IGNORED

Ripping audio from a DVD?

bigjppop

New to the site (I like it very much and got turned onto it over at Head-fi.org) and was wondering if anyone here could assist in a software question.

I want to rip the audio tracks from some of my DVD (these are not DVD-Audio discs) and store them as WAV files. I have a lot of concerts on DVD and would like to listen to them without watching the show. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread offers some advice for converting the audio portion of "regular" DVD's to iTunes compatible files for the PC but does anyone have any tips for Mac users?

I own many music DVDs like the Eagles hell freezes over or Dave Brubeck Live in '64 & 66. I'd like to be able to play the stereo audio tracks, in their original full resolution, through iTunes. Like most things computer and audio it seems this should be simple but it is not. On my several years old work MacBook running OS X 10.4.11 I was able to use Mac the Ripper to convert the music to .PCM files. However, the choice seems to be either to rip one gigantic PCM file of the whole disc (using "mode" and “title only”+demux) or painfully rip every chapter individually. Both approaches blow. The more insurmountable problem is that the utility program "AIFF from PCM" absolutely refuses to work on my one year old MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.6. My work computer goes away in two weeks so just using it is not an option.

I've tried other software combinations to accomplish this but to no avail. Switch, RipIt, HandBrake, isky-dvd-ripper, etc

Can anyone suggest a straightforward way to convert the individual tracks of my “music” DVD’s to AIFF tracks playable in iTunes? One final note, I am not opposed to buying reasonably priced software to accomplish this task – with the obvious stipulation that it actually does the job. Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Biases: Tubes, full-range speakers, bang-for-the-buck components, Americana Classical and Neil Young, Apple.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as Teck13. I'd love to be able to rip regular DVDs to AIFF for more convenient play on my iTunes+Mac. In my case I run OS X 10.4.11.

Anyone with experience doing this on the Mac?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

I have been trying out a number of DVD rippers for the Mac. Let me say that there are many very very very poor programs out there. Note that in my case, I'm only interested in recording/ripping the audio track.

I'm still not done with this, but what I am evaluating right now is Audio Hijack Pro. This allows you to "Hijack" the audio output of a given application (and other sources) and then record it to mp3 or aiff format. So in my case I hijack the DVD Player application, cue up (right before) the track I want, and then hit "record" at the right moment.

So far, it is quite promising. There doesn't seem to be any track editing features however. I'm going to want to be able to, at least trim the start and stop times, so I might use this along with Audacity.

A rather cool thing about this software is that if offers a large number of "effects" you can use while recording. I don't picture myself using this... but really it's probably a lot of fun. :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

This was a frustrating process, trying different software and no answers on the net. EZToo Software looked promising but avoid it at all costs. They will take your money and you'll discover that "there is no one behind the curtain" when the software doesn't do what it claims to do. Their refund offer is as bogus as the company itself. Cinematize is slick and works but it is a two step process since it will not rip protected DVD's. Mac the Ripper (or other similar software) has to be used first.

Finally, I discovered a utility software program called; Shine DVD to MP3 Converter.app. It was relatively inexpensive and it WORKS. They even respond to customer support questions sent via email. Imagine that.

The software's name is misleading, you can adjust the settings for maximum quality and decode by chapter so you get each SEPARATE track at full DVD (48 kHz/1536 kb/s) resolution. You have to enter all the track info/names manually but the music is all there.

I trust this posting helps those with the same issue I had.

Biases: Tubes, full-range speakers, bang-for-the-buck components, Americana Classical and Neil Young, Apple.

• 10 months later...