IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I am in the process of moving from a Logitech Music Server setup to jriver. One of the options available on LMS is to view my music by music folder. I have all my live music stored this way with similarly named folders. When I view them on my SB Touch they show up as one row for each folder. Is there a way to do this in jriver? My plan is to have 1 view for commercially available music (downloads and ripped CDs) and another for live music. I want to keep the folder view if possible since the individual files are not tagged.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

The view called files will show location and file type, but you can show anything (like folder name next to location). Clicking on location (say "D drive") will explode out to your two major folders. Or show us what you mean by means of a screen capture from LMS. I can probably mimic it. Any view can be saved and shown in JRemote, too (as stated above).

Thanks Ted. I'll get you a screen capture tonight.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

The view called files will show location and file type, but you can show anything (like folder name next to location). Clicking on location (say "D drive") will explode out to your two major folders. Or show us what you mean by means of a screen capture from LMS. I can probably mimic it. Any view can be saved and shown in JRemote, too (as stated above).

The folder view is on the left. Actually, all my music is in this view.

LMS.jpg

I have a view question/issue.

I have imported all my music in my library. I want to set up a view which only contains music from one of the folders. So, I added a rule which says that filename (name) contains \\MUSICSERVER\All_Music\Others\. However, nothing shows up. I know this path is correct since when I look at one of the folders in another view this path shows up in the properties. What am I doing wrong?

David,

You need to use filename (path) I just tried it and it works.

I had tried that initially and it didn't seem to work. I edited the rule to just have "Others" and that worked.

Boy, do I have a lot of tags to fix. This is what happens when you collect a lot of live music.

When I add a view in jriver I them go and add it to jremote. However, I am not seeing the new view in jremote. I tried closing jremote and reopening it mid there something else I need to do?

Also, is there a way to copy a custom view so that you can "paste" and edit it under a different name?

That's what I did. Here's a screen shot of that from my setup:

Untitled.jpg

Except, all the items on the list are not showing up in jremote.

I disconnected from the server and reconnected and all the views are now there.

I don't like the fact that the key doesn't work and I have to enter the IP address directly. That shouldn't be the case. But it works for now.

Ted, I am.

Despite the elementary nature of my questions, I am pretty good with all this stuff. And I am one to think that most of the issues are user error, but there is clearly something not 100% right with the communication between jriver and jremote.

I just joined the forum.

Thanks.

And I don't mind you asking since, as I said, issues are usually user error.

Library Refresh Question

Now that I am accessing my music through jriver I am cleaning up album tags. What do I need to do or what settings should I set so the views will be updated with the new tags? After I made a bunch of changes I noticed that the updated tags did change the view. The view showed the old ones.

To make sure your tags are in the library pick the files, right click, then Library tools -> Update library (from tags). What views? JRemote might require restart on ipad.

Also...make sure "update tags when file info changes" is checked in the edit menu pulldown.

Final also...usually a restart of JRiver will update the views if all else fails.

I see what the issue is. My view had the field "album artist" but I edited the tag "artist" I just need to edit the custom view to sort by artist and then album.

Not sure what the difference is between album artist and artist. I guess the artist can vary by track on each album for a compilation.

Use album-artist (auto) field in views, as per my video and our discussions over the phone. It automatically looks at the album and if its a single artist it updates album-artist automatically. Here's more detail:

Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto) - JRiverWiki

I will have to play with this since the albums did not group by artist until I changed it from album artist (auto) to artist. And I think all my album artist fields are blank so it should ignore that and use artist.

I posted this on interact but I thought answers to it could be of value to others here.

Usability Question

In my library let's say I have 2 Bonnie Raitt albums. When I click her icon it then shows the cover art for each of the albums. If I double tap on one of the albums the next screen shows an icon for each song, but it doesn't show the song title. I think it is showing the bit rate. How do I get it to show the song titles? Is this an issue with how I originally set up the view in MC?

Also, how do people play the entire album? Do you press and hold the album cover icon and press "play now"?

• 2 weeks later...

Tagging Question

For those of you, like me, who have multiple versions of the same album, how to you tag them to distinguish them? For example, I have a number of copies of Sonny Rollins "Way Out West." I was thinking of tagging them with a descriptor such as "Way Out West - SACD" or "Way Out West - OJC" or "Way Out West - Vinyl Rip." Before I spend time doing this I was wondering what others have done.

Great comments. A lot to think about since I have a lot to tage properly.

After making the tagging changes how long should it take for it to show up in MC or jremote? At times I find that it isn't immediately.

Ted, nice job on part 2. When you get a chance can you post a screen shot of your customized view rules of view by sample rate? That view seems very good view for cleaning up tags.

Perfect - thanks.

I have searched high and low and likely have a blind spot. How does one change the font size on a view in both jriver and jremote?

I am trying to add a view for my DSD files. So, I wanted to have a rule that the file type is .dsf. However, that file type is not in the drop down list. I looked to see where one adds file types to the list but I can't find it.

Ted, I saw .dsf in your drop down list in the video so clearly this can be added.

Ted, DSF was checked but it wasn't showing up in the drop down. However, when I set the rule to bitrate equal to 5564 it singled out the DSF files. Then, when I added a second rule for filetype, .dsf did show up in the list. It seems like it is a little bug but not insurmountable.

One of the things I have learned about jriver is that it will find all the duplicates in your library. I have deleted a lot of redundant folders which I found only by clicking on an album and seeing 2 or 3 versions of the same song.

• 2 weeks later...

Library Update

I am still noticing that it can take several jriver restarts for music that I have added to my library to show up. And, sometimes it shows up without the cover art.

I know that things are set up to update since the music eventually shows up, but I don't know why I have to restart for that to happen. And even then it may not immediately appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Jremote question

Sometimes when I select an album the next screen shows cover art for each song but instead of showing the name of the song beneath it shows the bitrate. I seem to have the same configuration for 2 different views but they don't show the same information.

image.jpg

image.jpg