IGNORED

Dave Brubeck RIP

Just heard that Dave Brubeck died at the ripe old age of 91. Amazing musician/composer. Thanks for the great music Dave!

The first Jazz album I ever purchased in my early teens which remains one of my favorites was the Time Out album from Sam Goody's in NYC. I was mesmerized by Brubeck, Desmond, Wright and Morello who died a few years ago. I now have four versions of it not counting the LP.

Time Out, Dave.

Best,

Richard

I forgot to mention that when I first met the woman I married, the first time I called and got her answering machine instead, Take Five played for several seconds before the voice message started. That is not the only reason I proposed marriage a year later.

Best,

Richard

Sorry to hear the sad news. In 1987 we were fortunate to spend an afternoon with Dave and his lovely wife Iola in their home in Connecticut. Pearl even got to play on Dave’s Baldwin concert grand. Dave shared with us some of the sections of the Mass that he was writing for the upcoming visit of the Pope to San Francisco. His eldest son Darius, who was a professor of music in South Africa at the time, is named for Darius Milhaud, who was Dave’s professor at Mills College. I don’t think that most people realize how well trained Dave was in classical composition. One of his other son’s, Chris dropped by that day also. Our connection to the Brubeck’s came from one of my brothers who met Chris during Lamaze classes. Recently one of Chris’s compositions was featured on a Reference Recording release. We offered to and did help their youngest son, Matt and his wife, who were in the process of relocating to the SF Bay Area. Matt studied cello at Yale and performs both classical and jazz cello. Dave and Iola were genuinely nice people.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files