IGNORED

Speaker Burn In And Burn In In General

bhobba

I have a pair of speakers (ML1 Reference) whose terminals broke and had to be returned to the manufacturer and fixed.

Anyway while they were being fixed the guy that makes them (Mike Lenehan who fortunately is just down the road on the Gold Coast from where I live) had a chance to re-measure them and compare them to when they left the factory.

Guess what - they now measure better - frequency response is flatter - for example a slight about 1db suckout in the the critical midrange is gone - I saw the measurements and can confirm it.

I asked Mike why is that? Well its not the drivers themselves - they break in very quickly. It's the inductors and capacitors.

There have been many threads talking about burn in in general and speakers in particular. You have one side saying its simply people getting used to the sound and the other side saying they can hear clear and audible differences. Well now we have an objective measurement proving its real and not just getting used to the sound.

Thanks

Bill

"Well now we have an objective measurement proving its real and not just getting used to the sound."

Bill;

Interesting report, and I do not doubt your experience. Yes, it appears to be an anecdotal confirmation of a point of view here. Since a technician measured pertinent variables and found significant differences in what were the original and now present numbers, it would be nice if you could post those numbers here, so they can be seen and discussed. We may be able to learn a great deal from them. :0)

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz