IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Zuma

Here are my experiences:

I just built my Caps Zuma using a Intel Core I5 4670T haswell processor and an Asus H87M-E mainboard. I used a Streacom NanoPSU instead of the recommended PicoPSU.

I had zero issues while building the Zuma. Everything fits and works perfectly fine.

I did have to install Windows8-pro twice because the initial installation considered my upgrade-productkey unsuitable as I did a fresh/clean install. This was solved by installing Windows8 a second time.

I also did a Prime95 stresstest to heat up the CPU, after 30mins the temperature reached 75 degrees Celsius. I don't think this system can be pushed to the max for hours and hours, it will probably throttle down to deal with the excess heat.

I't's a music server I can run it all day in it's role without issue, Prime 95 is a tough test for some fanless machines:

Streacom FC8 Evo Fanless Mini-ITX Chassis | silentpcreview.com

If you used an upgrade licence there should have been an OS present so there would be no need to install W8 twice. If you have used a brand new drive for whatever reason there is still no need to install it twice.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished a Zuma build using Chris' specs. Can't get POST, in fact no video at all. Checked w/ 2 monitors. I get 3 beeps indicating memory issues, but using brand new Crucial per spec. My HD is 840 Pro w/ Win 8.1 and Jriver from a previous build. Any ideas? I don't know how to diagnose with no image. Thanks, Norm

Just finished a Zuma build using Chris' specs. Can't get POST, in fact no video at all. Checked w/ 2 monitors. I get 3 beeps indicating memory issues, but using brand new Crucial per spec. My HD is 840 Pro w/ Win 8.1 and Jriver from a previous build. Any ideas? I don't know how to diagnose with no image. Thanks, Norm

There is always the possibility that the board or one of the memory sticks is DOA... To reach POST, HD, Win and JRiver are all irrelevant; unless you are recycling the Motherboard from the previous build, and the BIOS of the board was set not to show its splash screen in booting, which would make it very difficult to go into the BIOS. I see two possibilities: try a different memory stick, or if you use 2 sticks, try only one at the time; disconnect the SATA cable to the HD prior to booting to neutralize the impact of the old build which obviously has all the wrong drivers and settings forthe new hardware.

There is always the possibility that the board or one of the memory sticks is DOA... To reach POST, HD, Win and JRiver are all irrelevant; unless you are recycling the Motherboard from the previous build, and the BIOS of the board was set not to show its splash screen in booting, which would make it very difficult to go into the BIOS. I see two possibilities: try a different memory stick, or if you use 2 sticks, try only one at the time; disconnect the SATA cable to the HD prior to booting to neutralize the impact of the old build which obviously has all the wrong drivers and settings forthe new hardware.

Thanks, Marc. I have done all of those things to no avail. I think 'm going to return the MOBO since it had been tampered with, and start over. Norm

As a side note, I notice that about 30% of my typed characters on this site only do not appear. Does anyone else have this issue? Correction is really slow.

Thanks, Marc. I have done all of those things to no avail. I think 'm going to return the MOBO since it had been tampered with, and start over. Norm

As a side note, I notice that about 30% of my typed characters on this site only do not appear. Does anyone else have this issue? Correction is really slow.

Sounds prudent to return. At my end, everything on this site is A-OK with a speedy response time - and it has always been like that over time.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are my experiences:

I just built my Caps Zuma using a Intel Core I5 4670T haswell processor and an Asus H87M-E mainboard. I used a Streacom NanoPSU instead of the recommended PicoPSU.

I had zero issues while building the Zuma. Everything fits and works perfectly fine.

After a month my system suddenly stopped working (while it was running). After troubleshooting it looks like the motherboard died. Somebody suggested to me the CPU Voltage Regulation Modules (VRM modules) can't run for prolonged time while being passively cooled. Anybody any experience with that? Any other suggestions?

(Current state: the system won't start while being powered by a working Seasonic G-550 psu, everything is disconnected except the cpu and power-cables (atx+cpu). Afaik it should show at least the bios-screen.)

Sounds prudent to return. At my end, everything on this site is A-OK with a speedy response time - and it has always been like that over time.

I returned the MOBO, and thanks to a suggestion of one of our posters ordered an Intel DQ77MK. This was perfect for me as I had the PCI SOTM Card, and my external storage is Firewire. This Board has slot and I/O for both of those, and works perfect. The server is running with great sound. Thanks, Norm

When I use Remote Desktop, when logging on from a remote PC, my DAC (Aesthetix Romulus) disappears, and jRiver says Device not compatible. On Zuma's Monitor the Control Panel still shows the DAC, but it does not play music or test tone unless I re-set it. Once re-set it plays fine with jRemote until I log on with RDT. Then off the Bus again. All other remote functions seem to work. Any suggestions? Norm

Tyree91, when you log on via remote access first click on the settings at the bottom then go to sound (like the third tab in, I believe) and turn off the sound inputs from your remote computer, ie the computer you are accessing your music-server from. Then once set, connect with your server. I cant give you the exact jargon from work, unfortunately. PM and I can get it to you tonight.

Tyree91, when you log on via remote access first click on the settings at the bottom then go to sound (like the third tab in, I believe) and turn off the sound inputs from your remote computer, ie the computer you are accessing your music-server from. Then once set, connect with your server. I cant give you the exact jargon from work, unfortunately. PM and I can get it to you tonight.

Kevalin, thanks. That got me in the right place. For others who might need this:

On the login page click on Options>Local Resources>Remote Audio, click Settings> in Remote Audio Playback click the radio button for Play on remote computer>OK>Connect. Works perfect. Regards, Norm

Hi.

I built the CAPS v3 Zuma server earlier this year according to spec, with the following exceptions: (1) omitted the SOtM tX-USBexp is a USB 3.0 PCI express card and instead installed an ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI express audio card, and (2) installed Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. I'm using the coaxial digital output from the ASUS card in pass-through mode to an external DAC (Simaudio MOON 300D). JRiver indicates bit-perfect delivery of digital file, and the DAC indicates the appropriate frequency of the signal. The choice of installing the ASUS card is because it has an analog-to-digital converter that I use to digitize my LP collection.

My problem is that the audio played by this system is overly bright and lacks bass (playback through Simaudio MOON i7 integrated and Sonus Faber Auditor M speakers). I've tried the various drivers (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) with equivalent results.

I would appreciate your thoughts on why the sound is too bright and how to remedy the problem. Thanks for your help and thanks for providing a fantastic website.

• 3 weeks later...
Does it matter whether it's a PicoPSU or Streacom's own PicoPSU (150W)? And what is the purpose of the Sotm-tx-usbexp card? Is it required, or is it "optional"? Does one require the external battery PSU to have use of it?

As long as you have a sufficiently capable power supply of quality, no it does not matter. The Sotm card, which I've purchased and used, is meant to filter/clean potential electrical noise from the USB connection to the DAC. It does that to begin with, but it can be further enhanced by having an external power supply (ideally a linear power supply) to replace the power that travels in the USB connection from the PC to a clean external source. I've also tried that with an external linear power supply but failed to notice any improvement. It might have to do with the cleanliness of your power provider, age of the building you live in, etc. But when you run a dedicated music server where nothinh else than JRiver runs on it, you've already minimized the problem.

Good luck. Marc

Thanks! How about replacing the motherboard with a Haswell-compatible bord, like say DH87RL or DB85RL (or any other Haswell-motherboard for that sake)? Does the suggested Intel motherboard (DH77EB) have some features that makes it especially well suited for this kind of usage, or does it not matter what motherboard one use?

Thanks! How about replacing the motherboard with a Haswell-compatible bord, like say DH87RL or DB85RL (or any other Haswell-motherboard for that sake)? Does the suggested Intel motherboard (DH77EB) have some features that makes it especially well suited for this kind of usage, or does it not matter what motherboard one use?

The whole point of the suggested motherboard is that is fanless and operates with an external also silent power supply. I can confirm that it is plenty powerful to operate as a dedicated music server. Therefore, why use anything more powerful?

A product that piqued my curiosity and that came out since the original Zuma & Co. builts, is the Gigabyte Brix series, which features a S/PDIF port. I have not tested it but it would seem to me that S/PDIF should be superior to USB to feed an external DAC since there is no power passed on with the data.

Bright sound with Zuma and ASUS Xonar audio card

I built the CAPS v3 Zuma server earlier this year according to spec, with the following exceptions: (1) omitted the SOtM tX-USBexp is a USB 3.0 PCI express card and instead installed an ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI express audio card, and (2) installed Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. I'm using the coaxial digital output from the ASUS card in pass-through mode to an external DAC (Simaudio MOON 300D). JRiver indicates bit-perfect delivery of digital file, and the DAC indicates the appropriate frequency of the signal. The choice of installing the ASUS card is because it has an analog-to-digital converter that I use to digitize my LP collection.

My problem is that the audio played by this system is overly bright and lacks bass (playback through Simaudio MOON i7 integrated and Sonus Faber Auditor M speakers). I've tried the various drivers (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) with equivalent results.

Any thoughts on why the sound is too bright and how to remedy the problem?

I also have that ASUS card on my office PC. Have you tried for testing purposes, to output from the analog outs of the ASUS card, bypassing the 300D, and feeding the i7 directly. This would give you a baseline to start with and rule out certain other aspects. I also presume you know from other digital sources that the 300D functions properly?

A couple other places to look into:

If you go in the Sound piece of the Control Panel, what is checked as default is the S/PDIF Pass-through Device?

If you go in the Properties of the S/PDIF pass-through Device, in supported formats, insure that the sample rates are properly checked; then on the Advanced tab, pick at least 2 ch, 24b, 96000Hz.

In the JRiver menu, Tools/Options, with the Audio item selected in the left column, in the first item, insure that you've selected the S/PDIF...

Otherwise, I'm at lost as to what's wrong as it appears the bits are reaching the DAC.

Marc

The whole point of the suggested motherboard is that is fanless and operates with an external also silent power supply. I can confirm that it is plenty powerful to operate as a dedicated music server. Therefore, why use anything more powerful?

I take it that your response means that which motherboard to use doesn't really matter, as long as it fits the case and PSU?