IGNORED

New build

I know I'll get lots of suggestions so here goes.

I have no problems so far playing 16/44.1 files using iTunes from my outboard HD through my Vista (32bit) PC with a Xonar sound card to my BDA-1 via Toslink to my hifi. I have no back up yet but this seems simple enough from reading posts in this forum. What I really want to do is have a system that will play files of every level of resolution without my intervention every time different res files are played. I am willing to start from scratch to achieve this if I have to. I am not wealthy but I can see my way to a Lynx card (sound quality is extremely important) and already own the hifi and a very good DAC. So what I need to know is what would be the best hardware platform i.e. PC or Mac and what player would be best. I have no experience with Macs but am open minded. Perhaps a couple of scenarios would help like a no holds barred solution and a more cost effective option. Any hardware purchased for this would likely be dedicated with no other function than to play music. I do have a wifi network with the previously mentioned PC, another running XP sp3 (AMD Athlon 1800+ I think) and an Aspire laptop. A display at my listening seat would be great. Maybe a laptop or iPod touch or touchscreen display or whatever. I`ve kind of been waiting to see if this is going to come up in the Academy but wouldn`t mind getting started soon if I can get a clear direction. I am NOT very computer literate but can ask frends in IT at work for help sometimes and there is a geek next door!

Thanks

Tom

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

Tom,

I believe J River Media Centre now includes auto sample rate recognition.

Give it a go and under the output config try ASIO or WASAPI if you're using Vista. You may have to download these plug ins. (These plug ins are not related to your query but some believe, inc me, that they offer a better quality output than using the Vista audio engine).

Matt.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Thanks for the input Matt. If it's free I'll give it a whirl. I have MediaMonkey on my PC and haven't tried it yet. Is WASAPI necessary if you use a sound card? I have the ASUS Xonar DX I think (I can't remember the model but it was under $100 CDN) and use its SP/DIF optical output. It seems to work well but if WASAPI improves things I'll definitely try it. Where do you download the plug in and is it easy to install?

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

Tom,

I think there is a version of JRiver which is free, handling just audio files and not video etc. The full blown package gives you a 30 day trial I think.

WASAPI is another way of bypassing the Vista audio engine, similar to ASIO.

It should be straight forward enough to download it and select it from the audio output under the preference/options menu within JRiver. (Not used it for a long time - if you get stuck give me a shout and I'll download and write down the process for you here).

Whether there is an audible advantage to bypassing the Vista mixer though is debatable. I believe there may possibly be some facts out there to prove it could be better, as afterall, why should Vista resample your audio, can't it just leave it be !? .. let me know whether you hear any difference or not.

If you fancy some reading on this subject then find the XXHighEnd thread started by myself where you can find all sorts of techy stuff that may or may not be of interest.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

So I should use WASAPI (or ASIO for MM) whether I use a USB out from my PC or the optical out from my sound card? No more technical reading for me for a while! I must have read for 4-5 hours on this forum yesterday. Every time I thought I had something figured out some tech saavy guy would chime in with a dissenting opinion creating doubt and uncertainty in my mind! I know this thread is kinda redundant as there are several others but I think I nearly lost it yesterday trying to figure a path forward and just started this one out of frustration. So much reading and few little solid conclusions!

WASAPI plays what you feed it. If you feed it different sample rates, it will play them.

This of course assumes that the endpoint, in this case the DAC is able to handle bit depth and sample rate as supplied.

You must also enable exclusive mode to avoid mixing.

You can try this on your current setup using WMP11, Foobar or any other player supporting WASAPI.

If you don’t hear a difference between yes/no WASAPI, you have a problem less.

Likewise you can download some Hires , Accousense offer a couple of samples in 16/44.1 (CD) , 24/96 and 24/192.

Again check if you hear any difference at all. Btw: some DACs sound worse when playing at 192.

As far as I know, Mac OS don’t support automatic change of sample rates.

You might have a look at RPD (remote desktop) or VNC to remotely control the audio PC.

Dissenting opinions by the number, they can create doubts and uncertainy but it might also be an indication that the effect, if any at all is a very small one.

Fortunately there is a lot in computer audio you can try for free like different players, drivers, sample rates, etc.

Nothing wrong with reading, a must, but best practice in audio is to start where it ends, your own perception of the sound quality.

Thanks guys. I do trust my ears. The fact that the the Mac OS doesn't support automatic sample rate changes means I'm going PC. My DAC supports all rates up to and including 24/192. I'll probably just follow the PC Chris outlined in the Academy using what's available here in the Great White North. It's what I was thinking when I started my marathon reading of many threads and got myself all confused. I was also kind of looking for an excuse to get a Mac after all the nice things I hear about their OS. Anybody got a cheap Lynx card foe sale?

I think Lynx and RME are probably the top but the Juli@ has a pretty good reputation too and might be a more affordable alternative.

I must admit this is a opinion only based on hanging around on a couple of forums to many and to long. For short, hear say

O.K., thanks for that Chris. I can wait a bit but what price range are we looking at here? $1k, $5k, $10k? If it is competitive with the Lynx card option or a bit more I will consider it. I'd still have to get a Mac as well. The Lynx here in the Great white North is about $1k CDN. Does the Amarra require AES/EBU cables?