IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I am having a problem getting AirPlay to work. I have checked the Streaming box yes under options on the Lumin.... but none of our apple devices on the network see the Lumin as option when they choose to AirPlay. Are there other steps I need to take to enable this function? Thanks

Just wondering do you have all the firmware updates LUMIN - Firmware Release Notes

The Truth Is Out There

I am running the latest V 5.0 firmware. The Macbook Air I use to login into my Synology NAS does not see the Lumin for AirPlay...Nor does an iPod Touch, macbook Pro and iPad... They do see the two Apple TVs I have

Do you have Lumin Streaming set to ON in their APP

The Truth Is Out There

Thanks for the quick response. I will check my network, but I suspect that is not the case as everything was working (AirPlay aside) previously. I think I plan to start from scratch and delete/reinstall Lumin App, Minimserver and Audio Station. One quick question...

1) I want to confirm if I need to install Audio Station on Synology at all? If yes, are here any configuration parameters?

The reason I thought I needed Audio Station was the following info on the Lumin Quickstart page:

Make sure the UPnP Media Server is started on your NAS. Instructions can be found on the websites of your NAS manufacturer. For example: Synology instructions and Qnap instructions.

The Synology instructions link seem to indicate that Synology Media Server (called Audio Station) was required for uPnP support...

Maybe I am confused and minimserver does not require Audio Station to be installed....Thanks

MinimServer is your UPnP AV music server. Here are the instructions from the MinimServer website for installing MinimServer on the synology NAS Installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS

The Truth Is Out There

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Feature request!

BIG playback (prev - play/pause - next) on the album art screen.

And in fact, bigger buttons on the main screen (even if only the touch area is expanded horizontally to fill the space above/below the icons).

I'm using a Ipad Air and those prev - play/pause - next command buttons seem like a decent size for the screen. Now for a mini, the size could be a problem.

The Truth Is Out There

• 6 months later...
I have a Lumin D1, and can play tracks sourced from Tidal, NAS drive (Synology DS 216+ with minim server) and USB flash drive. The Lumin app plays flawlessly.

I tried to compare the sound quality differences between inputs (Ethernet NAS drive vs. USB thumb drive). It appears that USB has slightly better imaging and dynamics. Wonder if this is what most Lumin users experiences.

Can the Lumin users share their experiences with USB vs Ethernet? Which one sounds better? Thanks!

Pretty much the same setup as you. My A1 and D1 to me sound the best via the Ethernet, the wife likes the USB connection. All I know the Lumin sounds very nice both ways, USB and Ethernet.

The Truth Is Out There

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 10:44 AM, kelly200269 said:

Anyone got any views on the D1 vs the A1?

I absolutely adore my D1, but since I've shifted most of my music listening to steaming/Qobuz (and the L1 is superb with the D1, BTW!), I'm wondering what sort of improvement I'd get by moving up to an A1?

I've got the D1 and the A1, with my external power supply my D1 sounds just as nice as the A1 and a whole lot less in cash outlay.

The Truth Is Out There

53 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I just logged into the Lumin app and there was an update for the S1.  I downloaded and installed the update only to find that the update was for version 8.04 dated 2017/6/9.  I am surprised that I "upgraded" to an old firmware release because I was at 8.04 for quite a while.

What gives?  Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I just checked, the latest Lumin app is 6.0.9  dated 06-12-17  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lumin/id524332800

Interesting

The Truth Is Out There

2 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I was talking about the firmware residing on the S1 and not the Lumin app itself.  I wonder if the Lumin devices keep a log of the various firmware updates and when they were applied.  I suppose it's conceivable I missed the update for an entire month but I don't think so because I update firmware as soon as the app says one is available.

I checked the Lumin app on my Apple device and, as you said, it is v6.0.9 dated 2017-06-10.

Sorry about that I saw the Lumin app and assumed it was a app not the firmware.   That's a good question for Peter of Lumin.  . If the Lumin maintains a log of firmware updates within. I just wondering if they have a separate firmware level for each unit they manufacture.

The Truth Is Out There

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AZ Craig said:

Based on your experience, I signed up for the free trial as I had let my Tidal subscription run out some time ago.  While the MQA sounds great, I am disappointed over how few of their albums are available on MQA.  In total, I only see 457 albums across all genres and, naturally, many of the oldies were recorded in lower res formats.

I'll give it 60 days and see if they begin to offer a more robust selection of MQA offerings before I decide to just stay with Qobuz.

AZ there is more than 457 MQA listed in Tidal Masters area.   That 457 number is what Tidal stuck out there as some recommended list, check this running list out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10VtON9VjMAt3uyHC2-Oo2MjIa3orv9DKZfwiRQKmTAA/edit#gid=945476039 

PS that list came from the from community.   https://community.roonlabs.com/t/discovered-tidal-master-mqa-albums/17975

The Truth Is Out There

5 hours ago, ThierryNK said:

Hi

I find very "strange" that people with high end Hifi gears are so interested in MQA that is a lossy format.

When lossy formats appear "better" than lossless ones on a system, it makes me consider acoustic/speakers/amplifier issues but never leads me to the conclusion that the lossy format is "better".

In rooms with acoustic issues, and/or poor amplification and/or poor speakers, MP3 appears also "better" than 16/44, as dynamic range is lower, with less bass and less treble, and finally less demands on room/amplifier/speakers.

Kind regards

Maybe we just want to hear MQA for ourselves instead of having others tell us MQA is crappy.

The Truth Is Out There

6 minutes ago, ThierryNK said:

You are also free to evaluate Voodoo as in this video. Above 22 KHz, there is no audio, for microphones reasons first, even at a zillion KHz sampling. Moreover, human ears cannot listen above 20 KHz in the best case.

So when someone starts its pseudo-scientific marketing by lies, lack of knowledge, confusion or deliberate will, it is also my right to report it.

After that, you are free to test whatever you want.

Kind regards.

Why screw up a good thread that is about Lumin products with MQA mumbo jumbo and WHYS its not worth it.  I've heard Stuart MQA sells spill at the various audio shows, left me with a headache so I do not need any addition mind benders.  PS Its up to Lumin users to decide if MQA is worth it or not.  

The Truth Is Out There

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hcalland said:

Hello All

lately I have been experiencing what sounds like sporadic drop outs when playing music through either my NAS or Tidal. They are usually short  in duration; from 3 to 7 seconds. I've owned my LUMIN for about 2 years now, and this is the first time I have had any hint of a problem with it.

I use a LUMIN A-1, and it's connected to my home network via a standard Cat-6 cable. It's a long run from my family room to my listening room, just a little under a 100 feet. 

Anyone experience this problem who can offer advice on the problem and a solution.

Thanks guys

Herb

I get it, but only from Tidal.   I know its not my Lumin because it occurs on my Brookynn , and just plain streaming via my PC.   I've got a 60mbps service and when I get these drops i do a speed test and I'm right up there where I should be.  I really think this is something to do with Tidals "equipment" or their provider to the world, wherever the heck that really is. .  Of course this is just my opinion. 

The Truth Is Out There

I just ran that test,  Peter

Latency: 23ms
Speed: 14.6Mbps

My ISP 59.89Mbps

Peter where is Tidals music service located , wherever the music streams from ?   I read Tidal is provided by Aspiro AB which provides lossless music streaming services under two brands, Tidal & WiMP and its a Norwegian company, does that mean we are streaming from overseas if in the US. 

The Truth Is Out There

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...