IGNORED

Battery backup

Last night I had the most amazing power outage. It was impressive. The bad news was that I was in process of ripping some Cd's. What do you guys use for your computers for battery backup? I have the whole house surge suppressor as well as many other devices at point. So I really just need something to battery power two HD's, Mac Mini and LCD.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I usually unplug stuff when a storm approaches. Battery backups are not really designed to keep you up and running when things go down. They are designed to keep you powered up just long enough to shut down 'gracefully'. I admit that this doesn't take care of the rare times when the power goes out without a storm obviously banging on your door. In those cases, I run Disk Utility on my Mac or Norton Utilities on the PC when I power them up later at the 'all clear'.

- maybe someone else here uses them.

Yes. There was NO storm though. The power just went out. If there was a big storm, I would've done what you suggested (as I usually do). There just wasn't any warning. I just want the battery backup just as you say to shut it down "gracefully".

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

... of all the units that you want to keep running in such an emergency (figure it using the MAX numbers and not the MIN for your equipment). That will tell you what to buy. Here is a configurator - it is the first one I found & I'm sure that there are more out there. This should give you a start though. Besides, I LIKE Tripp-Lite equipment.

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/selectors/ups/index.cfm

markr

... ugly and they work well. I have been doing semi pro audio for a long time and I look for deals on equipment. The best way to get your deal is to know what specs to consider for any particular purpose. I stumbled across a tripp lite power conditioner years ago (10 years I think) while looking for one for a computer. I bought a tripp-lite for it then. That one is still working without issues. No other reason really.

It shouldn't matter for your purposes anyway. The configurator will give you a model that will have specific ratings. Duplicate or exceed those ratings with any brand of UPS you choose (from your price or brand loyalty or warranty considerations) and you will then know which one to buy. Simple.

markr

PS: I hope this post make sense to you - it has been a very long day and it is time to put on the jammies.