IGNORED

Ayre QB-9

Dan,

Though I haven't tried it, Gordon probably has tried everything out there. So it's probably good advice. Unless you plan on using it 24/7 and leaving it on around the clock, I would use the DAC the way you normally would and it will settle in and sound optimal for whatever is normal use for you.

I started in computer audio using an IMAC / Itunes combination connected to a Levinson 390s CDP with Toslink-SPDIF for over a year and was very happy with results. Last February a friend loaned me a Benchmark Dac 1 USB to use while he was overseas. I tried many configurations with the Benchmark but I just did not like it as much as using the 390s as the DAC. In May I was able to audition the Ayre QB-9 in my system. I found that I preferred the QB-9/ Imac combination to the 390s/Imac setup and not by a small amount. The presentation of vocals with the QB-9 has a wonderful clarity that I have not heard in my system. Since purchasing the QB-9 I have had the chance to extensively compare the Imac / QB-9 to the 390s (playing the CDs). I much prefer the sound from the computer and I rarely use the 390s. I also will confirm that there is a long break-in period with the QB-9, but it is well worth it.

A flaw in reasoning is a mistake in how conclusions are derived from assumptions, not a mistake in assumptions.

AB835

Dan,

While Charlie may disagree with me on this here is my take on burnin:

I always get a chuckle when I read a review where the person left the amplifier or CD player running for a week and then started listening.

Most of the mechanical parts in a product, be it transformers, tubes, capacitors, inductors and even some resistors and solid state devices need to be cycled. When first created they are set in a position internally that is not optimal for listening. But leaving the unit on only moves them to the dark side.

What I suggest is a random use of the product cycling the power and letting the component find it's resting place. This is the only way to truly burnin a product to it's best sonic potential.

So just be patient and play it as you normally would and things will fall into place. If you run it constantly then things will kind of fall, but not always in place.

Thanks

Gordon

You use tubes, I use transistors. So we *always* disagree! (joke)

My experience is a bit different than Gordon's and it's probably because he uses tubes and I use transistors. In my experience the main thing that burns in is the dielectrics -- capacitors, wire insulation, and PCB's.

My preferred break-in procedure is to play mellow (classical) music on repeat for at least two weeks. The PCB material we use takes a long time to break in and it will happen faster with signal going through it, so put it on repeat. Gordon is correct, though -- if that is *all* you do, the system can kind of go "flat".

But there is something that is easier and more reliable than Gordon's method of random cycling. Simply buy the Ayre IBE CD. Ayre dealers sell it for $20 or you can get it from Music Direct online. Then for computer DAC's, just rip it like any other CD.

But don't play the whole disc!!

If you are in a hurry, play track one -- it's only one minute. If you have time, play track seven -- it's five minutes. Play one of these tracks at least once a week and better yet, once a day. It's exactly the same thing as cleaning your glasses. You need to do it every so often.

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

I've never been a great believer in burn-in, but must confess I've found myself enjoying the QB-9 more and more with a couple of hundred hours of play time on it. One particularly neat experience was having a friend with a very good vinyl rig and A/D facilities make some high-res rips of particular pressings we both own and then comparing those played through the Ayre with the actual records spun on my own turntable. I preferred the digital files by a long shot, so I guess I either need to spend more money on the analog front end -- or to sell it altogether!

Looking forward to the Stereophile review this month. I hope they gave it to one of the guys who uses an Ayre disc player as a reference because that, for me, would be a very interesting comparison.

• 4 months later...

After a few months passed, do some of you have more insights about the true quality (and also weaknesses) of the Ayre QB9 USB DAC?

I' m seriously interested in this nice piece od electronic. The NAIM DAC is also anotherpossible contender. I had the NAIM gear at home for some days. But I can't test the AYRE DAC in-house. So, it will be a blind purchase (aside from 10 min quick audition early Dec. in a shop outside of France).

I own WILSON SOPHIA and very transparent CELLO monblocks (E150) with a vintage SHINDO tube preamp. Using MacBook as a source for computer audio.

Thanks in advance for your comments and detailled feedback on the QB9.

Cheers

Daphile or VortexBox based audio player with ASUS MB and fanless Streacom case. Paul Hynes and Teddy Pardo linear supplies. SSD drive. Paul Pang SATA cable on its way...