track. Back in those days, ME's didn't normalize every track to 0, like they often do today.

edit : and I see that there is, from post #40 -- Perpetual Change is the track that set the 'peak value' on that CD version. 92% of fullscale , which I think equates to about -0.7 dBFS. So it wasn't cut way too low, it was just cut the way LPs used to be: only one 'peak' on an album.

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Has anyone compared the MoFi version with the far more recent remixed version by the much lauded Steven Wilson? 

JC

Why would they?  Wilson's is a remix, starting from multitrack master tapes.  The MoFi is a remaster, starting from the two-track master tapes.  

A more apples-to-apples comparison would be to the 'flat transfer'  and 'archived flat transfer' of the two-track tapes, found as bonuses with  the Yes Album surround set.  ( I don't give a damn about vinyl.)

And count me as one who doe NOT find Wilson's Yes remixes 'uniformly spectacular'.    His two channel Yes remixes are all entirely secondary to Eddy Offord's, afaic. They always seem to be missing 'something'.   His 5.1 Yes remixes are spotty;  Yes Album and Fragile work well, but the rest are all lacking in some way (and Relayer, in particular, is a mess).