IGNORED

Horrible Interferance and white noise from computer

csirus

Hello,

I am new to this site, and am looking for some advice.

I built my own computer, has the onboard realtek for audio(Asus P6T), and I get terrible interference/white noise through my speakers and headphones. I am open to pretty much anything to help fix this, I'm thinking of starting with a new case and MoBo for my computer. I have it pluged into what I think is a decent surge protector, I'm guessing upgrading to a Furman digital power consitioner will help? From there I plan on getting a DAC/AMP, soundcard, and slowly building up my setup.

My question is what would be the main source of this, and where should I begin to fix this? What are some good products that you recommend at entry price range. I can probly put about 200-250$ a week into funds for this. Time isn't so much a concern, I am willing to wait a little longer to obtain a better overall result. Thanks! If you need any add'l information from me feel free to ask.

I believe the speakers I'm using are the Logitech Z-2300, and headphones I use the Cooler Master Sirus for gaming, and AD700's for music. I understand these speaker's aren't great, but I would expect to get over 25% volume without horrible distortion and white noise, even without any sound playing.

My question is what would be the main source of this, and where should I begin to fix this?

Welcome CSirus,

It would immensely helpful, if you could describe your system architecture (hardware, software) a bit more in detail. Especially useful would be O/S and software used, which pieces of electronics are involved and how they are plugged together.

What I picked up from your post is this:

Asus P6T

Sound through on-board Realtek (analog out?)

Speakers Logitech Z-2300 (probably active)

Headphones Cooler Master Sirus, AD700 (not relevant)

Surge protector

How can you reproduce the problem and what did you do to fix the problem? Is there any music apart from the noise?

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Welcome CSirus,

It would immensely helpful, if you could describe your system architecture (hardware, software) a bit more in detail. Especially useful would be O/S and software used, which pieces of electronics are involved and how they are plugged together.

What I picked up from your post is this:

Asus P6T

Sound through on-board Realtek (analog out?)

Speakers Logitech Z-2300 (probably active)

Headphones Cooler Master Sirus, AD700 (not relevant)

Surge protector

How can you reproduce the problem and what did you do to fix the problem? Is there any music apart from the noise?

Thanks Iago!

So my computer consisnts of the following:

M/B: Asus P6t (all stock settings, no O/C)

Ram: 16 GB Gskill 1600

Video: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GTX680

H/D: 2 x 500GB WD Black 7200 rpm

CPU: Intel i5 not sure model #

I have all high quality music files (320MP3 or flac) which I play through winamp pro.

The noise runs through my speakers from when I turn it on the when I shut it off, no matter what is playing. My speakers are hooked up though the analog out on the back of the computer, my Sirus is through USB. The sirus' aren't as bad, but always produce white noise. It isn't just when I move my mouse like some people claim, its always. I will take a video when i get home to show all the componets and the sound I'm getting. If you need any other information please let me know.

If you tune your FM radio off station you get white noise, cause there's no signal for pickup at that frequency. The same is for digital audio, at some point in the cycle, the OS may interrupt, or the driver for the sound card may interrupt the stream. The signal to the sound card is gone.

Try using a player that takes control of the audio device, like Foobar or JRiver Media center to get you around the white noise problem.

The Logitech Z-2300 I believe don't ground the audio as their power connector is two prong only, so they float, and the noise goes with it rather than to ground. A better shielded cable may help between the Z-2300 but audio out connectors on computers can have the issue of not making a great ground connection and will always be a nuisance.

Suggest you get an M-tech, HT streamer, Musical fidelity V DAC or any inexpensive USB asynchronous DAC and bypass the audio card completely. It will still work for your games, with added realism to boot!

Another alternative, if you have a regular Hi-fi amplifier, plug the computer audio into that, and use the tape monitor out to drive the speakers, you will need a RCA to 3.5mm (1/8in) female jack to go to the logitech speaker. The amplifier will ground the audio properly and the interference is gone. That won't cure the white noise, just the aliens.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Awesome thanks 1 1/2!! I was thinking about getting the Headroom Dektop amp, which has a built in DAC. Any thoughts on that model? Hopefully that will help me with some of the issues! Also, would a power conditioner help much? or is that kinda just "snake oil"?

Also, would a power conditioner help much? or is that kinda just "snake oil"?

Power conditioners are made with another application scope in mind: they isolate from noise in the power grid. In your case the noise is transmitted between systems. What might help is an isolation transformer for the PC.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Awesome thanks 1 1/2!! I was thinking about getting the Headroom Dektop amp, which has a built in DAC. Any thoughts on that model? Hopefully that will help me with some of the issues! Also, would a power conditioner help much? or is that kinda just "snake oil"?

I haven't heard the Headroom Desktop Amp, so can't comment on its SQ, but it looks like a good start, since it has USB, optical coax inputs, plus a HP amp. You can drive the Logitech speakers from this amp, just need a RCA to 3.5mm female cable.

It's possible the interference should be gone, it depends on the power supply in the Headroom Desktop Amp, if it uses a 3 pin power cable, there's a good chance it will go. If not, you can use the optical out, some PC's have this facility.

I found plugging the Logitech directly into the green audio card socket worked better for noise. I use that speaker in my bedroom, from an Apple Airport Express.

Amplifier REC OUT --> Mac Mini Line input --> Airfoil --> Airport Express --> Logitech Z-2300.

There's no noise from that system.

As iago pointed out, a power conditioner is a different purpose. It absorbs noise from the power line, to some degree, but it won't help with between component noise what you have.

Classically in hi-fi systems you had (have) an amplifier, tape deck, turntable, tuner, CD. All the source components plugged into the amplifier, it was the central point, and it created the same frame of electrical ground reference. The outer shield of the interconnection cabling was at the same potential, and there was (usually) no noise. So the jumps between the source and the amp are one only which for noise reduction is great. For computer audio, there's always two jumps, the PC/DAC/Amplifier and that causes trouble.

A computer, Linux, CAPS, CAMS, Windows, OSX creates noise, it's what it does, the noise genie stays inside the computer. To comply with EMC Class B rules for domestic situations, computers MUST limit their noise to within these rules. One method to do this, they have a three prong power connector, one of these is connected to ground. Your Logitech speaker has its own version of a ground inside the electronics, and it is a different level to that of the computer's ground.

The Noise Genie being lazy finds the easiest path to escape and rather than go to it's earth point from its own power supply, it finds the Logitech speaker supply more attractive. It's sad that the music signal cable just happens to provide that path, but that's the reality. Signals that go through an intermediate system to another is trouble, but that's how computer audio works. Devices like the ifi iUSB divorces this type of noise, to a degree.

You can lure the noise to a different path by using a DAC with a grounded power supply, or an amplifier that has a good ground, that way the Noise Genie prefers that path and ignores the music signal route. When you plug in power cables to various devices, use the same power strip, and don't use cheater plugs.

Ok guys, I updated my system a bit, and am still receiving white noise. The white noise appears when I play audio through any player.

New setup PC via Foobar->Audio engine D1 Dac via USB->M-Audio AV40 via standard RCA

I put together a

to show my setup in more detail, and give you an idea of how awful the white noise is.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok guys, I updated my system a bit, and am still receiving white noise. The white noise appears when I play audio through any player.

New setup PC via Foobar->Audio engine D1 Dac via USB->M-Audio AV40 via standard RCA

I put together a

to show my setup in more detail, and give you an idea of how awful the white noise is.

Thanks for all the help guys.

thanks for posting the video, had to view the video a few times, sounds like transistor hiss. Only time I know that to occur is when the amplifier (the D1 DAC) volume is high and the signal source is very low in volume.

Few things to fiddle with.

Control Panel Sound :

Take off all enhancements, equalizers, and the bs that goes with that. Tick the box allow application to take exclusive control.

Set the computer's volume to maximum (0db).

Select No Sounds for audio (can't think which panel it is now)

Make sure the DAC 1 properties sample rate is set to 192/24.

Set Foobar volume to maximum, so it reads 0db.

Adjust the volume with the D1 Dac's volume control.

thanks for posting the video, had to view the video a few times, sounds like transistor hiss. Only time I know that to occur is when the amplifier (the D1 DAC) volume is high and the signal source is very low in volume.

Few things to fiddle with.

Control Panel Sound :

Take off all enhancements, equalizers, and the bs that goes with that. Tick the box allow application to take exclusive control.

Set the computer's volume to maximum (0db).

Select No Sounds for audio (can't think which panel it is now)

Make sure the DAC 1 properties sample rate is set to 192/24.

Set Foobar volume to maximum, so it reads 0db.

Adjust the volume with the D1 Dac's volume control.

Updated my setup a little more, everything is the same except I'm using an optical cable to connect the D1 to my computer now. Changed all the settings as you stated. Still getting white noise. I did everything you stated and am controling volume with dac. I can upload another video if it will help, but not too much has changed and still getting same noise.

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I fixed the issue by changing my driver to ASIO! No more white noise/buzzing, finally can enjoy my music the way it is ment to be heard! I also update my cables and interconnects to better wire, and that seemed to improve the sound quality a little more!

I have been struggling with high pitch interference and "white noise" as well. My system is in a rather hostile environment as I assume many others are as well (i.e. cable TV, TV's, computers etc.). After moving components around, cable changes etc. I finally found that the main culprit was indeed my Mac Mini. I moved it as far away from the rest of the system as my cables would allow and isolated the power. Cables do make a difference as well if you are using RCA. Make sure they are well shielded. Balanced cables obviously work best in these type of environments. After a year of frustration I now finally have silence!